Funny questions by passengers

Cruise staff

Hey all,

Thought I share the top ten "smart" questions passengers ask me while I work at the desk.

10) Where are we sailing to?

9) What time are we taking off?

8) How do I walk forward?

7) Is the toilet water salty?

6) Why are we rocking?

5) Do you go home each night?

4) How do we know which one is our photos?

3) Does the elevator takes us forward?

2) Is the moon we see the same moon back at home?

AND....the number 1 "smart" question

1) Does the stairs take me up or down?

:D

Hey all,

Thought I share the top ten "smart" questions passengers ask me while I work at the desk.

6) Why are we rocking?

lol I would NOT do well trying to deal with the public like this! My sarcastic-meter would be off the charts lol

lol I would NOT do well trying to deal with the public like this! My sarcastic-meter would be off the charts lol

Dealing with the lovely passengers makes you wonder where do these people come from.

I think I have become immune to all the passengers quirky comments, question and remarks. I can be sarcastic if I want to but I have learnt to tone down for fear of the repercussion.

At the desk, we have an internal list that all we write in with the funniest comments made by passengers. Good source of laughter when we needed it and we present it at our weekly back office meeting.

Dealing with the lovely passengers makes you wonder where do these people come from.

I think I have become immune to all the passengers quirky comments, question and remarks. I can be sarcastic if I want to but I have learnt to tone down for fear of the repercussion.

At the desk, we have an internal list that all we write in with the funniest comments made by passengers. Good source of laughter when we needed it and we present it at our weekly back office meeting.

lol note to self: don't do or say anything to end up in the cruise staff's list or be presented at their meetings :D

The human species really isn't all that bright at times. That is why I enjoy just sitting around the pool watching the incredibly odd or stupid things we do.

ChipQ. http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Love people watching too.

It's amazing how some people make it through daily life when you hear some of these comments.

I work in a hospital doing out patient testing and we got on the topics of cruises. My patient said that on the last night of thier cruise her and her husband were in thier undies and put the luggage out in the hallway and the door locked behind them. she said she ran to the laundry room to hide while her husband went in his underwear to get help. My comment was "why didnt you open your luggage and throw something on?" A look of amazement came over her. she said "I never thought of that "

I work in a hospital doing out patient testing and we got on the topics of cruises. My patient said that on the last night of thier cruise her and her husband were in thier undies and put the luggage out in the hallway and the door locked behind them. she said she ran to the laundry room to hide while her husband went in his underwear to get help. My comment was "why didnt you open your luggage and throw something on?" A look of amazement came over her. she said "I never thought of that "

That would only work if your luggage was unlocked - or if you have a combination type lock. Which we do. But at a time like that your brain shuts down and the most logical solution goes right out the window.

6) Why are we rocking?

Although there may be a lot of people who turn off their brain when they go on vacation, I’d bet that most of these questions are simply taken out of context, or questions that may seem to have an obvious answer when rephrased as posted.

“Where are we sailing to?” is simply a query about what the next port on the itinerary is.

“What time are we taking off?”means what time are we sailing.

“How do I walk forward?” is a query by DiCaprio or Winslet wannabe who is looking to get onto the tip of the bow.

“Is the toilet water salty?” is a valid question. In many parts of the world the water that one uses to flush toilets is non-potable. It would make sense to use free sea water saving the expense of desalinating the seawater. As a matter of fact, I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

“How do we know which is our photo?” may be asked by a person in a groupshot.

And if you are looking for an infirmary/photoshop/bar/etc. and ask a crew member who directs you to take the next set of stairs to your destination, it would make sense to ask if you should go up or down. Hence the grammatically challenging “Does the stairs take me up or down?” would be a valid question.

Although there may be a lot of people who turn off their brain when they go on vacation, I’d bet that most of these questions are simply taken out of context, or questions that may seem to have an obvious answer when rephrased as posted.

“Where are we sailing to?” is simply a query about what the next port on the itinerary is.

“What time are we taking off?”means what time are we sailing.

“How do I walk forward?” is a query by DiCaprio or Winslet wannabe who is looking to get onto the tip of the bow.

“Is the toilet water salty?” is a valid question. In many parts of the world the water that one uses to flush toilets is non-potable. It would make sense to use free sea water saving the expense of desalinating the seawater. As a matter of fact, I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

“How do we know which is our photo?” may be asked by a person in a groupshot.

And if you are looking for an infirmary/photoshop/bar/etc. and ask a crew member who directs you to take the next set of stairs to your destination, it would make sense to ask if you should go up or down. Hence the grammatically challenging “Does the stairs take me up or down?” would be a valid question.

Totally agree! Maybe folks at the purser's desk should take a few minutes to totally understand the question rather than writing down what they feel is a funny question to be used for amusement and making fun of PAX later. :rolleyes:

Although there may be a lot of people who turn off their brain when they go on vacation, I’d bet that most of these questions are simply taken out of context, or questions that may seem to have an obvious answer when rephrased as posted...

You guys are funny. This is the Cruise Director's comedy routine on the last night of the cruise. They aren't real and I venture to guess the person who posted them did so for a chuckle. :D Come on. ;)

Hey all,

6) Why are we rocking?

These questions are so old that they were probably written on papyrus on one of the first Egyptian boats on the Nile.

DON

There's the one about the old lady sailing from Britain to Australia. On the way through the Bay of Biscay, she asked one of the officers "Could you tell me where the nearest lavatory is". Answer - "Port side". She said "Oh dear - couldn't you ask the captain to call in at Gibraltar?"

Hey all,

6) Why are we rocking?

This list (or a variation of it) has been around since cruising first began, and CD's love to quote from it and add their own "snappy answers". Part of my job includes customer service, and I, too, occasionally have to bite my tongue and do my best to keep a straight face when answering some really dumb questions. I have a sign posted near my desk that says "You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?" :D

"Can the Captain turn the ship round ? I think I left my sweater in a cafe in Helsinki"

No, you've not seen that one - yet ;)

On a sea day after Helsinki, I couldn't find a sweater. So I went to reception, thinking I may have left it in a bar or the theatre. The lady checked, "no, its not been handed in".

"Then I think I left it in a cafe in Helsinki" says I.

Adding, flippantly "any chance of going back for it?"

Instead of a little smile, the lady patiently explained with a straight face that if we turned round, the ship wouldn't get to the next port on time.

I didn't have the nerve to tell her it was a feeble joke.

So I guess that might get added to the list of dumb questions.

But, hey, they're fun :)

JB :)

ps old favourites "does the ship generate its own electricity?" and "do the crew sleep on board?" are missing on this thread.;)

I bet that is when the real embarrasement happened.

ps old favourites "does the ship generate its own electricity?" and "do the crew sleep on board?" are missing on this thread.;)

I've had a couple of passengers ask me how I get home.

When I answer that I use public transport they looked at me completely bewildered.

"No, I meant at night. When your shift is over."

"Then I just take the stairs to deck 4. Our cabins are located there."

"What... cabins?? You don't go home at night?!"

Maybe they just do not realize that it's not that easy when you are in the middle of the ocean. Or then they think we live scattered around the islands or something :rolleyes:

For most of you, yes that list have been around since the beginning of time or since Adam and Eve and I get that.

But once you work at the desk and have to deal with all this stupid questions first hand, you have to wonder.

For me working at the desk, these was questions I get. Before working on the cruise ship, I also thought that the list going around since the dark ages was all made up but once you actually listen to passengers asking questions, I now realize the reality of "these" passengers. :)

Archived