felony record am i allowed to cruise?

Canada can be a big problem and they DO have access to many records via your passport swipe.

They knew about a juvie record, almost 40 years prior on a trip a couple years ago, going into Sidney.

I have been in your shoes in a way. Below is my story about Canadian Customs.

Well first a background. While in the US Military I did something stupid in late 1999 that I did in Overseas. I was under investigation from the Military CID for over a year and half. After such I was NEVER CHARGED with a crime. I was only discharged from the Military with an Other Than Honorable discharge in early 2001.

Well I take a Family Vacation to Alaska in Aug 2009 with my first ever cruise that ended in Vancouver, Canada. Note that I had a great vacation except for the Debarkation day in Canada.

We got of the Ryndam and proceeded through Customs. My Family made it with no problem. When I handed over my Passport, I was asked to do some more screening. They went through all of my bags and my photos on my camera. Then I had to wait a couple of hours to talk to an agent. The proplem was about the Criminal Charge the Military had on my record that I was NEVER was tried for. This was a very difficult time for me. This is also very difficult for me as I type it now.

Well they did end up letting me in but it took 2-3 hours to get in the country. I enjoyed the rest of the vacation and took an early shuttle back to the Airport just in case I had problems getting back in the U.S. I had no problems comming home.

Well sorry for being long winded here. I feel that my story is relevent to the thread. If the Moderators feel that it wasnt feel free to delete this post.

Thank you for your time and patience.

That's rough...luckily it was only a few hours and you had no further trouble. Although you weren't tried, you were charged & those charges were discharged. In order to easily enter Canada, you would require a Pardon for that record (I'm not sure how that works for US into Canada vs Canada into US). But since the charges were in 1999 & the discharge came in 2001, you'd be well past the time frame required before applying.

• 1 year later...

I've read several threads here (the most recent appears to be May 2012) about persons with a prior felony conviction cruising. Most responses seemed to apply to Canada. I will be traveling through the Panama Canal with stops in Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Mexico.

Does anyone have any experience with issues with those countries? Will Celebrity prevent me from going on my cruise?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by shthiker
Moved to another thread

For Canada, it most definitely is a legal issue. They won't admit you if you have felony convictions.

Just an general FYI for anyone who might have something but think Canada won't find it. That may have been true in the past, but now Canada border agents have access to US criminal databases and can check US law enforcement sources real time and they routinely do.

Same is true for Canadians going to the USA. Both countries border services agencies share each others data bases and if a Canadian tries to enter the USA , having a criminal record, he or she will be denied. For the OP, I would be more concerned about what countries your cruise was stopping at than worry about boarding the ship. Other countries may also check you at the Immigration clearance and a Criminal Record could deny you access. At least in Canada, Drugs, DUI are considered morals offences and are grounds to deny you access.

In the summer I work as a tour guide in Niagara Falls. You should know that in Canada a DUI is considered a felony. I've had people on my tours denied entry into Canada because of a 25 year old DUI. Our sales agents now make it a point to explain this to customers before the purchase a tour of the Canadian side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

For Canada, it most definitely is a legal issue. They won't admit you if you have felony convictions.

Just an general FYI for anyone who might have something but think Canada won't find it. That may have been true in the past, but now Canada border agents have access to US criminal databases and can check US law enforcement sources real time and they routinely do.

In March of 2012 Canada modified their felony restrictions. Supposedly, for a DUI, you are considered rehabilitated if you haven't had any felony convictions in the last 10 years.

It's difficult to weed through the Internet postings and figure out exactly what is true. The DUI thing was killing tourism so it got fixed?

I've read several threads here (the most recent appears to be May 2012) about persons with a prior felony conviction cruising. Most responses seemed to apply to Canada. I will be traveling through the Panama Canal with stops in Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Mexico.

Does anyone have any experience with issues with those countries? Will Celebrity prevent me from going on my cruise?

Thanks in advance...

It's not so much that Celebrity will prevent you from boarding or even if the countries on the itinerary will permit you to the leave the ship and set foot on foreign soil. The question is what will be waiting you when it returns to the USA.

Check out this link http://blog.galveston.com/cruising/do-not-pass-go-do-not-collect/

In March of 2012 Canada modified their felony restrictions. Supposedly, for a DUI, you are considered rehabilitated if you haven't had any felony convictions in the last 10 years.

It's difficult to weed through the Internet postings and figure out exactly what is true. The DUI thing was killing tourism so it got fixed?

Can you lead me to the source for this change. The Official Canadian website seems to still say you have to "apply" for Rehabilitation which is a rather involved, lengthy and $$$$ process. I can find "NO WHERE" on the official Canadian government sites that clears this question up?????

It's not so much that Celebrity will prevent you from boarding or even if the countries on the itinerary will permit you to the leave the ship and set foot on foreign soil. The question is what will be waiting you when it returns to the USA.

Check out this link http://blog.galveston.com/cruising/do-not-pass-go-do-not-collect/

That blog has to do with warrants not felony convictions.

Can you lead me to the source for this change. The Official Canadian website seems to still say you have to "apply" for Rehabilitation which is a rather involved, lengthy and $$$$ process. I can find "NO WHERE" on the official Canadian government sites that clears this question up?????

Yeah I know it's kind of fuzzy. It appears you can get a temporary resident permit (TRP). I need to do some more research.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/traveling-to-canada-and-dui

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/prior-criminal-offenses/crossing-canadian-border-with-a-dui/

http://www.kanslaw.com/blog/canada-to-ease-rules-allowing-entry-for-americans-with-dwi-convictions.html

That blog has to do with warrants not felony convictions.

That permit is a one time only deal and costs $400!!!! Dealing with a family members DUI 16 yrs ago, never convicted, did a "Diversion Program" and License suspended for 90 days. So under Canadian law this counts as a Felony Conviction under Canada law.

Since then this person (who was 20 at the time) has not even had a traffic ticket.

We are driving into Canada thru Peace Arch/Blaine Washington next Friday. On our way for a college interview at University of British Columbia.

Official "Rehabilitation" is a months long process which involves an FBI Criminal background check, local criminal check, finger prints, and a complete copy of the file from the courts showing all detail and that the sentence and fines have ben completed. Now how the heck do you get those records from 16 yrs ago (or 40 yrs ago). The court house says those records are long gone as there was no conviction! So now we ate looking at needing an attorney to deal with the county court house who has blown off our every effort :(

Guess we will see next week and have made back up plans to leave the family member at a hotel while we cross the border for the admissions interview.

Wish us luck!

That permit is a one time only deal and costs $400!!!! Dealing with a family members DUI 16 yrs ago, never convicted, did a "Diversion Program" and License suspended for 90 days. So under Canadian law this counts as a Felony Conviction under Canada law.

Since then this person (who was 20 at the time) has not even had a traffic ticket.

We are driving into Canada thru Peace Arch/Blaine Washington next Friday. On our way for a college interview at University of British Columbia.

Official "Rehabilitation" is a months long process which involves an FBI Criminal background check, local criminal check, finger prints, and a complete copy of the file from the courts showing all detail and that the sentence and fines have ben completed. Now how the heck do you get those records from 16 yrs ago (or 40 yrs ago). The court house says those records are long gone as there was no conviction! So now we ate looking at needing an attorney to deal with the county court house who has blown off our every effort :(

Guess we will see next week and have made back up plans to leave the family member at a hotel while we cross the border for the admissions interview.

Wish us luck!

Umm, I did say anything about a permit?:confused:

Edit: I see you meant to quote a different poster, I get your permit comment now. Good luck.

Edited by reallyitsmema

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/new-canada-criminal-record-policy/

This new policy unfortunately is not the answer. According to this article it's a "one time only" and if applied for at the border most often does not work.

You still need to jump thru the "be-zillion" requirements for being "deemed rehabilitated".

For the new policy to work it depends on the officer at the border and whether that person/officer is willing to allow you in after reviewing your case (docs with you) and the Temp Visa application you have filled out.

Very disappointing!

There certainly is no clear path. I have read the TRP is free first-time. $200 for subsequent permits. I am not an expert or authority!

Even if the TRP is the solution, what happens when you try to reenter Vancouver when your cruise is over? It also seems it's still at the discretion of the border guard. It also seems less likely if you fly in.

If someone out there has an answer, please let the OP know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I don't think they do background checks. They do send your info to the government but I think that is more for a check for terrorists:eek: or immigration status. Don't try to get into Canada though. I have heard even folks with a DUI can't go to Canada.

I've know people with DUI's who got into Canada with no problem. It was not on a cruise but I doubt that would make a difference.

So how does it work if your cruise starts in Alaska and ends in Canada with an 8 year old DUI. With a flight ticket to get out of Canada after the cruise and back to california?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My understanding which is limited is that you could have a real problem.... But I am no expert.... We are worried about a 16yr old DUI and it was diverted with no conviction.

You can always contact the Embassy/Consulate here in the US for whatever country you are worried about. Some may issue a VISA or other document showing you brought the conviction to their government's attention and were interviewed/cleared.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

The Consulate General of Canada in San Francisco does not provide information or services relating to visas, immigration, permanent resident documents, or refusal of entry to Canada for non-Canadians. Enquiries relating to these matters will not receive a response. Please refer directly to Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website at http://www.cic.gc.ca. Immigration Services in California are provided by the Los Angeles Consulate: http://www.losangeles.gc.ca.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 8 months later...

I know this is a very old thread. I just wanted to update everyone on an Alaska cruise ending in Vancouver.

I had a DWI 21 years ago that I am not proud of, and after reading some frightening posts I was more than a little anxious for my Seward to Vancouver Alaska cruise. Short answer I was worried over nothing.

We filled out our cruise documents with our passport info. No problems. The night before we arrived in Vancouver filled out the Canada customs declaration. The next morning I was expecting a call to the principals office. Nothing. Got off the ship and was dreading a customs agents' question. Nothing. We collected our luggage. Nothing. Last stop handed the declaration form to a customs agent. Nothing. They didn't even look at my passport.

We spent a beautiful day touring Vancouver and went on our way.

Was my experience typical? I don't know, but if it's over ten years ago I wouldn't worry.