Italian churches dress code clarification please

bhoffman

Hello! We will be on the Epic in July visiting various cities and churches including the Vatican. Am I understanding that my husband and 9year old son will not be able to wear shorts touring on days we are visiting any churches? I know it is going to be quite warm and can't think of what to put my son in while touring if this is the case. Im actually also concerned about the just over the knee sundresses i am planning on wearing those days. Thanks for the info!

If you want to see the Vatican, wear capris or a skirt that goes below your knees, plus your shoulders will have to be covered as well. For the males in your family, buy them each a pair of zipoff pants.

The photo that Arusha kindly posted is explicit as to what is acceptable. Yes, it's hot in Rome in July, but the Vatican dress code is strictly enforced.

If you'd rather not comply with the clothing expectation, there are many non-religious sites you can visit in shorts and short skirts/tank tops.

In hot weather where long pants ae required for some places, I wear cargo pants. The legs zip off a little above the knees. When we are allowed to wear shorts I am fine. When long pants are required, I just slide on the bottom of the legs and zip them to the top. They go on over my sneakers.

You mentioned you have a "sundress" you are planning on wearing. Do you plan on having something to cover your shoulders?

Yes, I wouldn't go to a church without something on my shoulders even if it wasn't a "rule".

Archived