Condition of Explorer of the Seas

I am writing in to see if anyone can tell me how the EOS condition is. I have read some of the threads that would leave me to believe its pretty worn. I have never been on a RCI ship that needed attention and was just wondering. I am booked in a Junior Suite aft 1694. Any info appreciated thanks.

I agree with your post. I've not been on the Explorer and I've heard some unsettling reviews/remarks. Worn and dated is one thing, which I can easily overlook. Stained and dirty is another. My roll call mates (most of whom have sailed the Ex) keep reassuring me. And as soon as I relax I read something on the main RCI boards which gets me concerned.

**NOTE TO SELF: STOP READING MAIN RCI BOARDS**

I am writing in to see if anyone can tell me how the EOS condition is. I have read some of the threads that would leave me to believe its pretty worn. I have never been on a RCI ship that needed attention and was just wondering. I am booked in a Junior Suite aft 1694. Any info appreciated thanks.

Am on the ship now, other then normal wear the ship looks great!

Great staff, food very good.

Was on her in April. She is still beautiful (small rust and scuffs if you really really look hard). That being said...food was wonderful, staff is amazing, entertainment was good. I had absolutely NO complaints!!!!

She is still Beautiful!! Various nicks and some carpet stain, but nothing that would keep me from sailing her. Absolutely the nicest staff except for some at Guest Relations, but haven't found them to be too friendly fleetwide... Have spent 5 nights to eleven nights at a time and never tire of what she has to offer! Now, if we could just get her to Baltimore but don't think she will fit under the bridges... :-(

We are on the ship right now heading back to Bayonne. :(

Ship is in good condition, crew is excellent, and food is good. Had a wonderful 9 nights and looking forward to our next cruise. No complaints here.

Besides.............any day on a ship is better than a day at work!

We sailed on her in April and echo the same comments posted above. If a worn carpet and a scruff on a piece of furniture bother you don't book. If a great crew a very personable captain and a terrific cruise director makes a difference book it now.

We just disembarked on 5/19/12 and we didn't see anything that bothered us and we are fussy!

Great ship and staff. We loved it enough that we booked again while onboard.

Relax and enjoy your cruise!

She is still Beautiful!! Various nicks and some carpet stain, but nothing that would keep me from sailing her. Absolutely the nicest staff except for some at Guest Relations, but haven't found them to be too friendly fleetwide... Have spent 5 nights to eleven nights at a time and never tire of what she has to offer! Now, if we could just get her to Baltimore but don't think she will fit under the bridges... :-(

Explorer could never make it into Baltimore. Being from Virginia what would be wrong with Explorer being in Norfolk, Va. No bridge problems here. :D

We were on the 5/19 sailing, and my parents were in cabin 1694. I didn't spend too much time there, but I say no issues - the cabin is great! We liked it so much that my DH and I booked it for next year!

You will love it!

We have been on the Explorer and know why some people, that are spoiled over a ship that does nothing but the Caribbean would be in tip top shape, compared to one that has to come out of the ice and snow in the winter, to have everything melt, and than have the sun hit the ship.....and then have the continuation of the combination of hot and cold, is going to leave more rust in places where you would least expect to find it.

However, the rust is not out of control, and other than that fact that the ship suffers more climate changes than any other in the fleet.......it's in great shape!

You will find us back aboard after I retire!!:D

Rick

Am on the ship now, other then normal wear the ship looks great!

Great staff, food very good.

Folks.....Please have no worries and listen to Red Devil!!!!!!! We were on our fourth EOS cruise this past February and the ship is continuously being cleaned and polished to the nines. It is amazing with 3000 pax each cruise and so many years in service that she still sparkles. The crew is outstanding and must have tremedous pride in their jobs keeping her always so perfectly inviting and spotless. Yes, wear and tear but what is wrong with a little age? We all have to go there someday and it's the way we take the ride that counts. WE love the Explorer of Seas but are now so sad RCCI has shortend her Caribbean runs for 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No worries Mates !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night we were out with friends that just wrapped up their 3rd cruise on Ex. They had a great time and although it did not hamper their vacation...they said the ship is worn, tired, and needs a makeover.

11 times......is that good enough!!??:D

If i didn't think EX was awesome....i wouldn't keep booking!!

EVERY ship, on EVERY line, will show wear and tear...and EX, being a Jersey Girl like me...has to deal with the hot, cold, snow and salt water....... you'd look a little tired sometimes!!

that said, the crew really works hard to keep her ship shape!!! and the only reason i am not sailing EX any time soon is that, well, the prices are better elsewhere...soooo if anyone wants to NOT book due to a PERCEIVED issue with wear, tear, rust, etc...go ahead...maybe the rates will drop and i can book!!!:p

We're just off Explorer this morning. Yes, she is a relatively older ship, and there are signs of normal wear and tear especially in the cabins, but nothing at all that would be considered a turn-off. It could use a bit of a sprucing up, but everything is clean and well-maintained. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again and again. The crew is great, the entertainment is great, and we had the most awesome time these past 10 days on her!!!

A lot of people are mentioning weather, but that affects outer areas; my complaints are about the dated cabin finishes. Some of them are worse than others; it's the luck of the draw. I was in a GS 2 summers ago that looked newly refurbished so I assumed other cabins would be in line for updating, but I was wrong. On our last cruise, our rooms were very dated looking.

This won't ruin your time onboard, as long as you know going in that you will probably not get an updated room. The problem is, Ex charges a premium, esp during the summer, and it makes it harder for me to overlook the old fabrics and carpet. If I can get a really good price on Ex, I don't mind going, but I wouldn't pay top dollar.

... so next time I stumble across a negative review I can balance it out by reading this one!!

I honestly advise you to STOP reading the reviews. Once I did that, I relaxed about my trip. The negative reviews will make you crazy and raise your blood pressure. They add nothing to what should be an exciting time waiting for your cruise.

Seriously, I hope you heed my advice and do not read any more reviews.:o

As said, it's a beautiful ship with a great crew! We had a balcony cabin on deck 8 in Nov., and again this coming Oct. There were stains on the rug and stains on the couch. The toilet seat was also stained. Yes, it did bother me some. If they could keep the Public rooms in tip tip shape, I think they can replace a stained toilet seat! I don't mind the rust on the balcony or cracked paint on the exterior. I put a beach towel over the couch. It took care of the stains there. If I felt the ship was dirty, then yes, I wouldn't cruise on her again, but the ship seemed very tidy!

I have come to the conclusion after reading a lot of these negative reviews about the EOS that people who take 3 or 4 cruises within the last few years on RCI ships suddenly become "cruise experts", but they have nothing else to compare it against, especially against ships built before the Explorer was launched.

DW, DD1, DD2 both in their 20;s and I have been on the EOS twice within the past year. Both times we have enjoyed the atmosphere and the clean environment of the ship. We were on for a total of 20 sailing nights. There is nothing offputting about this ship. A ship is a machine that is in a constant state of repair, The crew does an excellent job of that.

People complain about some stains on the carpet in some areas. My question is when would you like them to shampoo those carpets that would not be an inconvenience to somebody. No this ship is in remarkably good shape. If not having a flat screen TV in your cabin is going to ruin it for you then you should reexamine your expectations because for what you get for what you pay you are getting a tremendous value.

Enjoy your future cruise with no worries.

We were recently on the Explorer in March and will be on her again in September to Bermuda. As everyone else has said, some minor wear and tear, but really not noticeable unless you are really digging with a magnifying glass. My opinion is that most people of the people who get very dramatic about its condition probably complain about almost everything in life in general. I wonder the condition of their own home and the quality of the food they cook. I bet in some cases it's worse that the ship, but they make it sound like the ship is just about ready to fall apart. RCCL has those employees painting, scraping rust, replacing and cleaning carpets all the time.

You will be fine with nothing to worry about.

Is the Explorer due for drydock? If it is going to drydock, when?

According to the Loyalty ambassador on our 5/19 cruise, late 2014 is her next dry dock. But he also indicated that she would be replaced at that time by a sunshine class ship... I will believe it when I see it. :rolleyes:

Archived