Barcelona PICKPOCKET alert May 2012

Just returned home from a stopover in Barcelona after my transatlantic cruise.

Be aware that in the narrow streets near the Picasso museum (and probably elsewhere on some days) there is now a pair of well-dressed matronly women who are pickpockets. The first will approach you with arms outstretched, babbling nonsense to confuse and stop you. The second will then bump you from behind, walking away with whatever she can get. The first disappears by the time you turn around.

Any time you are stopped or spoken to by a stranger, assume it is a pickpocket set-up. Keep a small luggage lock on your day pack or handbag, and keep any valuables under your clothes. Keep your roller bag in front of you at all stops and on all escalators/elevators.

Enjoy Barcelona (especially the free Goya and Delacroix blockbusters at the Caixa forum, and the wonderful but underappreciated Catalan art museum on Montjuic) and don't let the Barcelona pickpockets get anything from you.

Here we go again......:eek: PP's are all over...Spain is a great country for them as well as other's.If one is not alert,locked and pockets secured you are setting yourself up.Just a fact of life.

One does not need a lock to avoid pickpockets. I think it's overkill (and you're setting yourself up for worry and anxiety by even needing to consider it ;) ) Seriously, a bag worn securely (like a messenger bag), awareness of your surroundings, and not carrying anything in your pockets unless they're zipped is usually enough.

On the other hand, it's your vacation, so do whatever make you more comfortable. I don't lock my bag, I don't use a money belt, and I didn't at all feel worried when I was in Barcelona for a week last fall.

By the way, I agree about the Catalan art museum at Monjuic (the MNAC) - it was barely mentioned in the guide books I read, but it was great (better than the Picasso museum, IMO).

One does not need a lock to avoid pickpockets. I think it's overkill (and you're setting yourself up for worry and anxiety by even needing to consider it ;) ) Seriously, a bag worn securely (like a messenger bag), awareness of your surroundings, and not carrying anything in your pockets unless they're zipped is usually enough.

On the other hand, it's your vacation, so do whatever make you more comfortable. I don't lock my bag, I don't use a money belt, and I didn't at all feel worried when I was in Barcelona for a week last fall.

By the way, I agree about the Catalan art museum at Monjuic (the MNAC) - it was barely mentioned in the guide books I read, but it was great (better than the Picasso museum, IMO).

Just for the record...I did not mean "locked" in the true sense...that would be overkill...I meant to have secure pocketbooks,pants pockets if using,and backpacks/fannypacks secure.I have seen a lot of people with their PB's open,mens wallets in back pockets etc.and then they wonder why they got picked.:rolleyes:

Be aware that in the narrow streets near the Picasso museum (and probably elsewhere on some days) there is now a pair of well-dressed matronly women who are pickpockets. The first will approach you with arms outstretched, babbling nonsense to confuse and stop you. The second will then bump you from behind, walking away with whatever she can get. The first disappears by the time you turn around.

Any time you are stopped or spoken to by a stranger, assume it is a pickpocket set-up. Keep a small luggage lock on your day pack or handbag, and keep any valuables under your clothes. Keep your roller bag in front of you at all stops and on all escalators/elevators.

Enjoy Barcelona (especially the free Goya and Delacroix blockbusters at the Caixa forum, and the wonderful but underappreciated Catalan art museum on Montjuic) and don't let the Barcelona pickpockets get anything from you.

regardless of what everyone says, thanks for posting the alert!!

Ditto! It never hurts to remind people about these types of issues. You're not saying Barcelona is inherently unsafe or anything, just sharing your experience. Thank you for doing so!

We made sure we had nothing in our pockets, but used a money pouch that hangs around your neck. We felt more secure this way and it worked out well. It wasn't that inconspicuous (you could tell I was wearing one), but it would take a lot more effort to steal from that than another tourist's pocket.

What is sad is that this is always on going in BCN...an alert could be posted every day.Europe is great for PP"s...they are very good at what they do...trained for the cradle.It is always best to be alert...never ever put anything down you do not want to lose,and keep close eye on people around you in a crowd. Just some FYI.

Here in the UK, we've found that crime including pickpocketing has sadly been on the increase with the influx of Eastern European nationals into the more affluent European Union countries. I'm sure that there are many Eastern Europeans who are fine but, as always, the minority will spoil it for everyone. That's life I guess, so best to be very aware in any big cities where tourists and residents alike are the targets of these lowlife sorts.

Thanks very much for the tip! I have been reading about Barcelona for several months now as we prepare for our Med cruise, and it seems that everywhere I turn, I read about pick pockets. I'm not overly paranoid, but I think that the more awareness we have about potential scams, the better we will be equipped to avoid them. Your tips are good ones, anyone would be wise to follow the advice to watch out for strangers, keeping valuables in a hidden wallet, etc. Thanks for the reminder! :)

The reality is that Barcelona does have a lot of pickpockets. It is not the only city with this problem but one of the worst that we have seen. We love this city so just take extra precautions and that includes leave all your jewelry in your safe either in the hotel or on the ship. Same goes for the passport. Take only limited money and one bank card. Keep in a safe type of wallet. Minimize what you carry with you and just keep close to you.

And most importantly be street smart. Be observant of all that is around you.

It is a beautiful city and I highly recommend it. But just be alert and street smart.

Keith

I think in the UK there are also plenty of Brits who pick pockets and commit petty crime and it is not fair, albeit very tempting, to throw all the blame at the foreigners.

Oliver Twist and Fagan weren´t exactly from Romania ......

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

With all the things I read about pick pocketers, :eek: I hope we are safe and don't harmed. I read it a safe city :rolleyes:except for the pick pocketers.

I've been told that there's very little personal crime in Barcelona, only property crime (theft, pickpockets).

Here we go again......:eek: PP's are all over...Spain is a great country for them as well as other's.If one is not alert,locked and pockets secured you are setting yourself up.Just a fact of life.

Totally agree with you Karen, PP's are all over, just be careful

Boy that really makes me feel good.:rolleyes:

Given the icon, I"m guessing you're facetious, but I do look at it as a good thing.....I worry far less about being pickpocketed than being mugged, for instance. It's only stuff. And as a solo female traveler I want to feel like I can freely enjoy the city at night without worrying about being groped or assaulted either.

Given the icon, I"m guessing you're facetious, but I do look at it as a good thing.....I worry far less about being pickpocketed than being mugged, for instance. It's only stuff. And as a solo female traveler I want to feel like I can freely enjoy the city at night without worrying about being groped or assaulted either.

Of course not, just kidding. I feel the same as you do. I too want to feel safe in a city.

Thank you OP for your post. Even if there are many threads on the topic, they get buried and folks new to CC never see them and will certainly appreciate your "heads up". There are never enough warnings when it comes to safety, both to us personally or to our belongings when travelling to new venues in the world. THANK YOU!!

We just got back from BCN 2 weeks ago, and saw the standard scams: the 3 card monty guys on Las Ramblas, the old women or kids trying to distract you, and the pickpockets on the trains. I always carry a PacSafe purse or backpack and DH never carries a wallet, so we have never been bothered all over Europe.

Just be sensible: don't carry your wallet in your back pocket. Don't carry your passport. Don't put valuables in a cloth backpack and wear it on your back in a crowd. Don't flash expensive jewelry. Don't engage with groups of people coming up to you, trying to distract you with signs or petitions or goods to sell. Don't let someone try to tie a string bracelet onto you and then demand payment. Don't let someone convince you to go with them to a bar (where the bouncer will then demand payment to let you out, or charge you an arm and a leg for a drink). And do NOT NOT NOT let someone try to "help" you get correct change out of your wallet (they are really good at sleight of hand removing a 50 Euro bill without you realizing it).

Bottom line: be practical and don't look like a mark and you won't BE a mark. I've been all over Europe, ridden crowded subways and buses, and never had anything happen (knock wood) even when approached.

I have a co-worker who was born and raised in England. He has traveled extensively throughout Europe. We were talking about pick pockets. Interestingly, he mentioned Barcelona as one of the worst places for this and said walking down Las Ramblas is one of the worst areas for this.

I know crime occurs everywhere. I live in Southern California where crime abounds. I try and be safe whereever I go but I do think that the OP was right in posting his/her thoughts.

This thread is an excellent reminder to everyone traveling to Barcelona. Barcelona absolutely is a pickpocketing mecca and tourists need to be aware of it. Folks should NEVER minimize this info by saying crime happens everywhere. This is a specific problem that targets tourists, and that can cause a lot of heartache to those who lose their money, IDs, and credit cards.

I just returned from Barcelona and not only did I see it happen, more than once, I also found the police did little to stop it. I saw a pickpocket occur and when I pointed it out to a nearby police officer, his only question to me was "did you get pickpocketed?" When I said no, he lost interest and did nothing, even though the perp was still within eyesight.

Here is a pic of a common scam by a group. These folks were all involved. When others joined in to play, these players broke off. The guy on the right in the blue shirt was the guy I watched pickpocket another person.

2052437070080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

They did NOT like having their picture taken:

2928179610080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

I agree that no one should say that "it happens everywhere". It does not! Barcelona (Las Ramblas in particular), Rome and Rio seem to hold the top three positions in the area of pickpocketing. What is the worst that can happen if you listen to all of the alarmists on this thread? You won't be pickpocketed....... not a bad thing:D

Archived