Dam games for Dam Dollars?

I was on a team that played Broadway musical triva on Westerdam, and our team won pins. I didn't look at them too closely, but they were kind of big and clunky looking. We all laughed and turned them down. At least a key chain could be useful. A ship's pin??? I guess I'm just not a collector.

I received a pin last year on the Volendam 1 week inside passage cruise from the Techspert for being the first one to stitch together a panorama from individual photos. It looks like the bottom pin that bcd2010 posted: about 2 inches long with "Volendam" engraved into in (white paint, blue background) and the hal logo in a circle on top.

I keep it on the strap of my camera bag. I think it is too heavy for a shirt. It makes a nice memento of our first HAL cruise....and I have some stunning photos but don't know how to post them here. I have sent some to IRL Joanie as her cruise on Zuiderdam last year was just a few weeks after mine.

Every now and then we see someone on the ship wearing a Passport to Fitness T shirt.

People really loved that program and some still speak of how much they miss it.

Cruise staff is not like it used to be and there aren't the people to run all the games like there used to be. Cruise Director staff's is reconfigured and now there is party planner and event whatever. I miss all those cute young folks in their khaki shorts and shirts running all the games.

I know what you mean. The cruise staff on several cruises that I have been on would be at the doorway at the end of the shows, and you could talk to them. The staff now just run the event and race off to whatever else they are supposed to be doing. The staff now, such as the party planner, etc. don't seem to be as approachable as the cruise staff used to be.

I did receive some pins in 2011 on the Veendam for participating in the games, only the top scorers got actual prizes. On this recent April cruise on the Veendam, no prizes were given out for 6:00pm pub trivia - the winning team was given a free drink each. There were also fewer games this year on the Veendam. Some of the passengers organized their own games each day in the atrium. I always enjoyed the "dam dollar" events - it really brought out lots of people to the activities. It made the cruise experience a friendlier one.

I have not sailed HAL nearly as long as you, since 2000, but I also feel that there used to be more activities, and more staff conducting them. Still don't get the Party Planner thing ... seems like a poor choice of job titles unless that person indeed is planning parties onboard.

The Party Planner met with us & planned our ROV on board the Noordam last year..She set up an album for us, however some things were not completely explained to us..Such as we should have made an appointment with the Photographers to have a portrait done of us prior to our ROV, that would have been included in the beautiful HAL album...The only pic we have in the album is the one with the Captain just after he did our ROV & I'm crying my eyes out! :o LOL

In addition, we have an unusual Dutch last name with an "ou" in it..The certificate in the album read "au" instead of "ou"..But in the letter from the Capt. our name was spelled correctly with an "ou"...I probably should have asked to have it re-done, but didn't want to make waves as the ROV was so special for us & we only received the album a couple of days before disembarcation..

Cheers...:)Betty

I don't know how to post pictures here, but am glad someone was able to. We also got the Orange Surfboard, plus the Double Funnel horizontal, the Double Funnel vertical, and a Rotterdam, on our January Rotterdam cruise and a Single Funnel on the Veendam, last summer. I stuck them on our tote bag. The surfboard is the heaviest. They are fun to trade, if you are interested in collecting them.

We were on the Prinsendam's Grand South America & Antarctic Voyage - Jan 4 to March 12, 2012 and they used Dam Dollars instead of the 'usual' prizes. IMO these worked out well, as you saved them until the next to the last day of the cruise and then you choose items from a selection of gifts. The better the gift the more Dam Dollars were needed. Cunard has a similar system.

It is my understanding that HAL use the Dam Dollars system on their Grand Voyages and World Cruises.

Every now and then we see someone on the ship wearing a Passport to Fitness T shirt.

People really loved that program and some still speak of how much they miss it.

Loved the sit to be fit and relaxation sessions at which people fell asleep and snored loudly..;)

Archived