Caribbean Princess-Escape Completely, from San Juan.

mnbruce

A few weeks ago we took one of the last Princess cruises that will go out of San Juan. During the cruise the staff gave us a few reasons why they thought that Princess is done with Puerto Rico, but my guess would be that Americans just don't want to pay the prices to fly there, especially when they can fly to places like Florida so cheap, so they end up discounting cabins to those living in Puerto Rico. Whatever the reason, it was a business decision and I am not going to whine about it, just say it disappoints me. This was our third cruise out of San Juan, second on the CB. The reason I like San Juan as a starting point is that you can get down to those southern islands without needing sea days to get to them and you can do 5 ports on a one week cruise. Oh well, it is what it is and if we really want to do another cruise from there we can just do it on another cruise line.

This was our third time on Princess over the last two years, all on the CB, so we now feel pretty comfortable on that ship. The first cruise two years ago was a great cruise mostly because of the Southern Caribbean itinerary, but the on board experience was just ok. We thought the food was satisfactory and the staff was efficient but nothing special. Last fall we did the NE/Canada tour and had a really nice time, both with the itinerary and the on board experience.

The itinerary was St Maarten, St. Lucia, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba. We had been to the first two islands before so this time we just relaxed on St. Maarten and hired a guide on St. Lucia to show us parts of the island we had not seen the first time. On Grenada we hired someone I found on the net and had a great day. On both Bonaire and Aruba we rented a car. Bonaire was ok, but we had a really nice day driving Aruba and I am sure we will return soon on a land vacation.

Before we left I mentioned to my wife that it would be nice to see our favorite crew members from the fall cruise, but it was unlikely that they would be on the ship. As it turned out they were all on board,with two just getting on to start new contracts and our favorite was near the end of this contract which just ended the other day. The nice thing was that all three noticed me before I noticed them and they all made a point of coming up to me to say hi. One even said he was watching for me because one of the others had told him that I was on the ship. Nice touch.

The one concern we had before this cruise was our dinner arrangement, which for the first time was Anytime Dining. We like Traditional Dining but we booked so late that we never got off the waiting list. The first night we went to dine and we asked for a table for two. We ended up with a fantastic waiter named Janelle, who made it a great experience. We decided for the first time to skip bringing formal wear so the next night we did the Crown Grill. On the third night we asked if we could get a table for two again in Janelle's section, but were told it would be 40 minutes so we just took what was available. The waiter that night was efficient but the experience was not the same. Well, the next night the head waiter knew what we wanted before we even said anything, so that and each night after that, other than the night we did Sabatini's, we were at a table for two in Janelle's section. One night there was only a table for 6 available but he still gave it to us by ourselves. So in the end our dinner experience was very postitive because of the staff, but I also thought the food was actually better than on the last couple of cruises. Janelle made sure I gained weight by bringing more dishes than we had ordered every night, so we probably looked like pigs with our table full of food. On the last night I told her to not bring all the extra food, but she gave me a little smirk. I then told her that she should not argue with the customers, so she agreed, then ignored my request. :)

This cruise was a great experience overall and we wished we had done a back to back. Thank you Princess and a big thank you to the staff. I'm sure we will sail on Princess again sometime, but if we want to do another Southern Caribbean itinerary it will have to be with another cruise line.

I've posted a few photos below, but if you are interested in seeing others from our trip, they are here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Aruba crab

IMG7215-XL.jpg

Every night we ended up at the disco. Mario, our favorite staff member was up there and the rest of the crew up there was great also.

IMG7460-XL.jpg

IMG7474-XL.jpg

IMG7473-XL.jpg

IMG6853-XL.jpg

It always comes down to supply and demand and, follow the money. There wasn't a huge demand for cruises sailing out of San Juan, probably due to the high airfare, limited number of flights, and longer time needed to fly there. That's why the ship sailed so late (I think it was 11:00pm): to give passengers time to arrive and get to the ship. Many opted to fly in the day before which necessitated a hotel for the night. Not too many inexpensive hotels in San Juan. Princess wound up almost giving cabins away to Puerto Ricans in order to fill the ship, possibly because few people from the continental US could book a last minute flight and they certainly couldn't drive there.

That goes along with what I was thinking Pam, as there were many from Puerto Rico on board. It did give me a great opportunity to work on my weak Spanish skills.
Just spend some time in SoCal if you want to brush up on your Spanish. :)

Just spend some time in SoCal if you want to brush up on your Spanish. :)

LOL! That's actually where I started to pick up Spanish. I went to school in Los Angeles during the eary 70's. I also go to Mexico on a regular basis, but still have a ways to go before it all comes naturally.

There wasn't a huge demand for cruises sailing out of San Juan, probably due to the high airfare, limited number of flights, and longer time needed to fly there. That's why the ship sailed so late (I think it was 11:00pm): to give passengers time to arrive and get to the ship. Many opted to fly in the day before which necessitated a hotel for the night.

I love sailing out of San Juan. It's a wonderful city and fun to explore. I'm sad that Princess is done with SJ, but I understand the business decision.

I like the late sailing - even though I fly in the day before. And, it's not like it takes that long to get to the next port. ;)

I am glad there are alternatives. I'd prefer Princess, but Celebrity out of San Juan is fine too.

I thinik it gives you more of a cruise feel by leaving from SJ. Normally, we get an extra port day or at least better port times when you sail from SJ. I will and have cruised from Florida, but I will also try or go back to some other lines in order to cruise from San Juan.

I thinik it gives you more of a cruise feel by leaving from SJ. Normally, we get an extra port day or at least better port times when you sail from SJ. I will and have cruised from Florida, but I will also try or go back to some other lines in order to cruise from San Juan.

I agree 100%. I also like the choice of ports on a 7 day cruise much better.

Your photos are wonderful :)

I was on the CB's very last Southern Caribbean sailing on 4/22 and had a wonderful time. I'll be sailing on her again when she comes to Galveston in November 2013. Hopefully some of the same crew will be there.

I'm not giving up my favorite southern route though. I'm planning to be there again in January 2013 and January 2014 on Royal Caribbean. Their Radiance class is my favorite anyway, and they are sailing to a couple ports that will be new to me.

Oh this is sad, I didn't know the CB was leaving San Juan. Chalk me up as another who loved the southern itineraries with 5 ports. Just seems like ships leaving from Florida's Atlantic coast always do the same ports.

Any idea what the itinerary will be out of Galveston?

We were on CB this past winter and heard many times that there were issues with the San Juan dock workers and the cruise line over the price of docking.

Have no clue but I still see RCC Summit out of PR and it is a great itinerary and docks in much better areas. I guess they dealt with whatever issues there were.

I hope the dock worker issue is resolved if it is true. Love San Juan and have had such great times flying in before sailing.

Still, loved our first Princess cruise and Caribbean Princess.

Your photos are wonderful :)

I was on the CB's very last Southern Caribbean sailing on 4/22 and had a wonderful time. I'll be sailing on her again when she comes to Galveston in November 2013. Hopefully some of the same crew will be there.

I'm not giving up my favorite southern route though. I'm planning to be there again in January 2013 and January 2014 on Royal Caribbean. Their Radiance class is my favorite anyway, and they are sailing to a couple ports that will be new to me.

Thank you! We were on two weeks prior to you. If we do another Southern Caribbean it will only be out of San Juan, so it could Royal Caribbean for us also. I've cruised with them once, but it was 16 years ago.

Really great photos! Thanks for sharing! I agree, it always surprises and pleases me when crew who remember me come up to say hi. Definitely a bonus of returning time and again to the same ship.

Thank you! It is nice since it means you made some type of impression, good or bad.:)

Archived