Movies on Princess Cruises

mtclimbermom

Hi, I am a first time cruiser and new to this site, but am learning a lot from all of you. I have not found this particular answer. Sorry if I am duplicating another thread. My family is taking our very first cruise this summer. One of the things I have been wondering is how current the movies actually are. Thanks for your help!

We were just on the Star mid May, they were The Help, War Horse, We Bought a Zoo, The Vow, and a bunch of others. I thought they had an excellent selection of in room, MUTS, and in the Princess Theater movies.

They get the DVD's a little sooner

then they come out for the public

to buy.

They keep them for months because

they have to pay "big bucks" to take

out the writing that says about using

the DVD for other purposes.

(you know what I mean)

We were just on the Star mid May, they were The Help, War Horse, We Bought a Zoo, The Vow, and a bunch of others. I thought they had an excellent selection of in room, MUTS, and in the Princess Theater movies.

I got to see The Help for the first time on a cruise ship. It was shown in the main theater where the production shows are done and it was filled to capacity.

It was a diverse crowd and there was silence the whole time. When the movie was over people of all races stood and clapped. It was a special experience!

They get the DVD's a little sooner

then they come out for the public

to buy.

They keep them for months because

they have to pay "big bucks" to take

out the writing that says about using

the DVD for other purposes.

(you know what I mean)

Individual video discs are not used on board--too much risk of them getting "lost". The Cruise Director explained this to our group on the Ultimate Ship's Tour on Star Princess last year. About a week before the movies and TV programs are due to be changed over, a hard drive containing the new videos is delivered by a courier to the ship. The tech team installs it on the one computer that controlls what you see on your cabin TV, on MUTS, and the movies screened in Princess Theatre or Vista Lounge. On the day of changeover an envelope containing the password for the new hard drive is delivered. Enter the password and everythng is automatic from there, until this is repeated 3 or 4 weeks later.

Individual video discs are not used on board--too much risk of them getting "lost". The Cruise Director explained this to our group on the Ultimate Ship's Tour on Star Princess last year. About a week before the movies and TV programs are due to be changed over, a hard drive containing the new videos is delivered by a courier to the ship. The tech team installs it on the one computer that controlls what you see on your cabin TV, on MUTS, and the movies screened in Princess Theatre or Vista Lounge. On the day of changeover an envelope containing the password for the new hard drive is delivered. Enter the password and everythng is automatic from there, until this is repeated 3 or 4 weeks later.

It seems like an overkill for most of the movies they show since most of them are already released to DVD by the time Princess shows them. We normally bring our own movies with us & the last trip I think I had a better selection than what they presented, except for only 2 of them which had not hit the DVD market yet.

I trust the Mission: Impossible theme song is playing during all this?

Actually, it's "My Week with Marilyn." :D

I was thinking that, too:)

"My Week with Marilyn" is a great example of the kind of movie one often sees on Princess: really good, but one you might have missed seeing, so far.

It is great, too, that movies are available in a number of venues, at different times: Princess Theater, Explorer's Lounge, MUTS, and cabin TV. Read the daily Princess Patter, for the showtimes in the large venues.

Enjoy, and see you at the movies!

Archived