How bad is the destiny

Do NOT believe everything you read. We have sailed the Destiny twice now. We love the Destiny. Not 1 complaint. The staff was amazing, the food, out of this world. The MDR staff was awesome. Sad to see her getting a new name.

Just to note, as i read reviews after we booked our 1st trip, i was so scared and thought "what did we get ourselves in to" and almost switched to another cruise. We are sure glad we didn't. We had so much fun we went on her again this past February. The layout of the ship is easy to get around. Yes, she may be just a tad outdated, but kept very clean, but you can't go wrong with the Destiny.

It's amazing how people will label the cruise a bad experience, but what really was their bad experience that made them not like the cruise. As long as a you have a good attitude, you'll have a blast.....

we really like were the destiny is going but reading all the reviews and knowing that it is going into a total refab. would you go on it? thanks for all the reviews.

We love the Destiny. You can read my reviews from links in my signature.

We just did a B2B2B....

We sailed on The Destiny five years ago out of San Juan for a seven night cruise. We enjoyed the ship and had no problems. Things may have changed since then, but we had a great time and would sail on her again in a minute.

MexicoBob

We sailed her in February. We have only done 2 cruises and it was a great overall cruise. The Itinerary was awesome. The ship took a little getting used to but we managed.( got a little extra exercise in the process:p) The food in the MDR was excellent. The wait staff was great. The rest of the staff was very nice and professional. We witnessed a domestic dispute across from our cabin one night and the security staff handled it swiftly and professionally. The best shows were the Love and Marriage and the broadway show at the end of the cruise. We did encounter THE smell. It seemed to be towards the front of the ship, but we never smelled it in the dining areas or clubs or out on lido. Embarkation and debarkation was very smooth. There were little things here and there, but nothing that would prevent us from sailing her again sometime. Keep an open mind and have a blast. If you go looking for a fun time, you will find it. If you go looking for a bad time, you will find it.

Al and Julie

Just sailed on her this past August and loved her! Everything was great.

As a comparison...just sailed on the Freedom last month..a newer ship...layout pretty much same as Destiny (essentially same blue print..maybe a few minor changes). Destiny didn't have Serenity area or a steakhouse (Sunshine getting these and more). Food was great...steward was great and we had a great time. Maybe at one time Destiny had a lot of issues, but I believe these may have been resolved. I've been reading many good reviews on her during the past year or so. Will be interesting to see how the "Sunshine" does.

My family and I are booked on her for a thanksgiving cruise. We booked TWO DAYS before the announcement! Ate first we were really worried and concerned that the ship would be "let go" so close to her scheduled dry dock renovation.

Since we booked, the prices have been all over the place with different promotions. I

If you like the intin and the price, I'd say give it shot.

I just got off the Destiny this past Saturday. I thought the layout of the ship was a little weird but got use to it quickly. If you have a tender port, we had issues with the tenders but other then that, I thought everything else was great. Great crew. Lots of fun. Very clean, good food.

I would sail her again, especially back to HMC :)

The good thing about reviews is that travelers can give you some wonderful information.

The bad thing about reviews is that "sometimes" they are written by unreasonable tourists.

Of course, you have no way of knowing if your writer is a traveler or a tourist.

So here is a little tip that I developed over the years....

how to read a NEGATIVE review.

1. Is the complaint legitimate? This is where you can quickly recognize an unreasonable tourist (or as I like to call them STARFISH).

IF you see the words ALL, MOST, HORRIBLE, NIGHTMARE, CRUISE FROM H@LL.... stop reading. This is an unreasonable tourist and should be ignored.

So you'd find a review of say someone who was on the Concordias last cruise and used the term "from hell" to be unreasonable. Ok then. Context. A (Whatever) from hell isn't always unreasonable; you just need to see the context to determine if in fact it was unreasonable.

The good thing about reviews is that travelers can give you some wonderful information.

The bad thing about reviews is that "sometimes" they are written by unreasonable tourists.

Of course, you have no way of knowing if your writer is a traveler or a tourist.

So here is a little tip that I developed over the years....

how to read a NEGATIVE review.

1. Is the complaint legitimate? This is where you can quickly recognize an unreasonable tourist (or as I like to call them STARFISH).

IF you see the words ALL, MOST, HORRIBLE, NIGHTMARE, CRUISE FROM H@LL.... stop reading. This is an unreasonable tourist and should be ignored.

A legitimate complaint will not be an exxaggeration or a generalization.

2. If the complaint is legitimate, does if affect you?

For example, if someone complains that they can not smoke on anywhere on Lido that they want to...and you don't smoke...then that does not affect you.

If someone complains that the Spa is to expensive and you are not a Spa person, then it does not affect you.

However, if someone complains that the food they received in the Main Dining Room was cold or that they felt their service was rushed...if you plan to eat in the Main Dining Room...then that DOES affect you.

3. IF the complaint is legitimate and it does affect you....based on this information, can you still go and have a GREAT time?

IF the answer is no...then don't book. IF the answer is yes...then BOOK IT DANO!!

Excellent post.

where the Destiny specifically is concerned....

we sailed on her in 2010. We had a good cruise. Food, ship etc were all fine. However, be aware that for what ever reason....this ship draws the largest percentage of folks who remove their tips. (this means the crew does not get paid their salary)

Therefore...none of the experienced crew want to get assigned there. And those who are assigned there get tired of working and not getting paid.

Not saying you are not right but where in the heck do you find that kind of info? Just wondering where this information came from?

So you'd find a review of say someone who was on the Concordias last cruise and used the term "from hell" to be unreasonable. Ok then. Context. A (Whatever) from hell isn't always unreasonable; you just need to see the context to determine if in fact it was unreasonable.

Really? That is a completely unfair statement. No one would think anyone was exaggeratiing when it came to the Concordia. LHP was saying in general, not about a shipwrecked vessel!

we really like were the destiny is going but reading all the reviews and knowing that it is going into a total refab. would you go on it? thanks for all the reviews.

Went on it in 2009. We had engine trouble and could not make it to Grand Turk (the main reason we booked the cruise). We hat Nassau twice in one cruise.

Other than that, we loved it! We will be heading back on her in November just to make another attempt at Grand Turk. We are traveling with friends and will have a blast! If we miss Grand Turk again...we will still have a blast! That will give us an excuse to book another cruise heading to Grand Turk.

Book it and have a blast!

No! Don't do it! I went on Destiny 2 years ago. This past March we did Royal Caribbian. RC is a much better experience.

If you do decide to go to Jamacia, be prepaird to have the locals harass you - especially trying to get you to buy ganja! It is beautiful, but I don't have any desire to go back.

You can't judge things one someone else's experience. I LOVED the Destiny and met some superior crew members on her. I am disappointed that when they do her over they are changing the name. I would sail on her right now if I could and 5 more times after that!!!

Its pretty bad. No I would not cruise on it again. I have cruised 6 times without a complaint. The experience was surprising because it was so bad. Looooooooooong lines for anything. Breakfast was a 45 minute wait for the hot buffet. I am not exaggerating either. Tenders to HMC were a disaster. Everything is broke. Ice cream machines, elevators (I was stuck in one), closet doors, lights in cabin, card reader machines, pools, hot tubs, speakers on lido, etc. Service was still great of course. Food was yuck. Buffet was sad. Pretty bummed with Carnival letting this ship "limp" into dry dock. I am going to try NCL or maybe go back to RCL for a bit until they figure it out.

I sailed on Destiny in 2010 and it was my first cruise with Carnival.

I had read so many negative things about Carnival I didn't know what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised. We had a great time; service and food were both great.

Archived