Funny questions by passengers

Cruise staff

Hey all,

Thought I share the top ten "smart" questions passengers ask me while I work at the desk.

10) Where are we sailing to?

9) What time are we taking off?

8) How do I walk forward?

7) Is the toilet water salty?

6) Why are we rocking?

5) Do you go home each night?

4) How do we know which one is our photos?

3) Does the elevator takes us forward?

2) Is the moon we see the same moon back at home?

AND....the number 1 "smart" question

1) Does the stairs take me up or down?

:D

BINGO! Was just waiting for you to say it!

"1) Does the stairs take me up or down?

Although there may be a lot of people who turn off their brain when they go on vacation, I’d bet that most of these questions are simply taken out of context, or questions that may seem to have an obvious answer when rephrased as posted.

“Where are we sailing to?” is simply a query about what the next port on the itinerary is.

“What time are we taking off?”means what time are we sailing.

“How do I walk forward?” is a query by DiCaprio or Winslet wannabe who is looking to get onto the tip of the bow.

“Is the toilet water salty?” is a valid question. In many parts of the world the water that one uses to flush toilets is non-potable. It would make sense to use free sea water saving the expense of desalinating the seawater. As a matter of fact, I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

“How do we know which is our photo?” may be asked by a person in a groupshot.

And if you are looking for an infirmary/photoshop/bar/etc. and ask a crew member who directs you to take the next set of stairs to your destination, it would make sense to ask if you should go up or down. Hence the grammatically challenging “Does the stairs take me up or down?” would be a valid question.

I do agree with you and your valid explanations. Also, the one about the Moon is valid too, as the person is likely asking as to the "phase" of the Moon (full Moon, quarter Moon, half Moon, crescent Moon etc.). This will vary by location. Not every one will use the word "phase". They might just ask: What's the Moon tonight"?

However, the stairs going up or down one was always my favorite, and I beg for an explanation of that one, and you can be certain it has been asked!

Okay, I'll venture a guess: Maybe a new cruiser thinks that certain stairs are intended only for certain directions of travel. In essence, they are making it more complicated than it is!:D

I do agree with you and your valid explanations. Also, the one about the Moon is valid too, as the person is likely asking as to the "phase" of the Moon (full Moon, quarter Moon, half Moon, crescent Moon etc.). This will vary by location. Not every one will use the word "phase". They might just ask: What's the Moon tonight"?

However, the stairs going up or down one was always my favorite, and I beg for an explanation of that one, and you can be certain it has been asked!

Okay, I'll venture a guess: Maybe a new cruiser thinks that certain stairs are intended only for certain directions of travel. In essence, they are making it more complicated than it is!:D

no the phase of the moon doesn't vary location on the earth except you see it differently between the northern and southern hemisphere...

I looked it up to make sure..

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/time/moon/hemispheres.html

I remember how surprised I was when I found out that teachers did not actually live at school - but then in my defence I was only about 8!

I remember my kids surprise when we met one of their teachers at the supermarket one day.

When we were viewing the glacier in Alaska the Captain announced that there were some sea lions on an ice floe at "9:00" - we were on the port side of the ship so I looked out to my left and there they were. But the lady seated near us looked at her watch - it was about 1:00 pm - and told her daughter that it was a bit too late to tell us about the sea lions now.

I didn't want to embarrass her but I figured they probably did want to see the sea lions so I explained about 12:00 (the bow of the ship), 9:00 (out to our left), etc. So they were able to get some photos of the sea lions and she was laughing when she explained to her husband and other daughter when they returned from their hot cocoa run.

One of my favourites:

"When do you open?"

"In an hour."

"Finnish or Swedish time?"

(I work on a ship cruising between those two countries, which -you guessed it- are on different time zones.)

I've been on ships that you can't get to certain areas on different decks on some elevators/stairs. It can be confusing to someone who has never been on that ship. A confused person could be asking if that elevator/stairs go up to the "pool" or down to the "dining room". It just comes out wrong and is no indication of that person's IQ.

What I'd really like to know is why are the HOTTUBS so Cold?

Lois

Because some kids (and adults) spend too much time in the hot tubs and that could be a health risk (over heating).

I would need a box of tissue behind the counter to wipe away the tears of laughter after some of these questions.

It does make you wonder how any of these people could afford to pay for a cruise.

I'm pretty sure "stupid" crosses financial class lines indescriminately.

Well it certainly made me laugh. I'm a first time cruiser but WON'T be asking any of those questions LOL :D

The "Silly questions from Cruise Ship passengers" story has been around since the earth cooled. It's supposed to be a JOKE.

Archived