SPB tours, Best Guides, Alla etc… any difference

Is this the website for TJ Travel? Just want to make sure I have the right one.

http://st-petersburg-tours.ru/

I believe SPB Tours is spb-tours.com

And Alla?

I assume Red October is redoctober.us

Just want to make sure I have the sites everyone is talking about on these boards because there are a lot of tour and other companies with similar names.

I think I am going to contact each to see if they can do a custom 1 day tour and see what pricing they come back with.

Alla Tours : http://alla-tour.com/

TJ Travel: http://st-petersburg-tours.ru/

Red October: http://www.redoctober.ru/

Edited by dogs4fun

We went with the recommendation of our TA, who had personally used DenRus, and so far we have been extremely satisfied with what's happened, a completely personalized tour for 4 of us for 2 days, quick and complete replies to all our emails asking questions and more questions :) and to top it off a nice discount because of our CAA membership.

We too are going to use DenRus on the advise of a friend who used them 2 years ago. The other tour operators seem good also, but I started with these people and they have what I want. We are only in St Petersburg for 1 day. They have what they call a value tour and they give you much more then what the ship gives. We are going to do that. I will book tomorrow. This area is new to us, so we are a little nervous, but I am sure we will have a great experience.

We have now done 3 MED cruises where we did everything on our own and had a ball. The only thing we used a tour operator for was the Vatican. You need a tour here unless you want to wait hours and maybe not get in.

I am now going to work on the rest of the ports. I already know we will do Tallinn on our own.

I will read more here later. There is a wealth of information here from people who have been to these ports before and share their experience.

I have a friend who used Den Rus in St Petersburg and they loved them also. I have sent 2 emails to them for information and have not heard a thing. How long did it take you to get your answers???

Thanks!!!!!

I am answering my own question here. I did get answers from both my emails and they are helping me nicely. I emailed on a weekend and they were off. O well, live and learn.

As I said in my last reply, we are using DenRus.

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to pick between SPB and TJ at the moment, emailed them both this morning and had personal replies from both Olga and Viktoria within 5 minutes!!

A question though, on a few boards I have read, they talk about the lunches and the Russian food, what sort of food is it because I have seen pictures of things that are unrecognisable :eek: I want to try the local fare and feel that it's important for the whole experience....but wondered if I should pack an emergency sandwich :D

I am trying to pick between SPB and TJ at the moment, emailed them both this morning and had personal replies from both Olga and Viktoria within 5 minutes!!

A question though, on a few boards I have read, they talk about the lunches and the Russian food, what sort of food is it because I have seen pictures of things that are unrecognisable :eek: I want to try the local fare and feel that it's important for the whole experience....but wondered if I should pack an emergency sandwich :D

You can tell your guide what you are comfortable with -- they are very familiar with our likes and dislikes -- and how "native" you really want to go, and they will take you to an appropriate place.

Believe me, no need for an emergency sandwich. SPB is a big, cosmopolitan city overrun with tourists. For a quick lunch such as at the cafes at the main attractions like Catherine Palace or the Hermitage or Peterhof, most of it will look pretty similar to such places everywhere. For a local touch, the blini at the Peterhof outdoor cafe were interesting (think crepes). The pierogis (not at Peterhof), not so much.

• 3 months later...
I am answering my own question here. I did get answers from both my emails and they are helping me nicely. I emailed on a weekend and they were off.

I find that odd. I contacted SPB, Alla, and TJ on weekends and heard back from them promptly.

It never took us long getting a reply from Best Guides either. Looking back at my e-mails I just admire Kira (the manager), here patience and knowledge. I did give her a hard time I guess. I have an excuse though of taking a 10yo kid on the trip :)

Best advice is to send an email to several and ask what is on offer and how they can adapt to your needs.Your priority may be lower cost and finding tourmates to bring the overall cost down-ask how they can help

We did that. I e-mailed Alla, TJ, SPB and I Travel. In fact, we chose I Travel (http://itravelspb.com) as this was the only personalized answer we got, the others lookes very much like templates or machine-generated answers that were very similar. We never regretted the choice, our tour was just beyond and above! But I believe no matter what company you choose, St.Petersburg is the highlight of the cruise anyway.

Yellow blue vase, perhaps?

We were taught "yellow blue bus" but a smile worked better.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Am planning a Baltic in August on the Eurodam - I researched both Alla and SPbtours - I have chosen SPBtours - Alla provides a box lunch on the 1st day - there were negative comments about this on trip-advisor - it was not good and some said they ate in the van enroute to somewhere - SPBtours provides a pre-ordered sit down lunch on both days - Vikka - also donates $1 from each tour to an orpanage - many from our CC group are going with ALLA - but I decided to do what I thought was best for my DH & me. I imagine we will all be happy

Am planning a Baltic in August on the Eurodam - I researched both Alla and SPbtours ...

Hi travelnana

I as well will be visiting Saint Petersburg in June/2013 and have done a quite a bit of research for my upcoming visit. I have heard from many other cruisers that the Russian lunches are by no means the highlight of their visit, therefore I appreciate that Alla has conserved more time to touring the fountains/upper gardens by providing the box lunch (which I am sure it is more work for her and her team) and we can enjoy a sit down lunch in a restaurant on the 2nd day of our tour. I would guess you can say we get the best of both worlds! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and enjoy your cruise! :)

Dolfans from Miami

My husband and I booked a one-day private tour with TJ Travel and had perfect day, from beginning to end. I sent inquiries to three or four companies and Olga from TJ Travel was the first to respond. The other companies responded a day or two later. Based on that first impression, I chose TJ Travel. Over the next few months, as I continued to research our sightseeing options, I requested changes (mostly additions) to our itinerary, and every time (at least five or six!), Olga agreed to the changes and promptly revised our forms.

We were out from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and saw and did everything we hoped for in one day.

Driving Tour of the City, with Photo Stops

1. Nevsky Prospect: most famous street in St. Petersburg

2. National Library: one of the largest libraries in the world; oldest public library in Russia

3. Kazan Cathedral: cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia

4. Square of Arts: historic cultural center of St. Petersburg

a. Russian Museum: world’s largest museum of Russian fine arts

b. Ethnographical Museum: museum of the 150 native peoples of Russia

5. Michael’s Castle: former royal residence; now a military engineering academy

6. Summer Gardens of Peter the Great: home to fountains, marble statues, and rare plants

7. Log Cabin of Peter the Great: three-room log cabin; oldest house in St. Petersburg

8. Aurora Battleship: symbol of the Russian Revolution; now a museum

9. Spit of Basil Island: one of the most prominent architectural sights in St. Petersburg

10. State St. Petersburg University: one of the oldest and largest universities in Russia

11. Monument to Peter the Great: built by Catherine the Great as a tribute to her predecessor

12. Admiralty: former headquarters of the Russian Imperial Navy

13. Theatre Square with Famous Mariinsky Theatre: historic theatre of opera and ballet

14. St. Nicholas Cathedral: marine regimental church in the Elizabethan baroque style

15. Shopping

16. Kuznechny Market: large covered market near Vladimirsky Metro Station, in the heart of the city; numerous food stalls selling an abundance of meat, cheese, fruit, vegetables, and spices

Drive to Peterhof for Tour of “Russian Versailles

18th Century complex of palaces and gardens west of the city; UNESCO world heritage sight

• Lower Garden: designed in the style of 17th Century French gardens; very geometric
  • Upper Garden: many fountains; seven pools; less impressive than Lower Garden
  • Guided tour of Monplaisir (Peter’s preferred retreat; an intriguing mixture of grandeur and comfort) and the Bath Block (Russian bath and dining hall designed for the Russian tsars)

Lunch

Hyrdofoil Trip from Peterhof Back to the City

Subway Visit

One of the deepest and most elegant metro systems in the world; exquisite decorations and artwork

Guided Tour of Hermitage

Guided Tour of Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood

Built on the spot where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated

• Medieval Russian architecture
  • 7,500 square meters of incredibly detailed mosaics
  • A museum, not a place of worship: one of the main tourist attractions in St. Petersburg

Dinner at Terrace Restaurant

Sixth-floor outdoor restaurant with views of Kazan Cathedral and part of the St. Petersburg skyline; good people-watching opportunities; not included in tour price

Boat Ride with Vodka Tasting and Light Snacks

Along the canals of St. Petersburg (Venice of the North); $40 extra per person plus gratuities

***We also stopped at St. Isaac's and took photos, even though I hadn't officially scheduled a stop there. Our guide, Natasha, and driver, Kiril, found a way to squeeze it in!

It was the experience of a lifetime and a day we'll never forget.

Hi travelnana

I as well will be visiting Saint Petersburg in June/2013 and have done a quite a bit of research for my upcoming visit. I have heard from many other cruisers that the Russian lunches are by no means the highlight of their visit, therefore I appreciate that Alla has conserved more time to touring the fountains/upper gardens by providing the box lunch (which I am sure it is more work for her and her team) and we can enjoy a sit down lunch in a restaurant on the 2nd day of our tour. I would guess you can say we get the best of both worlds! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and enjoy your cruise! :)

Dolfans from Miami

My thoughts exactly. One of the many reasons we are going with Alla.

Hi folks, firstly let me say that we are fairly experienced travellers and did the Med last year DIY without any problems.

I would like to book either SPb or Alla for a 2 day tour but I am considering a ship tour as I don't want any aggro from the Russian security staff, someone earlier elluded to just this issue which is putting me off a private or small group tour.

Give me some confidence please.....

ps. at 280lbs to look at I am fairly intimidating myself!

Hi folks, firstly let me say that we are fairly experienced travellers and did the Med last year DIY without any problems.

I would like to book either SPb or Alla for a 2 day tour but I am considering a ship tour as I don't want any aggro from the Russian security staff, someone earlier elluded to just this issue which is putting me off a private or small group tour.

Hi buzzybuzzbuzz

I am intimidated already and I don't even know you! :eek: LOL! I am booked with Alla for her Grand Tour (www.alla-tour.com) on my upcoming visit in June and shared the same concerns as you. Alla and other experienced cruisers to SPB have reassured me that although cruise lines will try to use "scare tactics" into trying to get you to book there overpriced/overcrowded ship excursions, there is absolutely no problems in disembarking in SPB as long as you have a tour ticket with a Russian "approved" guide. The link below contains some excellent information on your concerns. I hope this helps you in addressing any issues you might have with booking a private tour in SPB! Enjoy your cruise! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1772329&highlight=scare+tactics

Hi Dolfans, thanks for the information. I had a look at the thread you suggested and as we are going with Celebrity I have no fears now. I am sure if I go to guest services the day before I will be able to collect the immgration cards.

Many thanks...great info from everyone as usual.

The Russian Immigrations will give you no problem whatsoever as long as your paperwork is in order. We traveled with Spb, and Vika runs an "on point" operation. No need to worry. Here is the hint we followed from our cruise critic members when we were in SPB: Take the elevator listed in the "daily" for disembarkation to the floor where the gangplank is located for disembarkation. By now the cruise lines know that "we know" and haven't tried anything last year, but this year, if any of them do, I am sure there will be reports of it on Cruise Critic, so you can adjust accordingly.

Just posting to confirm what you've already learned on this thread. The grief on disembarkation isn't with Russian security (I never saw any) or immigration officers - its with staff of some cruise ships who try to delay those not on ships' tours so that they end up at the back of the immigration line. Doesn't happen with most ships, and those on private tours are usually through immigration & away before the ship's groups are assembled & heading for the gangplank.

No worries

JB :)

Hi buzzybuzzbuzz

I am intimidated already and I don't even know you! :eek: LOL! I am booked with Alla for her Grand Tour (www.alla-tour.com) on my upcoming visit in June and shared the same concerns as you. Alla and other experienced cruisers to SPB have reassured me that although cruise lines will try to use "scare tactics" into trying to get you to book there overpriced/overcrowded ship excursions, there is absolutely no problems in disembarking in SPB as long as you have a tour ticket with a Russian "approved" guide. The link below contains some excellent information on your concerns. I hope this helps you in addressing any issues you might have with booking a private tour in SPB! Enjoy your cruise! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1772329&highlight=scare+tactics

Congratulations to Celebrity, they have scared another customer into paying more money for a lesser experience!

Hi travelnana

I as well will be visiting Saint Petersburg in June/2013 and have done a quite a bit of research for my upcoming visit. I have heard from many other cruisers that the Russian lunches are by no means the highlight of their visit, therefore I appreciate that Alla has conserved more time to touring the fountains/upper gardens by providing the box lunch (which I am sure it is more work for her and her team) and we can enjoy a sit down lunch in a restaurant on the 2nd day of our tour.

We had the same concerns, so requested more information.

Comparing both tours side by side, they both spend the same amount of time touring the fountains/upper gardens at Peterhof, as they do at the other attractions.

The difference is that Alla provides a box lunch to eat in transit the first day, while SPB provides a sit down lunch at a restaurant both days.

The Alla tour is faster paced and gets you back to the ship earlier by saving time with the box lunch, while the SPB tour is more leisurely paced and gets you back to the ship a little later.

You will visit the same attractions for the same amount of time either way.

It is a matter of personal preference whether you would rather eat a box lunch in transit and get back to the ship earlier, or take time for the restaurant lunch and get back later.

Both these companies get very good reviews, as do the other companies mentioned here which are also highly regarded.

From what we have found out so far, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Here is a link where you can check them all out on Tripadvisor

St. Petersburg Sightseeing Tours - TripAdvisor

Edited by varoo