Service dog for sleep apnea

luckybecky

CCI is bringing a petition to congress in hopes of passing a bill that will control the selling of vests/harnesses for the purposes of misleading the public. They also hope that there will be a central database and registry that will require a license that every handler will have to have to bring their SD into the public.

Right now if the dog being brought into the public acts appropriately there's not much the public can do. The moment the dog growls/barks/nips or otherwise disrupts in any way, store owners/management has the right to ask that the person and dog leave the premises.

If your vacation is being disrupted by a "stressed-out or untrained dog", go to management, explain your case and they should be able to remove the person and their dog. However, you will need witnesses and proof. Take a picture!

I was onboard a cruise ship when a woman and her dog were put off the ship in San Diego, [to find their own way home] because the dog nipped at another woman's foot, in an elevator, and drew blood. There were enough witnesses, bloody paper towels, and visits to the ships doctor. The ship was definitely in the right.

To go and complain that the dog is causing your allergies to flare-up is not a good case. You will be told, "too bad" and, you will have to suffer through it!!!! The federal law states that the person in need of the services of her/his dog trumps your allergies!

This is great news. The abuse these days has gotten out of control. I was in the grocery store the other day and a woman had her 40 pound Schnauzer in a cart. Gross. I put my food in that cart. If the dog was indeed a SERVICE DOG, it should have been able to walk alongside her. If it wasn't a SERVICE DOG, it had no right to be in the market. I should have complained to management.

PS--It wasn't wearing a vest.

This is great news. The abuse these days has gotten out of control. I was in the grocery store the other day and a woman had her 40 pound Schnauzer in a cart. Gross. I put my food in that cart. If the dog was indeed a SERVICE DOG, it should have been able to walk alongside her. If it wasn't a SERVICE DOG, it had no right to be in the market. I should have complained to management.

I took my Guide Dog for the Blind Puppy in Training into a local supermarket today and there is NO way she would be in the cart - ever! They are trained to walk slightly ahead of their person - so are alongside the cart - they wear their coat, ID, Hi-Vis Flash on their lead that states they are a Guide dog (in this case Guide Dog puppy). And I have my ID badge as well.

At just about to be one year old, she walked along, ignored all the food* displays and never utters a sound. When I browse the shelves, she stands and waits until I give her another command to go forward. I do this even when I'm not buying anything for training purposes. I give her lots of encouragement (verbal and non-verbal such as a tiny tickle on the top of her head or back) and get some very funny looks as it does sometimes look as if I'm speaking to myself, especially if the shopper is engrossed in what they are buying and I'm walking past saying "good girl, good girl"! LOL!

* these pups/dogs are never, ever, given any human food, so don't associate it as anything they should have, which makes taking them into supermarkets, hotels, restaurants etc. easy.

Fairbourne is a genius at what she does as a "PuppyWalker", better known as a PuppyRaiser here in the States.

Let's clear-up a view misconceptions on the "public's" behalf.

First: A Service Dog comes in ALL shapes and sizes and does a myriad of tasks for its handler, some: see, hear, do seizure alert, blood pressure alert and some are used for PTSD, stress alert and on and on.

Second: Service Dogs [in the U.S.A. do NOT have to wear any identifying vests or collars.] It's better for the public if they do but it is NOT required by the ADA or DOJ.

Third: Some Service Dogs need to be very close to their handler to be able to lick their face, hands or arms to alert them to an oncoming seizure or blood pressure that is spiraling out of control. Their dogs are watching, listening and looking for a change in their body chemistry or eye movement, etc.

It's a very finely tuned machine; the connection between the dog and the handler. The "alert" can be so fine-tuned that the public would not even notice it!

A small Service Dog risks being stepped on or run over by a cart because it's not easily seen nor is it expected in a public place! [believe me, it took me a long time to adjust to seeing these dogs in public, sitting in a cart.] The handler should have some sort of mat or cloth that they can place in the cart and between the cart and the dog. It would be the polite thing to do, but again, is not required.

Seriously, the germs that most kids leave when they sit in the cart can be worse than any Service dog who will NOT pass any contagious germs to you! Service Dogs are kept immaculately clean [at least, they should be!!!] If you see one that is not - LET THE HANDLER KNOW!!!! Sometimes, the Seeing Eye Dog Handler doesn't know that his dog has a big piece of bubble gum on the top of his head, that he collected whilest sitting under a table, at a restaurant!!! [by-the-way, it's not a dog that does this disgusting behavior, it's a human who throws their trash wherever they happen to be!]

If the dog is sniffing at everyone, licking the floor or shelves of the market; it's NOT acting appropriately. If the dog is growling, nipping or barking at the public; it's NOT acting appropriately.

If I see a dog in a shopping cart inside the market, I observe it's behavior and if I see any signs of the above, I "call-out" the person, I let them know that a well-trained and working Service Dog will NEVER act in this manner and they'd better leave! I also let them know that I will speak with the manager and let them know of my displeasure!

I can't imagine going through my life without my Service Dog. He's tons and tons of work, management and re-training [to keep his skills sharp] but he completes my life, he keeps me going and feeling safe......he's my exclamation mark!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Sorry, should have also said of course that I was talking about a big dog and understand totally that a small dog would be unsafe walking beside a cart for all the reasons Roz said and that I was only referring to what we do in training a guide dog for the blind - all larger breeds such as labs, German Shepards.

Roz - you naughty girl, I'm no genius, just a girl who loves dogs and is loving every minute of Aruba's puppy training. ;):D

That's interesting, I didn't know the difference between wearing vests in the UK and the USA. As far as I know, all service dogs wear vests out in public in the UK - a guide dog of course wears a harness - and I've seen different colours of vests e.g. Hearing dogs.

Fairbourne is a genius at what she does as a "PuppyWalker", better known as a PuppyRaiser here in the States.

Let's clear-up a view misconceptions on the "public's" behalf.

First: A Service Dog comes in ALL shapes and sizes and does a myriad of tasks for its handler, some: see, hear, do seizure alert, blood pressure alert and some are used for PTSD, stress alert and on and on.

Second: Service Dogs [in the U.S.A. do NOT have to wear any identifying vests or collars.] It's better for the public if they do but it is NOT required by the ADA or DOJ.

Third: Some Service Dogs need to be very close to their handler to be able to lick their face, hands or arms to alert them to an oncoming seizure or blood pressure that is spiraling out of control. Their dogs are watching, listening and looking for a change in their body chemistry or eye movement, etc.

It's a very finely tuned machine; the connection between the dog and the handler. The "alert" can be so fine-tuned that the public would not even notice it!

I am well aware of all of this. Let me explain again. The 40 pound dog (not a little thing) was in the main basket. Not the child seat. It would not be able to reach the owner.

I know they don't need to have a vest or collar, although my experience is that most legitimate service dogs do.

A small Service Dog risks being stepped on or run over by a cart because it's not easily seen nor is it expected in a public place! [believe me, it took me a long time to adjust to seeing these dogs in public, sitting in a cart.] The handler should have some sort of mat or cloth that they can place in the cart and between the cart and the dog. It would be the polite thing to do, but again, is not required.

A 40 pound dog is not a small dog.

Seriously, the germs that most kids leave when they sit in the cart can be worse than any Service dog who will NOT pass any contagious germs to you! Service Dogs are kept immaculately clean [at least, they should be!!!] If you see one that is not - LET THE HANDLER KNOW!!!! Sometimes, the Seeing Eye Dog Handler doesn't know that his dog has a big piece of bubble gum on the top of his head, that he collected whilest sitting under a table, at a restaurant!!! [by-the-way, it's not a dog that does this disgusting behavior, it's a human who throws their trash wherever they happen to be!]

You seem to be missing my point. I highly doubt--in fact I'd put money on it--that was not a service dog under the ADA. Therapy animal (rolling eyes) maybe. But NOT a service dog. I agree that chewing gum is disgusting.

If the dog is sniffing at everyone, licking the floor or shelves of the market; it's NOT acting appropriately. If the dog is growling, nipping or barking at the public; it's NOT acting appropriately.

If I see a dog in a shopping cart inside the market, I observe it's behavior and if I see any signs of the above, I "call-out" the person, I let them know that a well-trained and working Service Dog will NEVER act in this manner and they'd better leave! I also let them know that I will speak with the manager and let them know of my displeasure!

I can't imagine going through my life without my Service Dog. He's tons and tons of work, management and re-training [to keep his skills sharp] but he completes my life, he keeps me going and feeling safe......he's my exclamation mark!!!!

However your dog is a legitimate service dog. This dog was standing with it's front paws on the top of the basket looking forward, not at the owner. It was not in any way acting like I've seen so many service dogs act.

I am well aware of all of this. Let me explain again. The 40 pound dog (not a little thing) was in the main basket. Not the child seat. It would not be able to reach the owner.

I know they don't need to have a vest or collar, although my experience is that most legitimate service dogs do.

A 40 pound dog is not a small dog.

You seem to be missing my point. I highly doubt--in fact I'd put money on it--that was not a service dog under the ADA. Therapy animal (rolling eyes) maybe. But NOT a service dog. I agree that chewing gum is disgusting.

However your dog is a legitimate service dog. This dog was standing with it's front paws on the top of the basket looking forward, not at the owner. It was not in any way acting like I've seen so many service dogs act.

If this dog was a "pet" this person is ruining it for people like me. She/he is acting as if the "need" for a Service Dog is routine and should be treated with disrespect and lightly. I take great offense to this kind of behavior.

I treat my dog with the highest respect and expect that the public do the same! When people allow their pets to go into the public venue and act "silly" and with complete disregard for others they diminish me and my dogs hard work.

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess she is like my neighbor's sister. She ought the whole service dog kit on the internet. She bragged about the cost savings of flying with her little dog, getting to take him everywhere. Time to crack down on this. I doubt she had the dog trained as a service dog-carrying it around and feeding desserts make that clear.

Another one I spoke to on disability website had anxiety so simply bought a huge Eastern European guard dog. After biting a child and then the second episode of killing a smaller dog in the park, she stopped bringing him all over Manhattan.

My last dog may be a mobility service dog, as my spine worsens. I dread these people so taking advantage that the ADA protections are ended.

I too have never heard of service dogs for sleep apnea and it seems to me a service dog would be a lot more expensive than a CPAP. My husband has sever diabetes and I looked into a service dog that detects sugar highs and lowes and they are VERY expensive. BUT I did a search and low and behold I found this Service dog training facility/provider who lists sleep apnea as one of the disabilities their dogs can help control.

http://www.pawsibilitiesunleashed.org/other-service-dogs

I still think this is a racket so that people can sail with their beloved pets. Shame on them for abusing the system.

Edited by nieciez

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked into this further and it would appear YES indeed they are used for sleep apnea.

http://www.pawsibilitiesunleashed.org/other-service-dogs

As much as it seems far fetched we do not have all the details and or medical information that could support the need for a sleep apnea service dog. We have no right to judge and or make assumptions .

• 4 months later...
We were on the Imagination with a lady who had a service dog that she brought to the buffet and picked him up so he could see the deserts and then stuck her finger in the icing for him to taste. I went to the Purser's desk to complain about this behavior and was told it was a service dog, so I guess if she wants to bring him to the MDR she just may be allowed.

That is BAD SERVICE DOG ETIQUETTE!!!

However, a service dog can alert to sleep apnea, usually by licking or pawing at their handler. Before one can call it a service dog with the concomitant public access, the person would have to jump through a bunch of hoops. Otherwise, just use the dog at home and leave it there.

Edited by SFskies
forgot something

I have sleep apnea. I've never considered a service dog for this condition but I can think of a few cases where it could be helpful. At one point I wore a full face mask meaning my nose and my mouth were covered. Then the power went out. I wasn't getting any air in the mask and the vent holes really weren't big enough for me to get enough regular air in. I eventually woke up feeling suffocated. People with sleep apnea don't wake on their own normally when they stop breathing. Here, I did because it wasn't so much I stopped breathing, there wasn't enough air. If a dog alerted me to the power outage or my machine otherwise not working that would prevent this issue. Also, sometimes I accidentally fall asleep without my mask or it gets pulled off in my sleep. A dog alerting to that would be useful. I agree that a dog could not replace a cpap.

Lastly, some people with sleep apnea (particularly those just diagnosed) will fall asleep at embarrassing times similar to someone with narcolepsy. The dog could alert to that as well.

started three years ago maybe...but up to date!

True, but the post I was replying to was three years old so I doubt that the person I was replying to would see my answer. I have not seen them back in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI - There are some dog training organizations that do NOT require that you pay anything. Once you've passed their extensive interview and they accept you into their program, they will train a dog for your specific needs. There is NO CHARGE for the training or the dog [who is worth in excess of $25,000 by the time you take it home from training.] They depend on private donations and now some allocated funds from the Federal Gov.

You will live on their grounds for a two week period, be given extensive "hands-on" training with the dog and have to pass some written tests, as well.

Canine Companions for Independence [based in Santa Rosa Ca.] trains: Hearing Dogs/Service (assist adults with physical disabilities by performing daily tasks]/Facility [work with a professional in a visitation, education or healthcare setting]/Skilled Companions [enhance independence for children and adults with physical, cognitive and developmental disabilities.] They also are working with our Vets and the Wounded Warrior Program.

They have their own breeding program and use Labs & Lab/Golden Retriever mixes.

Canine Assistants [based in Alpharetta, Georgia] trains all different breeds of dogs. And, I believe do not charge for their dogs either.

Holding an assistance dog in your arms is not a bad thing. However, the handler should be aware of the environment they're in and not allow the dog to sniff/scratch or eat in the food area. This does NOT serve any purpose for the handler and I would definitely call them OUT on their bad behavior in public!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding "emotional support dogs"......what dog ISN'T an emotional support dog? You get home from work, the boss has chewed your tail end off for something today, the car isn't sounding good, the traffic was bad, and you didn't get to the dry cleaners in time to pick up your other suit.....you're in a bad mood. Your dog greets you at the door with love and adoration; you're a GOD!!! Your emotions have just been "supported", nay, elated. Does that mean we all get to take our dogs on a cruise? Woo-hoo!!! I can't wait to take Bowser on the dolphin cruise!

regarding "emotional support dogs"......what dog isn't an emotional support dog? You get home from work, the boss has chewed your tail end off for something today, the car isn't sounding good, the traffic was bad, and you didn't get to the dry cleaners in time to pick up your other suit.....you're in a bad mood. Your dog greets you at the door with love and adoration; you're a god!!! Your emotions have just been "supported", nay, elated. Does that mean we all get to take our dogs on a cruise? Woo-hoo!!! I can't wait to take bowser on the dolphin cruise!

Regarding "emotional support dogs"......what dog ISN'T an emotional support dog? You get home from work, the boss has chewed your tail end off for something today, the car isn't sounding good, the traffic was bad, and you didn't get to the dry cleaners in time to pick up your other suit.....you're in a bad mood. Your dog greets you at the door with love and adoration; you're a GOD!!! Your emotions have just been "supported", nay, elated. Does that mean we all get to take our dogs on a cruise? Woo-hoo!!! I can't wait to take Bowser on the dolphin cruise!

No.

Write me privately for an explanation.

• 3 months later...

You know, it's comments like all the ones I have read hear that make me so hesitant to take my SD with me on my cruises. There are SO many misconceptions here and so many people blowing over the people who actually understand how the ADA works in regards to service animals.

As a person with PTSD (an invisible disability) and a SD trainer, I spend a great deal of my time having to put up with the attitudes I see here that I don't want to deal with it on vacation, too.

So, because of both the people passing off their pets and the people doubting every single non-guide harnessed lab that they see, I will once again go through a cruise without my SD and not be able to fully enjoy it.

Thanks.

You know, it's comments like all the ones I have read hear that make me so hesitant to take my SD with me on my cruises. There are SO many misconceptions here and so many people blowing over the people who actually understand how the ADA works in regards to service animals.

As a person with PTSD (an invisible disability) and a SD trainer, I spend a great deal of my time having to put up with the attitudes I see here that I don't want to deal with it on vacation, too.

So, because of both the people passing off their pets and the people doubting every single non-guide harnessed lab that they see, I will once again go through a cruise without my SD and not be able to fully enjoy it.

Thanks.

It is your choice to leave your service dog at home and no on else's. If it is a choice between not fully enjoying your cruise because ignorant people make ignoran remarks vs leaving your trusted trained companion home ONLY you can decide which decision is better for the two of you.

A service dog can often be recognized by its behavior and demeanor, as they are working dogs, not pets. And I don't mean breed class when I say working dog, as they come in all sizes. I agree those passing off emotional support animals as service dogs has really made it tough for the rest of you.

I am also amazed at the time, effort and money it takes to try to get these dogs okayed to visit many of the ports. It is not simple and takes a lot of pre-planning.

Thanks.

Do you take your dog to stores and restaurants routinely at home? A rare negative comment wouldn't put an end to enjoying your life's routines. Shipboard life is no different.

I also have an invisible disability. Keep in mind that those who post negative comments anonymously on these forums are a small percentage of the people and behaviors you will actually encounter on board. Most cruisers are pleasant and mind their own business. Many love dogs and at most might just kindly ask about your dog's service or want to pet him.