Hats for Mediterranean

zaban3

I have no idea what is being worn but I am taking a floppy hat made out of paper of all things, It is hand washable and can be folded/rolled without damage, so it should be easy to pack. It is black and khaki brown in color.

I actually don't remember seeing many hats being worn anywhere in Europe during the summer. I agree; wear what you like. No one cares. I would avoid baseball hats, however.

Mine will be for protection from the sun-which is why it is a big floppy hat.

I am not usually a hat person but I did wear one on my recent

cruise. It was quite warm and sunny:)...this is hat I wore...now

the picture says "Big and Floppy" but truthfully, it is neither....it

is soft and is closer to the head and I liked it. I probably tried on

a dozen hats:rolleyes:.....they are not my thing but I thought cruising

in Europe would be one place to wear it while on tours. I got

it at Target. It is cotton.

13906875.jpg

I wore a big floppy hat and a straw fedora on our recent Med. trip. I was nervous about going to Europe with all the people who have said "dress like a local, don't look like an American, etc..." but, truly, nobody cared what I wore. Have a great trip!

I am not usually a hat person but I did wear one on my recent

cruise. It was quite warm and sunny:)...this is hat I wore...now

the picture says "Big and Floppy" but truthfully, it is neither....it

is soft and is closer to the head and I liked it. I probably tried on

a dozen hats:rolleyes:.....they are not my thing but I thought cruising

in Europe would be one place to wear it while on tours. I got

it at Target. It is cotton.

13906875.jpg

Lois, I have some cotton canvas hats but I wanted more protection/shade from my hat. I do like cotton canvas-just have not found any with a very wide brim. Straw makes me sweat like crazy so straw is out for me-I was very happy when I found that paper hat at Ross-and I tried it out-no excessive sweating and it does the job!

It is neat the way it is made, it has no center and it opens up; (back has velcro)it will roll up into a cone shape-so it should be easy to pack. The back also has a cute bow-so it is more attractive than my canvas hats-LOL! Although I do plan to pack one or two of them.

BTW I am not a "hat person" either but I am becoming one between my sensitivity to the sun and my hair thinning.

I wore a big floppy hat and a straw fedora on our recent Med. trip. I was nervous about going to Europe with all the people who have said "dress like a local, don't look like an American, etc..." but, truly, nobody cared what I wore. Have a great trip!

I had heard the same thing. I'm not a big hat person but lately I've been in live with fedoras and am dying to get one. I just don't know that I can pull off the look. Did you see many on your med cruise. I'll be there in late oct.

I had heard the same thing. I'm not a big hat person but lately I've been in live with fedoras and am dying to get one. I just don't know that I can pull off the look. Did you see many on your med cruise. I'll be there in late oct.

Hubby bought hiself a wool "Indiana Junes" Fedora and he is taking his! However, he always wear hats when outdoors-always have.

I saw a handful wearing fedoras, not lots, but I noticed most wore them with aviator sunglasses (I did, too). I did notice lots and lots of the this style

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058YTOKU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0035WTP24&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AD1CPC9CM29PWB3HYCH

Wear whatever you want- I was so nervous about dressing for Europe and it seemed all for nothing. As long as you respect the local customs of formality and are nice to people, say "please" and "thank you" in the local language (I also learned to say "I'm sorry" :o and used it a lot :)). Cover up more of your skin in Istanbul than you would in Mykonos, for instance. Have a great trip.

Appreciate the feedback :-) I'm so excited and there are still several months before sailing.

I embark in 2 weeks and 3 days! So I am going when it will be hot-so my hats are for practicality more than for looks-I hope I do not look too dumpy with hubby "styling" with his fedora.

I do have some female fedoras, but they are winter hats-so I won't be taking them-LOL! Hubby's is more an all season hat.

I am very fair, turn really red, can't take the heat and I love to travel. A hat is really important if you don't want to spend the winter having skin problems taken off -- brutal but better than skin cancer. Remember as you age your skin becomes thinner (so it seems -- it is the only thing that gets thinner:p) and your hair thins -- protection is just a must.

I have bought several items from http://www.coolibar.com and they have a large selection of hats for all ages men, women and children. They also have shirts, pants, coverups and jackets and all are rated at 50 SPF and they are very attractive. Try them for hats that you look good in and that protect you too.

I love my Tilly hat. It has a large brim and a net in the top that allows air to flow through. You do need a good chin strap or strings to tie the hat on. On the decks and when you are on the pier the wind can be very strong and hats sail. It was a sad day that my tilly hat took off on a strong wind and floated out to sea with hundreds pointing to the wayward hat. I did get realistic at the last minute and did not follow the hat into the water!:eek:

Tilly hats may not be high fashion but they have very loyal fans and I am on my 4th one (one floated, one left in hotel in Tahiti, one for the yard and the good one for travel). My husband's bucket hat {Adventure Hat} (yep looks like a small bucket) is going on 10 years old. (And why can't that thing blow away!:))

I am very fair, turn really red, can't take the heat and I love to travel. A hat is really important if you don't want to spend the winter having skin problems taken off -- brutal but better than skin cancer. Remember as you age your skin becomes thinner (so it seems -- it is the only thing that gets thinner:p) and your hair thins -- protection is just a must.

I have bought several items from http://www.coolibar.com and they have a large selection of hats for all ages men, women and children. They also have shirts, pants, coverups and jackets and all are rated at 50 SPF and they are very attractive. Try them for hats that you look good in and that protect you too.

I love my Tilly hat. It has a large brim and a net in the top that allows air to flow through. You do need a good chin strap or strings to tie the hat on. On the decks and when you are on the pier the wind can be very strong and hats sail. It was a sad day that my tilly hat took off on a strong wind and floated out to sea with hundreds pointing to the wayward hat. I did get realistic at the last minute and did not follow the hat into the water!:eek:

Tilly hats may not be high fashion but they have very loyal fans and I am on my 4th one (one floated, one left in hotel in Tahiti, one for the yard and the good one for travel). My husband's bucket hat {Adventure Hat} (yep looks like a small bucket) is going on 10 years old. (And why can't that thing blow away!:))

You just described me-Yep thin skin and thin hair. My skin gets rashes easily now and I also use tons of lotion. I haven't had any skin cancers yet- a miracle since I used to sun bathe religiously when I was younger. Fortunately for me I woke up about sun bathing when I noticed the beginning of crow's feet at age 31. I decided I would rather be pale and un wrinkled. I can still have sun damage on my upper chest area ( I guess age 31 was too late to prevent that)-so I realize skin cancer is still a possibility. I always wear lotion on my face and skin that has 30 proof for sun protection. A everyday norm.

BTW,We bought some great sunscreen for the trip-120 proof. We had no idea it was made even that strong!

My husband - who shaves his head because it's easier to apply sunscreen - loves his Tilley hat (I think he has the LTM6) He's used to wearing various (cheap) straw hats for working outdoors and was worried the Tilley would be too hot because there's not as much ventilation as a cheap straw hat. Nope - he says it feels even better. Can't explain the science there, but if you are worried about a Tilley being hot, I have been assured it's not.

Personally, on our trip to the Black Sea in September, I brought a sombrero style (wide brim) hat with UPF. Bought it at sierratradingpost.com but a few years ago - they have some cute hats now but not the one I got. Then I didn't wear it often - mine doesn't have the ventilation the Tilley does and I got too hot:rolleyes:

I have a woman's but man-styled "Panama" hat. I found it at Eddie Bauer a few years ago. It has a slightly wider brim than the fedoras I've seen lately. Not quite white, but not natural, with a wide black band. I LOVE it. And, I do wear it with my aviators :-) That's what I'll take on my "city" trips. If I'm doing the Great Outdoors thing, I have my Outdoor Research hat. If I'm beaching or pooling it, it's a baseball hat or my "lifeguard" hat (you know, the straw ones with the big brim). If I'm packing light, I'll use my OR hat for the Great Outdoors and the pool/beach. The Panama goes with me on the plane...

Lois, I have some cotton canvas hats but I wanted more protection/shade from my hat. I do like cotton canvas-just have not found any with a very wide brim. Straw makes me sweat like crazy so straw is out for me-I was very happy when I found that paper hat at Ross-and I tried it out-no excessive sweating and it does the job!

It is neat the way it is made, it has no center and it opens up; (back has velcro)it will roll up into a cone shape-so it should be easy to pack. The back also has a cute bow-so it is more attractive than my canvas hats-LOL! Although I do plan to pack one or two of them.

BTW I am not a "hat person" either but I am becoming one between my sensitivity to the sun and my hair thinning.

I've had good luck finding cotton canvas hats with wide brims in the garden dept. of Target, and Ace Hardware. Usually have good selection of colors and styles.

I've had good luck finding cotton canvas hats with wide brims in the garden dept. of Target, and Ace Hardware. Usually have good selection of colors and styles.

Happy, although the cotton canvas would be more durable, I am happy with my paper hat. It is attractive and it looks like straw and not paper. However, I am sure it will not last as long as my cotton canvas ones will.

I like a very wide brim, because I have little strength in my arms anymore and carrying an umbrella is very tiring for me. I am taking an umbrella too for when we do Pompeii. Hubby may have to hold it for me though if I get too tired.

Archived