First Alaska cruise Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm Fjord?

cruisingallover

I would say Glacier Bay...

And yes there are ship that does both. I believe HAL has ships that goes Glacier Bay + Tracy Arm.

Though, if you really want to see Glaciers and calving, I say do a Princess or Norwegian one way cruise that goes Glacier Bay + Hubbard Glacier.

Would like to hear feedback on those who have done both for comparison before we book our cruise on a Princess ship?

I am assuming no ship does both?

2 HAL ships do both - if you really want to do both.

Also done both and would perfer Glacier Bay, however sometimes the prices are bit steeper for glacier bay and all said and done the group I am going with in Aug chose the Tracy Arm one which I am good with as well. I find the area fascinating no matter which I see. Good Luck!:D

To some extent, it depends on whether this is your first and possibly ONLY trip to Alaska, or if it is more likely to be the first of many. If this may be your only trip, then definitely just do Glacier Bay. However, if you do Glacier Bay on your first trip and then decide to try Tracy Arm on your next trip, you might be disappointed. If you plan to do both eventually, do Tracy Arm first then work your way up to Glacier Bay. Both are beautiful in their own way. Tracy Arm is gorgeous scenery. Glacier Bay is awesome glaciers, and most people agree that it is the better experience overall. I've done both, and prefer Glacier Bay, but since we've been going every year, and hope to go again this year, I won't be terribly disappointed if schedules or finances force us to do Tracy Arm again someday.

I don't know about "disappointment" per se when seeing Tracy Arm after seeing Glacier Bay... there's some beauty in seeing your ship navigating a narrow fjord. It is simply that for Tracy Arm, you should expect NOT to see a glacier, and just enjoy the wild life and general scenery (unless you are taking a small boat tour of Tracy Arm, which will give you a much better chance at seeing Sawyer Glacier). It is all a question of perspective and expectations. For Tracy Arm, just don't have that high of one, and you be happy :)

As others said, Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm is nice but can't compare. I'm sure if every cruise could do Glacier Bay they would, but since the park has limitations ships find alternatives.

As mentioned Holland America does both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay on their round trips out of Vancouver. Fabulous itinerary!!!! Just don't take this itinerary in early May as the ships don't typically get into the fjord that early. The first cruisers reporting back are saying they did not get into Tracy Arm. Also, if interested, I suggest going with the Volendam. Too many are saying that the Zuiderdam is having a/c and plumbing problems.

The one-way options with Princess and NCL that go to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier are also great choices. I have been to Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm and Hubbard. I liked Glacier Bay best, followed by Tracy Arm and then Hubbard. However, there are many on this forum who prefer Hubbard. Like Tracy Arm, Hubbard can be subject to icing that prevents getting close, or fog which blocks the view. For a first cruise to Alaska, and for an only cruise to Alaska, when glaciers are a priority, definitely include Glacier Bay. If you can afford a cruise that goes to two glacier or scenic areas, do it!!!!

I booked an Alaska cruise leaving Seattle in June, 2012 as a surprise for my husband's 55th birthday. I was originally on Royal Caribbean, but the travel agent told me he thought Princess was better than Royal, so he changed us to Princess. We're all set now, but after reading reviews on the ship's review page, I can't help but wonder if I made the right choice by letting my travel agent change...... Can anyone help me out and give me a little peace of mind? I started booking this trip 6 months ago and so want it to be perfect for my husband..... The trip just happens to be 3 weeks after our 3rd Anniversary, so there's plenty of reason to want it perfect for him..... Any words of advice are greatly appreciated.

I booked an Alaska cruise leaving Seattle in June, 2012 as a surprise for my husband's 55th birthday. I was originally on Royal Caribbean, but the travel agent told me he thought Princess was better than Royal, so he changed us to Princess. We're all set now, but after reading reviews on the ship's review page, I can't help but wonder if I made the right choice by letting my travel agent change...... Can anyone help me out and give me a little peace of mind? I started booking this trip 6 months ago and so want it to be perfect for my husband..... The trip just happens to be 3 weeks after our 3rd Anniversary, so there's plenty of reason to want it perfect for him..... Any words of advice are greatly appreciated.

I love Princess but not dont know about all ships, but if you could post what ship your on that would help you get more accurate responses. :D

are you worried about the itinerary? or the ship?

Please post what you are expecting out of the cruise ship, what are your priorities to see in Alaska, what ship you are booked on and the itinerary of your particular cruise (ports and glaciers).

I have only seen one cruise I would consider a total waste. It was early in the season and it did not include any glacier viewing days. I head to Alaska for scenery. Some cruises definitely have better scenic sailings than others, but just going to Alaska is a great adventure.

3rd anniversary - everything else is moot!;)

If you don't know that on ____ line you would get _____ then you can't very well miss it now can you. Similarly if you don't know all that _____ has to offer than you will probably be satisfied with _____.

Thank you for your reply. We are on the Golden, leaving Seattle on 6/30. The itinerary is the Inside passage with Tracy Arm Fjord. 1st stop is Juneau, then Skagway, Ketchikan, ending with Vistoria. I think the reason for my original concern is reading the message board for the Golden yesterday regarding last summer's Alaska cruises. Most were negative...... I have booked the fishing charters I found in Junea and Ketchikan privately, so I'm not worried about that part, I think the main concern I had is from what past passengers wrote about the ship and crew. But then again........ It's all booked now so....... What will be, will be. Just want to have a great trip...... Most of that depends on us anyway. My husband and I love to be together and always have a good time. Thanks again for your reply. I have learned a lot from this site in just one day!!

We were on the Golden last summer (and the summer before!) and had a wonderful time! We are looking into booking her again this summer. I don't think you have anything to worry about with the Golden. It's a great ship!

Having sailed on both cruise lines rest assure you will not be disappointed with Princess!

Also, I was on the Golden for 2 weeks on a SA cruise and the ship and crew were great.

Happy sailing :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are elite members on Princess Cruises. We traveled on Royal Caribbean once, and the next time Princess. It has been Princess ever since! And we are now black card holders. My husband is 62 and I am 58, but we are a young 58 & 62. In my opinion, Royal Caribbean is better for teens, twentys, thirtys and half of the forty year old crowd. Princess has things for mid fortys and beyond. It is really a matter of preference, but everyone I spoke to on Princess was happier on Princess and disappointed when they tried the other lines after Princess. Stick with the Princess Cruise, you will not be disappointed!

Thank you for your reply. We are on the Golden, leaving Seattle on 6/30. The itinerary is the Inside passage with Tracy Arm Fjord. 1st stop is Juneau, then Skagway, Ketchikan, ending with Vistoria. I think the reason for my original concern is reading the message board for the Golden yesterday regarding last summer's Alaska cruises. Most were negative...... I have booked the fishing charters I found in Junea and Ketchikan privately, so I'm not worried about that part, I think the main concern I had is from what past passengers wrote about the ship and crew. But then again........ It's all booked now so....... What will be, will be. Just want to have a great trip...... Most of that depends on us anyway. My husband and I love to be together and always have a good time. Thanks again for your reply. I have learned a lot from this site in just one day!!

I strongly suggest you consider and book a Tracy Arm add on ship tour. It is GROSSLY superior to you cruiseship transit and "necessary" in my opinion to get way more out of this scenic sailing.

We are elite members on Princess Cruises. We traveled on Royal Caribbean once, and the next time Princess. It has been Princess ever since! And we are now black card holders. My husband is 62 and I am 58, but we are a young 58 & 62. In my opinion, Royal Caribbean is better for teens, twentys, thirtys and half of the forty year old crowd. Princess has things for mid fortys and beyond. It is really a matter of preference, but everyone I spoke to on Princess was happier on Princess and disappointed when they tried the other lines after Princess. Stick with the Princess Cruise, you will not be disappointed!

Having sailed both these lines repeatively, (elite and diamond) I think this is very simplistic thinking and not true. You have sailed RCI- once? And "everybody" was happier on Princess?

Please let me know how you like the Alaska cruise on Princess. We have not done that one yet, and I am really looking forward to getting it on our agenda. We are on the east coast, so it is a long trip to get there, and I was wondering if we should take the cruise tour inland while we are there. Everyone I spoke to who has been to Alaska said it is wonderful. I have never heard a negative thing about it.

Princess. I was wondering if we should take the cruise tour inland while we are there. Everyone I spoke to who has been to Alaska said it is wonderful. I have never heard a negative thing about it.

Sorry, Princess has some very crappy cruisetours. It is REALLY necessary you do your homework and understand, fully what is involved in touring, time and distances, inclusions. Most people do not. Princess has way too many cruisetours, with the worthless Natural History tour- there are countless posters who come to this board- who clearly do not realize, they are NOT getting into the park with this tour. princess has you maybe 10 hours on a train, the NHT, then more hours on a bus or train to Talkeetna or Faribanks?? I would NOT call this a positive feature. Many simply don't know any difference, then will report, that Denali Park, wasn't so "good" and don't know why people report it is?? (I've heard this many time in Talkeetna) ALL those hours, all that time, money, hopes etc, and to miss it?

With you being on this board, I would think, you may want to consider finding out everything about cruisetours, so when you look at the tours, you know what you are looking at. This is essential for choosing and booking the best, for your vacation.

Archived