MSP to FLL March 2013, why so expensive right now?

newfielover

I am planning on flying from MSP to FLL on March 9, 2013. I cruised this past March and bought my ticket last July and paid $585. Right now flights are going for $1249 for March 9, 2013. Why is it so expensive right now? When should it go down?

Thanks for any help.

Why do I have a sneaky suspicion that the OP is talking about the price for a couple, not just a per person price?

And, as always, the lack of actual flight information, including dates and times, makes recreating his situation impossible.

GIGO.

OP posted this on another thread in this forum, which provides the information:

Hi, I am in the same position as you. I plan on flying from Mpls on Saturday March 9th (Allure sails on Sunday) and return on Sunday March 17th. This past March I flew into FLL and spent the night there and my flight was much cheaper than the $789 that Delta wants this morning. I have a $400 travel voucher to use from Delta, so I will fly with them. I guess I will keep on waiting like others have been saying. Or, do I look into flying into Miami and figuring out hotels, transportation etc. FLL is just so easy with hotel and shuttle from airport on Saturday, pier on Sunday and then taxi for FLL airport on Sunday.

DL's price for these flights is currently $1250, which IMO is crazy. It may be nonstop, but paying that would not be worth it to me, even with a $400 voucher. You can book a flight with one stop for about half that price right now.

• 6 months later...

Anyone have any suggestions. Want to go on the Norwegian Epic. Looking at two dates and going into FLL the day before.

March 8 to to March 16th or March 15th to March 23rd. I am only finding over $1200.00 for the two of us also.

Don't want to do a Red Eye , been there done that hate it.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everyones time.

Anyone have any suggestions. Want to go on the Norwegian Epic. Looking at two dates and going into FLL the day before.

March 8 to to March 16th or March 15th to March 23rd. I am only finding over $1200.00 for the two of us also.

Don't want to do a Red Eye , been there done that hate it.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everyones time.

A big help would be where you are flying from.

Have a play with http://matrix.itasoftware.com to point you in the right direction. For both of those weeks, I can see itineraries with non-stops in both directions on flights that are not overnight (although not necessarily best timed) from under $500, and you can take another $100 off that if you're prepared to connect.

Air fares are always best discussed on a per person basis, otherwise it gets very confusing.

Just want to add that when you make your reservations be sure to fly in a day or more before. Don't fly in the day of the cruise.

The poster indicated that he DOES plan to fly in the day before the cruise.

To put some flesh on the bones now that I have some time to do this, here are alternatives for that first week:

------------------------------------------

Cheapest itinerary on the specified days, avoiding overnight flights

Fri 8 March

UA1215 PHX 0600-0938 IAH

UA810 IAH 1012-1337 FLL

Sat 16 March

UA2318 FLL 1945-2154 PHX (ops US1003)

$453.90

Cheapest non-stop itinerary on the specified days, avoiding overnight flights

Fri 8 March

US183 PHX 0952-1606 FLL

Sat 16 March

US1003 FLL 1945-2154 PHX

$493.60

Cheapest itinerary if you're prepared to fly one day earlier

Thu 7 March

UA1297 PHX 1221-1807 CLE

UA712 CLE 1918-2214 FLL

Sat 16 March

UA2318 FLL 1945-2154 PHX (ops US1003)

$392.40

Thanks for everyones help. It is very much appreciated.

Why is it that it is so expensive to fly to Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks again All.

I don't think it's all that expensive. One of the options was under $400. That's $400 (or $200 each way) to fly across one of the world's largest countries, on aircraft that are worth tens of millions of dollars, using 3 gallons of fuel per mile (or about 12,000 gallons roundtrip, or about 80 gallons per person roundtrip), with many crew members both on the ground and in the air, plus airport fees, plus security fees, plus taxes. And you're going to Florida at the beginning of peak Spring Break time. To me, the prices seem quite fair for PHX-FLL-PHX IMHO.

Zach I agree $400 is a good price but where did you see that?

I do not want a red eye. But $1200 for two of us is a bit pricey if you ask me.

If I can fine $800 for both of us that would be great and a awesome price. Unfortunately I can not fine this price or I would have jumped on it.

Did you read post #15, where the flights were clearly listed for you? Go to UA's webpage and look them up.

Business people generally do not fly to FLL, one reason prices are higher. It's also a big vacation destination, so lots of demand from families. Keeps prices high. I don't think the prices Globaliser found for you are bad at all.

Archived