Duty free alcohol

englishgal

not sure where to ask this question!

We are joining solstice next month in Barcelona and have been told there is a duty free shop on the port which we can use. Has anyone bought a bottle and taken it on board without a problem? I was under the impression no alcohol to be taken, but a friend did and had no problem. Any advise please!

We are joining solstice next month in Barcelona and have been told there is a duty free shop on the port which we can use. Has anyone bought a bottle and taken it on board without a problem? I was under the impression no alcohol to be taken, but a friend did and had no problem. Any advise please!

I haven't been to Barcelona, but on several other ports, I've brought duty free liquor back to the ship with me. Since this is going to be your original embarkation port, you'll have to ask them how to get the liquor on the ship. (They are in that business, so they know) I would imagine that the duty free shop will have it put on the ship themselves. Or, you would bring it through security, as I did in Athens, and then generally there will be a table where the crew collects it and stores it on board, to be returned to you on the last day of the cruise. I assume that you are aware that you cannot purchase duty free liquor and then use it while on the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link for the Barcelona Pier

http://bcnshop.barcelonaturisme.com/wwwfiles/bcnprof/bcn-cruise-facilities-2011.pdf

It would seem there are a number of shops, including duty free.

Celebrity allows you to take 2 bottles of wine on board (not sure if that's two per person or per cabin but we've never had a problem 2 per person).

Hard liquor will most likely be taken and held until the day of departure. That being said a few years back I picked up a bottle of scotch and they didn't take it. Took a lot of willpower not to open it while on the cruise (it was a very nice bottle that I wanted for my home).

We bought wine at the Barcelona pier last year.. The stores are after security so there is no problem taking items on board. I don't recall if they had hard liquor but I think so & think I bought a bottle of absolut.

Here is the link for the Barcelona Pier

http://bcnshop.barcelonaturisme.com/wwwfiles/bcnprof/bcn-cruise-facilities-2011.pdf

It would seem there are a number of shops, including duty free.

Celebrity allows you to take 2 bottles of wine on board (not sure if that's two per person or per cabin but we've never had a problem 2 per person).

Hard liquor will most likely be taken and held until the day of departure. That being said a few years back I picked up a bottle of scotch and they didn't take it. Took a lot of willpower not to open it while on the cruise (it was a very nice bottle that I wanted for my home).

They are much stricter now and appear to be confiscating everything but the two bottles of wine per cabin that you are allowed.

• 3 weeks later...

You are allowed two bottles of wine to take on at embarkation port only. Take the wine in your hand luggage or loose - if you put it in your case they will open it. Its ONLY wine (nothing else) and it is for room consumption - if you take it to a bar to drink you will be charged corkage (currently $25). Any other alcohol you take on board/buy at a port/buy in duty free on board will be taken away from you and returned at the end of your holiday. Hope this helps.

You are allowed two bottles of wine to take on at embarkation port only. Take the wine in your hand luggage or loose - if you put it in your case they will open it. Its ONLY wine (nothing else) and it is for room consumption - if you take it to a bar to drink you will be charged corkage (currently $25). Any other alcohol you take on board/buy at a port/buy in duty free on board will be taken away from you and returned at the end of your holiday. Hope this helps.

Buy wine/spirits to take home, but buy a drink package to have while aboard.:D

We took 2 bottles of wine on board and on the last day realised we hadn't drunk them -not wanting to put them in my luggage to fly back we opened one and made the best we could of it but the other got left. Lesson for me that we don't need 2 bottles

Drinks package!?! I wouldnt drink that amount of alcohol on a year :) hehe

IMO, I was just saying that if someone doesn't want/need a drinks package they can buy the non Alcohol one or the soda package or just pay as they go. If they don't drink much then why do they need to bring more than 2 bottles of wine on board. :D

Hmm, we took a cruise out of Barcelona last October and had prepurchased wine and put it in our suitcase. the next day we went to the cruise dock and after security and checking in we went into the duty free shop and bought Jameson and 4 bottles of wine and put it in our carry one. No one said a thing and we put it in our room. It was only used around 4:00p on the verande during our own happy hour with appies while getting ready for dinner. Question: did they check anyones carry ons once on board? We walked right up the ramp and they met us with sparkling wine and that was it. What am I missing here?

Hmm, we took a cruise out of Barcelona last October and had prepurchased wine and put it in our suitcase. the next day we went to the cruise dock and after security and checking in we went into the duty free shop and bought Jameson and 4 bottles of wine and put it in our carry one. No one said a thing and we put it in our room. It was only used around 4:00p on the verande during our own happy hour with appies while getting ready for dinner. Question: did they check anyones carry ons once on board? We walked right up the ramp and they met us with sparkling wine and that was it. What am I missing here?

Usually, hand lugguge goes through the security scanner as you board after the gangplank.

Usually, hand lugguge goes through the security scanner as you board after the gangplank.

All other ports stops do that, but in Barcelona it is different. Security first, then checkin then duty free then straight on board! No xray, at least not last year. It was great. This port is fabulous even debarkation was a breeze.

Archived