travelling from Orlando to PC

molsonschooner

We plan on crusing out of Port Canaveral for the first time. Will probably fly into Orlando. Should we stay in Orlando overnight then travel to the port in the morning or get a room closer to the port. What hotels in either area would you recommend? What about transportation? Are there good shuttles from the airport to PC or should we take a limo?

We plan on crusing out of Port Canaveral for the first time. Will probably fly into Orlando. Should we stay in Orlando overnight then travel to the port in the morning or get a room closer to the port. What hotels in either area would you recommend? What about transportation? Are there good shuttles from the airport to PC or should we take a limo?

Since you're coming in the night before, consider using a one-way car rental. There are several rental companies (Avis, Hertz, Budget, etc.) that have offices near the port. They will shuttle you to the port for free when you return the car.

We've done both. If your flight gets in fairly late, I'd stay near MCO (great deals via Priceline/Hotwire) and travel over in a.m. One-way car rental is the way to go, if you get a hotel with a hotel shuttle, you can really cut down your rental cost by renting that morning and returning later that morning, we've done it for $40 ish + gas. That's way cheaper than a limo or shuttle. We did do a limo once with another family as a special treat (party of 8 in total).

If you fly in earlier, it's worth a trip/night in Cocoa Beach. Ron John's Surf Shop is fun to visit and there are good places to eat in the area too. I would shop around for your best deal and do whatever seems to make the most sense for you! Have fun!

Since our flight is getting in at 4:00 the day before, we are staying at the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport because we won't have a car. Just preferred to settle in instead of transferring to port canaveral that day. Many stay at the port. County inn and suites, radisson, etc which offer shuttles to the Port. We are staying at the Hyatt and using Quicksilver Tours round trip between Orlando and Port Canaveral. It is $210 plus gratuity.

Karyn

We rented a one way rental through Avis. I think it was around $40 each way and was definitely the way to go for us. We were able to stop and get supplies along the way, drive around, etc. We have stayed at the Radisson and Sheraton Four Points in Cocoa Beach the night before, but all the hotels are relatively close by. I LOVE waking up and seeing the ship from my window. Personally, I prefer to drive to the port so I know in the morning no issues that could delay me to miss the ship! But, that is just my preference.

The car rental agencies are wonderful in Cocoa. They don't wait to fill up, etc. It's only about a 5 minute drive from their office to the port. When we got off the ship they were there waiting to take us back with our car ready to go!

Either way you choose, enjoy your cruise!

We always use a limo. As we always stay in Orlando before our cruise, the limo picks us up around 9.30am and we're at PC for 11am. We then usually have the limo at the port for 8.30am for the return journey.

We stayed in the grand hyatt in the actual airport. It was so convenient. We organized our transfer through RC so just went down stairs and got in the bus that morning and it brought us straight to the ship. Completely hassle free. Would definitely do this again if going through PC! Hth ;)

Since our flight is getting in at 4:00 the day before, we are staying at the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport because we won't have a car. Just preferred to settle in instead of transferring to port canaveral that day. Many stay at the port. County inn and suites, radisson, etc which offer shuttles to the Port. We are staying at the Hyatt and using Quicksilver Tours round trip between Orlando and Port Canaveral. It is $210 plus gratuity.

Karyn

To my mind $210 (plus gratuity) is a lot to pay for transfers when two one-way rentals would be considerably cheaper, and while some hotels in the Orlando area are very reasonable, I'm not sure that the Hyatt at the Airport would be included in that category, there are several similarly inexpensive, good hotels in the PC area. If you were arriving in MCO late in the evening I would agree with your thinking, but a 4 pm arrival would put you into PC and settled in your hotel by 5:30 -6:00 pm tops.

Since you're coming in the night before, consider using a one-way car rental. There are several rental companies (Avis, Hertz, Budget, etc.) that have offices near the port. They will shuttle you to the port for free when you return the car.

Have to agree with this. It's an easy drive and then you have the ability to do things on your own.

We always stay at the Radisson in Cape Canaveral.

After the cruise, we usually rent a private carto return to Orlando

enjoy your cruise!:D

Ahoy molsonschooner.....

If you decide on a car rental from Orlando airport to the port, you might consider Hertz car rental. To drop off your car, the Port Canaveral office is right in front of the Residence Inn or the Country Inn & suites. The car rental office will provide free shuttles to and from the port. The route from the airport to the hotels and the Port is a straight run on SR528. The airport is about 45 miles from Port Canaveral and the hotels.

As far as hotels, you might want to do a Cape Canaveral, Port Canaveral, or Cocoa Beach search for hotels in the area via TripAdvisor web site. . The three mentioned areas are basically all in one the same area.

We can vouch for the Residence Inn in Cape Canaveral. They offer a fine hot free breakfast. They offer 2 bedroom suites for families if needed. Shuttle service to and from the Residence Inn to the port is $6 round trip per person.

Hope this helps you..

Dorothy

Sunshine State..

Residence Inn is our preferred hotel in Cape Canaveral.

A New York Pizza House (diagonally opposite from Ron Jon's) is our favorite place to eat in Cocoa Beach.

I agree with all those who said that a one-way car rental is the best way to get from MCO to the port. We usually use Budget or Avis - google for discount coupon codes.

We always use a limo. As we always stay in Orlando before our cruise, the limo picks us up around 9.30am and we're at PC for 11am. We then usually have the limo at the port for 8.30am for the return journey.

How much does a limo from Orlando to Port Canaveral cost?

We rented a car and stayed at the Comfort Inn next to Ron Jon's. Nice hotel, free breakfast, they also have a port shuttle. Used the car that evening to watch ships leave the port and to tour the area. Dropped off the car in the a.m. and they took us to the pier. Convenient, easy to do.

R&D

Here's another vote for the Residence Inn. It's on the water and you can see the cruise port from the hotel. Free hot breakfast, great location & great reviews at http:http://www.tripadvisor.com To see the location of the various hotels, you can go to this website: http://www.pre-cruisehotels.com/

We rented car and dropped it off the next morning. The rental car agencies have free shuttles to the ship. And, we can also highly recommended eating at Fish Lips. Cape Canaveral is one of our favorite ports ... have fun!

Here's another vote for the Residence Inn. It's on the water and you can see the cruise port from the hotel. Free hot breakfast, great location & great reviews at http:www.tripadvisor.com To see the location of the various hotels, you can go to this website: http://www.pre-cruisehotels.com/

We rented car and dropped it off the next morning. The rental car agencies have free shuttles to the ship. And, we can also highly recommended eating at Fish Lips. Cape Canaveral is one of our favorite ports ... have fun!

Are you sure you are talking about Port Canaveral? The Residence Inn is not on the water, unless there is a new one. You can see the ships in the distance though.

We have stayed at the Residence Inn twice and would recommend it. We usually rent from Hertz, which is located directly in front of the hotel. We drop the car off in the morning and take the rental car shuttle to the port. Very easy.

Are you sure you are talking about Port Canaveral? The Residence Inn is not on the water, unless there is a new one. You can see the ships in the distance though.

We have stayed at the Residence Inn twice and would recommend it. We usually rent from Hertz, which is located directly in front of the hotel. We drop the car off in the morning and take the rental car shuttle to the port. Very easy.

I shouldn't have said "it's on the water." It's at the water's edge. Close to the water? I'll admit that we didn't walk to the back of the hotel but we did see the cruise ship from the hotel. The water seemed to me to be a stone's throw?

I shouldn't have said "it's on the water." It's at the water's edge. Close to the water? I'll admit that we didn't walk to the back of the hotel but we did see the cruise ship from the hotel. The water seemed to me to be a stone's throw?

Only if you can throw a stone like superman.;)

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/travel/mlbri-residence-inn-cape-canaveral-cocoa-beach/

The website says that the Cocoa Beach Pier 2.4 miles and that the Port Canaveral Port is 1500 yards. http://www.hotels.com/ho235530/residence-inn-by-marriott-cape-canaveral-cocoa-beach-cape-canaveral-united-states/#maps

Correct and that translates to 0.85 miles away.

I am not trying to argue with you but someone posted a long thread a while back because they thought the Residence Inn is on the water, it isn't. They said the hotel misrepresented itself by saying it was within sight of the port. It is close to the port and to the beach but not on the water.

Correct and that translates to 0.85 miles away.

I am not trying to argue with you but someone posted a long thread a while back because they thought the Residence Inn is on the water, it isn't. They said the hotel misrepresented itself by saying it was within sight of the port. It is close to the port and to the beach but not on the water.

Yes, I agree.

If we had read that it was "on the water" when it involved a family vacation thinking that the children could walk to the beach, we would have been upset.

I misspoke and really didn't think through my post. We loved being that close to the water and to the cruise terminal. My husband was stationed in Cocoa Beach as a young Naval officer. We drove around and actually found the house he rented. Family from Sarasota joined us the next day ... this cruise was on the Mariner when it sailed out of that port. Everything about that particular trip was just perfect!

To my mind $210 (plus gratuity) is a lot to pay for transfers when two one-way rentals would be considerably cheaper, and while some hotels in the Orlando area are very reasonable, I'm not sure that the Hyatt at the Airport would be included in that category, there are several similarly inexpensive, good hotels in the PC area. If you were arriving in MCO late in the evening I would agree with your thinking, but a 4 pm arrival would put you into PC and settled in your hotel by 5:30 -6:00 pm tops.

Military room rate at Hyatt is $97. Don't want the hassle of picking up a car, dropping it and then using a shuttle. Our return flight is 12:30pm. Our port pick up is at 9:00am I think. This is a 20th anniversary trip and want it easy. We do to Disney often and always use their transportation.

I appreciate your feedback.

Karyn

We are paying for our limo ride $110., including the tip from Orlando to Raddison for party of 3.

We booked thru our travel agent last Sept.

It is the third time we are using them.

Safe travels.

Archived