Layover in Honolulu

Pickels

Here's our situation; our ship docks in Honolulu after our cruise at 7 am, our flight is scheduled for 4:30 pm. Any suggestions on how to spend some time waiting for our flight? Don't want to just wait at the airport as we'll have a long flight back to NY. Thanks all.

Here's our situation; our ship docks in Honolulu after our cruise at 7 am, our flight is scheduled for 4:30 pm. Any suggestions on how to spend some time waiting for our flight? Don't want to just wait at the airport as we'll have a long flight back to NY. Thanks all.

There are a bunch of things to do in Honolulu, not the least of which is Pearl Harbor. You can kill a whole day there. Youll probably have to rent a car to get there tho. Its not very far from the airport either! :)

Consider a car rental for the day. Place to store luggage and transportation to airport.

Of course, you might not get off until 9 or so. And you need to be at airport by 3 or so.

We just came back on Saturday. We got to the airport about 9:30 and waited in line at the airport for 1-1/2 hours. Do not cut the time you get there too close, as it may not be enough. There were also 2 cancelled flights and 1 delayed. Many people had to change flights, us included.

This is a few years back but we took a post-cruise NCL ship tour of Pearl Harbor and the city. Dropped us off at the airport in the afternoon for an early evening flight back home.

Doing this exact thing in January. The NCL website specifies that the excursion is for guests who have flights after 4 PM. So this could be a good diversion until your plane leaves. It's a 6 hour tour that leaves the port area around 8 AM, so you should arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before you are schuled to ldepart.

Aloha

Would suggest a tour that gets you to airport in time for flight. Most ship's tours only request that your flight time be after 3 PM. Then, good thing, is that your luggage stays on the bus you are on, and you are dropped at the airport with your luggage!

Get a rental car, go to Pearl Harbor, go to the North Shore, Dole Plantation, drive around the island, eat at a shrimp truck.

The key is to be mobile with a car.

I don't know what day of the week you will be in Waikiki, but if you like art you might consider the Honolulu Museum of Art's tour of the the Doris Duke home, Shangrila. They take you in a van from the museum to the home and then back to the museum. The entire tour is about 2-3 hours. There is also a wonderful restaurant at the museum to enjoy for lunch before or after the tour if you have time. This has been a highlight for many of our friends who are visiting Oahu. And...if this doesn't work, I would do a fabulous beach day on Waikiki. I never leave Hawaii without a bit of sand between my toes. Cherie

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know what day of the week you will be in Waikiki, but if you like art you might consider the Honolulu Museum of Art's tour of the the Doris Duke home, Shangrila. They take you in a van from the museum to the home and then back to the museum. The entire tour is about 2-3 hours. There is also a wonderful restaurant at the museum to enjoy for lunch before or after the tour if you have time. This has been a highlight for many of our friends who are visiting Oahu. And...if this doesn't work, I would do a fabulous beach day on Waikiki. I never leave Hawaii without a bit of sand between my toes. Cherie

Excellent choice - we liked the tour so much the first time, we went back on another cruise.

The new Pearl Harbor exhibit is excellent - if you haven't been there since last December, you will appreciate it. If you have a rental car, you can leave your luggage in the trunk. Allowing for the time to get off the ship and get your rental car - and we were picked up by Thrifty once at the pier - you can make a reservation for a convenient certain time at Pearl Harbor. You will need to plan to be there an hour early.

Archived