Maasdam or Veendam for 7-day Canada/New England cruise

Friend100

Itinerary is the same - Boston to Montreal. Timing is the same.

If you were choosing between the 2 ships, how much more (either $-wise or percentage-wise) are you willing to pay for Maasdam over Veendam ... or vice versa? And why?

TIA :)

We got off the Maasdam in March - have to say I was very impressed with the ship. Really enjoyed it - I think the question asked - price difference would be very helpful:)

How much is the difference in price,,,,,,,, same cabin to same cabin/near date - near date?

Actually that is my question to the expert here if the cabin is same category and date are within a week, how much of a premium, percentage-wise, are you willing to pay for Maasdam as compared to Veendam, hypothetically speaking? Or in other words, how much of a discount you would need to get in order to "give up" Maasdam and cruise on Veendam for this itinerary.

For the particular one I am looking at, the price percentage difference is about 70% ... so let's say Veendam is $2,600 and Maasdam is $4,400. Veendam has 3rd/4th passenger reduced rate special that we can take advantage of, but Maasdam does not.

I would pay the additional 30% to sail Maasdam over Veendam, however, because Veendam is doing a cruise that no other ship is doing, we have booked to sail Veendam next year.

Of course, HAL has wisely given Veendam popular and/or unique itineraries because many of us do not go out of our way to sail her.

Even the die hard Maasdam lovers ( including me and DH) will sail Veendam if the itinerary is sweet enough. :D

Given your choice, OP, same itinerary and dates, I would choose Maasdam. JMO......

Edited by sail7seas

I would pay the additional 30% to sail Maasdam over Veendam, however, because Veendam is doing a cruise that no other ship is doing, we have booked to sail Veendam next year.

Of course, HAL has wisely given Veendam popular and/or unique itineraries because many of us do not go out of our way to sail her.

Even the die hard Maasdam lovers ( including me and DH) will sail Veendam if the itinerary is sweet enough. :D

Given your choice, OP, same itinerary and dates, I would choose Maasdam. JMO......

Thanks sail, then I think probably our choice is either stay home or Veendam :(. Actually the difference is a 70% premium, not 30%.

For the particular one I am looking at, the price percentage difference is about 70% ... so let's say Veendam is $2,600 and Maasdam is $4,400. Veendam has 3rd/4th passenger reduced rate special that we can take advantage of, but Maasdam does not.

For the differance in price of $1,800.00, Veendam.

Btw, we just got off Veendam (not our first time) and will be on her again next year. We have been on Maasdam multiple times too.

Thanks sail, then I think probably our choice is either stay home or Veendam :(. Actually the difference is a 70% premium, not 30%.

Given the choice of not go on that wonderrful itinerary or stay home, no contest......... we would definitely sail Veendam. As I said, we actually did book her for next year.

Given the choice of Maasdam thrown into the mix, that would change our chocie but don't miss out on this cruise. Sail Veendam. :) You'll be glad you did!!!

What is the difference in the itineraries of Veendam and Maasdam?

As I said' date=' they are exactly the same, going from Boston to Montreal. This is for fall of this year.

[img']http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/itineraryMaps/NN2F07.jpg[/img]

I understand in 2013 the Veendam's itinerary only goes to Québec and overnight there, but this isn't what I am considering.

:) We love the aft pool on Maasdam. It was removed on Veendam and replaced with a bunch of hot tubs which we don't use. This is the main reason why we would choose Maasdam over Veendam.

DH loves Maasdam's Aft Pool and the fact it is on Navigation Deck. We love that convenience and will miss it on Veendam. A Caribbean itinerary it would make even more difference but DH has spent many hours out there even on Canada itinerary when we've had great weather.

I'm more uneasy about air conditioning and plumbing........

Hopefully all will be well on Veendam for all her cruises.

Edited by sail7seas

As I said, they are exactly the same, going from Boston to Montreal. This is for fall of this year.

NN2F07.jpg

I understand in 2013 the Veendam's itinerary only goes to Québec and overnight there, but this isn't what I am considering.

Have a great time whichever ship you take.

I thought maybe there was a big difference in the V and M itineraries in 2013 summer cruises, but it seems to be just one port. Thanks for the info.

Right

The Veendam doesn't go to Montreal.

As I mentioned earlier -- she overnights in Quebec City.

Yes you did, KK, and I appreciate it. Since I had specifically asked Friend and he came back and replied I thought I should thank him. Thanks to you too.

Thanks everyone for your advice and input. This is very helpful.

So I can see that Maasdam is the unanimous favourite, and people are willing to pay a premium as compared to the same cabin/itinerary on Veendam. But specifically between the 2 ships, is it the interior, exterior, design/style, general condition, mechnical, the crews, the services, food, cabin, aft pool/retreat, or something else, that really separate Maasdam from Veendam? Or put it in a different perspective, what's the reason making Veendam a less-than-favourable choice, for the same cabin and itinerary?

Thanks.

Edited by Friend100

But specifically between the 2 ships, is it the interior, exterior, design/style, general condition, mechnical, the crews, the services, food, cabin, aft pool/retreat, or something else, that really separate Maasdam from Veendam? Or put it in a different perspective, what's the reason making Veendam a less-than-favourable choice, for the same cabin and itinerary?

For me, it's the exterior/lack of aft pool/retreat. The whole look and feel of the ship was ruined when that change was made.

The profile of the Veendam looks awful when approaching it. There's no place to sit on the aft and quietly relax and enjoy the sea. And in warm weather areas, there's reduced opportunity for swimming.

Edited by RuthC

Some people want the aft pool that is still on the Maasdam.

But for me -- a port intensive cruise like this -- we wouldn't be on the ship much and really would not be using the pool.

I thought the Exploration's Cafe was much nicer on the Veendam as the colors there are light and not dark like on the Maasdam.

If you choose the Maasdam -- your turn around city is Montreal and there are limited sites near the ship. Also you will have to be back on the ship by 3:30 on Intransit day and will have lifeboat drill at 4:15. This gives you only the chce of booking one excursion on your own.

Veendam's turn around city is Quebec - and there are lots of sites within walking distance. Also overnighting here will give you the chance to book a couple of excursions on your own.

For me, it's the exterior/lack of aft pool/retreat. The whole look and feel of the ship was ruined when that change was made.

The profile of the Veendam looks awful when approaching it. There's no place to sit on the aft and quietly relax and enjoy the sea. And in warm weather areas, there's reduced opportunity for swimming.

Even before Veendam's refit, we always thought Maasdam a more beautiful ship. We like her art more, the dining room ceiling in Maasdam wonderful, her aft pool is a huge benefit over Veendam's 'Retreat'. We have not sailed Veendam recently enough to be able to comment about crew but all HAL crews are outstanding..... some just have a different manner/personality and all of that is personal to taste. Maasdam carries fewer guests as the cabins that were added to Veendam which necessitated removing her pool, are not on Maasdam. Fewer people sharing same public spaces.

Some people want the aft pool that is still on the Maasdam.

But for me -- a port intensive cruise like this -- we wouldn't be on the ship much and really would not be using the pool.

I thought the Exploration's Cafe was much nicer on the Veendam as the colors there are light and not dark like on the Maasdam.

If you choose the Maasdam -- your turn around city is Montreal and there are limited sites near the ship. Also you will have to be back on the ship by 3:30 on Intransit day and will have lifeboat drill at 4:15. This gives you only the chce of booking one excursion on your own.

Veendam's turn around city is Quebec - and there are lots of sites within walking distance. Also overnighting here will give you the chance to book a couple of excursions on your own.

I totally disagree with regard to turnaround day in Montreal.

Every year when we have Montreal day, we leave the ship, walk for ages and enjoy so much about this great city. We wander Old Montreal, enjoy the pretty square at the waterfront, then head to Ste Catherine and shop. We go to Le Baie, visit the very beautiful church just across from that store and sometimes browse other nearby shops. We then go for lunch and have our favorite spots we enjoy.

We are usually getting tired by the time we finish lunch and head back to the ship.

VERY often, we have been lucky to be there on the annual Celebration of Market Day. They set up stalls and stands very near the ship, are dressed in period costume, have marching troops, shoot their muskets...... it's terrific. The have homemade jams and jellies, soaps, handcrafts, candles ........ It is representative of how the farmers markets of today evolved and we never tire of it.

AND how can one forget Notre Dame Basilica of Montreal? It' is gorgeous, a short walk from the ship and a real treat to tour.

This is nothing against Quebec City as we LOVE it there, too, but I cannot disagree more about 'dismissing' Montreal as not a great turnaround port. It's a fabulous city IMO

Edited by sail7seas

• 4 years later...
I'm thinking of doing this cruise with my family this summer. I know its like 5 years later but these are still the two ships going at the same time. Is the preference still the Maasdam? Any changes with either?

If I were you I would start a new thread with this. You need current information.