Who is NOT in the auto gratuities?

NoobCruise

At our Mariner lunch on the Oosterdam, I asked the Food and Beverage Manager @ the change in the dining room. He said they would never ask the Muslim waiters to serve the drinks. They might take the order, but a "runner". usually a Christian Indonesian waiter but not a Muslim waiter, will serve the drinks. He said they would not put them in that uncomfortable situation.

Many of the Indonesian staff that we have met on our HAL cruises are from Bali, Indonesia where over 90% practice Balinese Hinduism. That's where our two stewards last week were from, as well as a few of the female wait staff in the Pinnacle.

Many of the Indonesian staff that we have met on our HAL cruises are from Bali, Indonesia where over 90% practice Balinese Hinduism. That's where our two stewards last week were from, as well as a few of the female wait staff in the Pinnacle.

Did you go ahead and order beef in the Pinnacle in spite of that? ;)

Did you go ahead and order beef in the Pinnacle in spite of that? ;)

Nope, had vegetable omelettes most of the mornings.

If I wanted to, I could have ordered beef at dinner as it was on the menu. After all, it was our vacation--not the wait staff's.

If I wanted to, I could have ordered beef at dinner as it was on the menu. After all, it was our vacation--not the wait staff's.

Besides, they hired on with the understanding that they would be serving certain meats. They chose to take the job.

Not so with liquor. That was a change in working conditions over which they had no choice.

Besides, they hired on with the understanding that they would be serving certain meats. They chose to take the job.

Not so with liquor. That was a change in working conditions over which they had no choice.

I'd be surprised if their contract is that specific. Most job descriptions have some clause about other "duties as assigned".

I distrust anything anybody ever says about the hotel service charge on Holland America. Who has the effrontery to ask HAL about service charge distribution and what makes you think any staff would know and tell you accurately? The quote below is from Holland America at: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=New+to+Cruising# (highlighting is mine) I figure that 'all' means 'all' and anyone not in the tip pool draws adequate wages or salary. I wish I had the nerve to hand the captain $20 and tell him to keep up the good work.

Is There A Hotel Service Charge?

Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

The daily Hotel Service Charge for suites is US$12.00 per guest per day, and US$11.50 per guest per day for other staterooms. (The charges are subject to change without notice)

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage. The Hotel Service Charge is paid to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15% Bar Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and Dining Room wine purchases. In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices.

I wish I had the nerve to hand the captain $20 and tell him to keep up the good work.

That would be so fun!! :D

You could think of him as a driver on your shore excursion. I always tip them for getting me somewhere safely and on time!

[quoteOn our cruise, there was a tour group of over 200 Australians and a large group of Japanese cruisers from another tour company. I did see a lot of the Australians in line as they all had their lanyards around their neck. I'm not sure if they were in line for removing their auto tips, or had immigration questions.

I've never seen a line so long at that time of night or early in the morning when I deposited our surveys.

If you are "not sure" if the "Australians" or "Japanese" were removing their auto tips, then perhaps you should refrain from commenting on just those two nationalities. I'm certain that line was made up of "many" nationalities from all over the world. Perhaps you should also keep in mind that no nationality is immune from removing auto tips and IMO your post is offensive.

Please re-read my post. No where did I mention that there were any Japanese in the long line. I did see MANY Australians with their blue lanyards in line and overheard a conversation with a group of them asking if they could lower the autotip amount. I was in line to get some change and submit our surveys, but gave up after 10 minutes as the line wasn't moving.

Again I repeat, I'm not sure all of the people in line were removing autotips, getting change or had immigration questions. IMO, your reply was just as offensive as I never mentioned that there were any Japanese in the long line. I only mentioned this after Lisa made posted the fact that there was a long line on the Zuiderdam the day before.

I only posted what I saw and heard. Were you there?

I don't think your concern is justified. If they are uncomfortable about being around alcohol, to the extent of even carrying a glass, they are working the wrong job. This is their choice. Arent' the bartenders also Indonesian? You don't know if they are Muslim and you don't know if they strictly practice whatever they practice. Stop feeling guilty!

As has been stated, the Bar Staff are from the Philippines and are mostly Roman Catholic (about 85% of all Filipinos are RC) and another sizable proportion of them are Protestant (about a million in the country are Methodists or Methodist-related).

That being said, I don't have a problem asking the Indonesian Stewards to serve pork, or the Balinese to serve beef. True, most of the male Indonesian Stewards are Muslim and all of the female Indonesian Stewards are from Bali,but they (1) have decided to make their living this way, and (2) are not being asked to eat it ... or even touch it. Just the plate. Therefore, if they don't have a problem doing it, neither do I.

I feel more sorry for the Indonesian-Muslims when they are required to work all day long and abstain from any kind of food during Ramadan. Here they are, serving food all throughout the day, but are not allowed to eat anything at all during the daylight hours. Again, I said I feel sorry for them; I didn't say I feel guilty about it. And, again, they've made the decision to join their union and work in this industry.

At our Mariner lunch on the Oosterdam' date=' I asked the Food and Beverage Manager @ the change in the dining room. He said they would never ask the Muslim waiters to serve the drinks. They might take the order, but a "runner". usually a Christian Indonesian waiter but not a Muslim waiter, will serve the drinks. He said they would not put them in that uncomfortable situation.[/quote']

Ok, that's an interesting note. On my recently completed cruise I ordered my wine by the bottle, rather than the glass, but one of my table mates had a glass of wine one evening and I noticed that our steward brought her her glass of wine. Of course, our steward was from Bali, so that may have been why he delivered it.

The ONLY folks you NEED to tip are the stateroom attendant, and your waitstaff, as recommended. Bartabs have tip added in...you can give more, if you feel like it...there's a place to add more to the tab.

Room service delivery isn't included in the tips, so if you use that service, tip at time of delivery. If the concierge does something really special, a small tip is nice....not needed, but nice!

You do NOT tip the front desk staff, or Maintenance Dept or anyone else! It's simply not needed or suggested! Those folks are on SALARY...they are not "tipped" employees!

Room service IS included in the hotel service charge.

However.....we always choose to give them a couple of dollars upon delivery.

I wish I had the nerve to hand the captain $20 and tell him to keep up the good work.

Oh, man! I do! I wish I had thought of that. But I would only do it if I reasonably feel certain he got the joke. He wouldn't have to think it was funny as long as he got it. I can make another joke if he got it but didn't laugh...heck, at least I would be amused.

Archived