chops with 14yr old, 13 yr old, and 12.5 yr old?

Quite possible the kids won't want to dine in Chops with us, but if they did want to on one night how likely is it that their ages would actually be checked at the door? No flames here please, I don't want to dine with unruley children either. I wouldn't even ask if they didn't know how to behave in public. for real.

Has anyone been "carded" going to specialty restaurants with their teens? I am aware they are allowed in before 7pm, we like to eat much later. I am also aware the age is 13 so I'm really only talking about a 12.5 year old.

thanks!

Quite possible the kids won't want to dine in Chops with us, but if they did want to on one night how likely is it that their ages would actually be checked at the door? No flames here please, I don't want to dine with unruley children either. I wouldn't even ask if they didn't know how to behave in public. for real.

Has anyone been "carded" going to specialty restaurants with their teens? I am aware they are allowed in before 7pm, we like to eat much later. I am also aware the age is 13 so I'm really only talking about a 12.5 year old.

thanks!

Honestly....I do not think you would have a problem...

My only question is....paying $30 a head for them worth it?:mad:

When you make your reservation that ask for who is dining. Along with your seapass/name is your age so they know immediately how old everyone on the reservation is. No need to "card".

Personally, if your kids enjoy the food, you feel it is worth it for them, and they will sit for the long drawn out dinner, book for 6:45 then enjoy your dinner.

You need to make reservations for the specialty dining and the ship will have the ages of your children on file and shouldn't allow you to book anything after 7:00 PM as you have an under 13 yo. No carding required.

Gregg

I've never been asked age when making my reservation for Chops. They only ask room numbers of the guests that are attending.

As another posted stated, there is not childrens discount, so is the $30 per person fee really worth it for smaller children. Also, I get antsy sitting there for hours, I couln't imagine how bored your kids would get.

For a nice dinner like that, just make it a date night for adults.

Two years ago we were a family of 6 and our son was 12.5 years and when we went to book after 7pm. It denied us and said that one of your party is under 13 and would not be allowed to dine at this time. Please try it anyway maybe things have changed but the know the ages of everyone on each seapass card.

The rules are pretty clear. If someone in your party is under 13 years of age, then you must wait until you board to book, and you must choose a dining time that starts no later then 7pm. Not difficult to understand, and I don't think that there is anything left open to interpretation.

thanks!

I did not have any issues when I took my 9 and 12 year old daughters. Enjoy.

Two years ago we were a family of 6 and our son was 12.5 years and when we went to book after 7pm. It denied us and said that one of your party is under 13 and would not be allowed to dine at this time. Please try it anyway maybe things have changed but the know the ages of everyone on each seapass card.

thank you for answering my question! I will try, although it isn't until feb 2013 LOL!

The rules are pretty clear. If someone in your party is under 13 years of age, then you must wait until you board to book, and you must choose a dining time that starts no later then 7pm. Not difficult to understand, and I don't think that there is anything left open to interpretation.

I am not asking what the rules are, or what your interpretation of them is, but thanks!

My kids have been in a restaurant before and are mature enough to not get "figity", and I may not chose to spend the $30 cover on them so it may not matter. Just wondered how strict they were at the door, and if they actually checked or not.

I don't think you should have any trouble at all. My son ate at Chops or Portofino frequently when he was that age without issue. I think if the kids looked significantly younger you might be asked their ages but it has been my experience that as long as they appear close to the specified age and are well-behaved they won't have any issue.

Enjoy! I think it's worth the cover!

I have no problems spending $30 on a child that no longer eats off of a kids menu. Young adults are expensive to take out to dinner and I think most parents know and accept that cost. We took him to Smith & Wolensky for his 15th birthday and that was far more than $30, that covers about half a steak there. :) I would have taken him at 12 had the opportunity been there at the time.

Friends of ours took their grandchildren on the Mariner. One child was 12.

They called to book Portofino and were told that the 12 year old had to dine before 7pm.

They know from the manifest how old each pax is just in case pax who aren't interested in the rules try to book kids under 13 after 7pm

I've never been asked age when making my reservation for Chops. They only ask room numbers of the guests that are attending.

As another posted stated, there is not childrens discount, so is the $30 per person fee really worth it for smaller children. Also, I get antsy sitting there for hours, I couln't imagine how bored your kids would get.

For a nice dinner like that, just make it a date night for adults.

As for sitting for hours, Chops has never taken more than an hour for me Freedom, Navigator, and Allure.

I really don't understand why so many people think that a 12 year old would not enjoy a steak dinner. Honestly, my kids were eating off adult menues at 6, because most kid's menues have low end, poor quality food, that is cheap. They should also be taught how to behanve in a more "fancy" setting, and tought proper table manners at a young age.

As far as the time is concerned. Online booking for dinner will prevent you from booking because of the age. I don't know if you can do it in person, but they do know the ages. You would also risk the posibility of not being able to book on the day you want, so I would pre-book prior to sailing when reservations open, and just pick a time like 6:30. Your kids will enjoy as much as you will.

I did not have any issues when I took my 9 and 12 year old daughters. Enjoy.

Same with us. Our kids love the specialty restaurants and eat in them every time we cruise.

To the OP: Please ignore those on this board who take joy in suggesting that you take your children and shove them in a back closet so that "they" can enjoy their vacation apart from your children. They're silly and very much in the minority on ships. You "may" run into a very few elderly people who are crotchety with them simply because they've convinced themselves it's their "right" for reaching elderly status, but after a good level eye contact, they shut up and go away, as well. Actually, this has only happened to us once in many cruises.

Your children are welcomed into the restaurants by the company who owns the restaurant. Go and enjoy! They are one of the highlights of our cruises and our kids don't "fidget" nor have any inappropriate outbursts...unless you call laughing and having fun with their family members inappropriate. ...grin... Our children are 8, 12, 13 and 17.

thanks!

FWIW, you cannot book someone under 13 before 7pm online, but you can book others, and then go to the restaurant manager once onboard, and request to add the 12-1/2 year old. I had no problem making arrangements for a 12yo, the youngest of a family cruise last year. I find that they are often accommodating for these kinds of edge conditions.

My 4 stepchildren were eating in "fine" restaurants when they spanned 7 to 13. They all loved oysters on the half shell, good fish and steak. But that was a long time ago and there was no fast food. Not all children are raised on kids' menus.

My 4 stepchildren were eating in "fine" restaurants when they spanned 7 to 13. They all loved oysters on the half shell, good fish and steak. But that was a long time ago and there was no fast food. Not all children are raised on kids' menus.

Exactly!! Love this... :D;)

My son ate with us at Chops and he was 9 Years old. It was before 7PM and we booked on board as soon as we boarded. Well worth the $30/pp as we all had a magnificent time.

I have absolutely no issue with well behaved children dining in the specialty restaurants IF their reservation is before 7. It's the blatant disregard of the rules because "I'm so very special and my kids are so very mature and forget what the rules say I prefer to eat later and that rule is dumb and can't possibly pertain to me because I'm special" that bothers me.

I have absolutely no issue with well behaved children dining in the specialty restaurants IF their reservation is before 7. It's the blatant disregard of the rules because "I'm so very special and my kids are so very mature and forget what the rules say I prefer to eat later and that rule is dumb and can't possibly pertain to me because I'm special" that bothers me.

ok, back the truck up....my kid will be 6 months away from the "required" age, according to the "rules". will it really make your dinner any more enjoyable if she eats before 7:00? if we were talking about a toddler or an infant, I would see your point. honestly, the kids will probably be much happier going to the buffet then the kids club, but I was just checking my options. We will probably not reserve on line anyways and take our chances onboard.

again, I wasn't really asking anyones opinion on the matter, but for facts.

Archived