Another IPAD question

Poulsbo Cruisers

There was a thread a couple weeks back on using an IPAD on board. I am leaving tomorrow for our cruise on the Crown and need some more clarification so please bear with me.

When I am connected to WiFi on the ship, it is more than just my web browser that uses the Internet. When I log out of the Internet how do I assure that I am still not using minutes? Do I go into my settings and disconnect the device from the WiFi? Will this stop the minutes from accruing?

To log out there is either a logout button or you can type 1.1.1.1. Either way you will get a log out page that tells you how many minutes you used and how many you have left.

All computers have wireless that is constantly searching for a wireless connection. You have to log in to Princess to get in and log out to get out. Just because your iPad detects a signal does not mean you logged in.

But I have had times where the logout screen doesn't show up. I usually log back in and out and make sure I see that screen.

On a recent cruise on the Emerald, logout required entering logoff.com or logout.com (I can't remember which) into your browser's address bar. The 1.1.1.1 was no longer being used.

Lew

It's logout.com, but....

I had a couple of times recently (Emerald) when I tried to check my email in the morning before a tour and after logging in, the system told me I was not connected to he internet. When I checked to make sure I couldn't access anything, I was actually still connected. That's when I disabled the auto-join (auto-login? auto-something!) and got in the habit of using "Forget this network" in addition to using logout.com.

On a recent cruise on the Emerald, logout required entering logoff.com or logout.com (I can't remember which) into your browser's address bar. The 1.1.1.1 was no longer being used.

logout.com sets up an address of 1.1.1.1 so you can use either

The iPad could do all kinds of connections in the background after you stop browsing. I would still log out from the princess WiFi but then got to Settings and set the pad to Airplane mode. This both cuts you off from any networks but also stops the iPad from looking for a connection. This greatly extends your battery life.

I have not used but check with Princess to see they log you out after a period of inactivity. The connection would not show as inactive to them if the iPad is doing such background things as location or time checks or even checking for email. I have my iPad checking for email each half hour. If Princess only logs you out after an hour of inactivity, you could burn you precious time since Princess would not see it as inactive.

Hope this help. Looking to use my iPad to back up the SD card from camera each night.

The iPad could do all kinds of connections in the background after you stop browsing. I would still log out from the princess WiFi but then got to Settings and set the pad to Airplane mode. This both cuts you off from any networks but also stops the iPad from looking for a connection. This greatly extends your battery life.

I have not used but check with Princess to see they log you out after a period of inactivity. The connection would not show as inactive to them if the iPad is doing such background things as location or time checks or even checking for email. I have my iPad checking for email each half hour. If Princess only logs you out after an hour of inactivity, you could burn you precious time since Princess would not see it as inactive.

Hope this help. Looking to use my iPad to back up the SD card from camera each night.

I agree with disconnecting from the WiFi in addition to logging out. I found a couple of apps that use WiFi to update don't work offline unless you disconnect.

When you connect to wifi you'll get a web page with a logout button on it. As long as you don't close that page you can easily logout and as others have said, it gives you confirmation with the statistics of your usage.

Thank you. Good idea!

Not exactly the same discussion but it is a question about IPAD so here goes: Can we connect the IPAD to the TV screen in the cabin to watch our movies (purchased from I-Tunes) on the bigger screen?

On our last cruise, the first night, I didn't log off correctly and my iPad was still connected and I didn't know it. It stopped after about 180 minutes, so I lost my free minutes, plus had to pay for about 30 minutes over. The computer person reinstated my free minutes, but I had to pay for the 30 minutes that I went over. You can bet that after that I double checked every time I logged off and also went into airplane mode.

Turn OFF the Auto Join and you will not have any problem signing on or off. Just remember to use logout.com. Our iPads worked perfectly on the Star no matter where we were. Have fun.

Cheers, Denise

There was a thread a couple weeks back on using an IPAD on board. I am leaving tomorrow for our cruise on the Crown and need some more clarification so please bear with me.

When I am connected to WiFi on the ship, it is more than just my web browser that uses the Internet. When I log out of the Internet how do I assure that I am still not using minutes? Do I go into my settings and disconnect the device from the WiFi? Will this stop the minutes from accruing?

If you don't have any activity for 10 min you'll be automatically logged off. Make sure all your WiFi and cellphone(if equipped) are turned off . Otherwise you could end up with very large cell phone bill.

I just got an ipod touch that I'm planning on taking on our next cruise in July. This is my first apple product so this is all new to me. In the past, I have used the ship's computers and there it is very easy to know that you have logged out. Is it just as obvious on the ipod?

I like the idea of turning on the airplane mode. That I know I can do!

If I simply turn the ipod off completely, will I then be logged off the internet? Or will my minutes keep adding up?

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks for your help, Lise

Hello...This is what the IT person in the Internet Cafe said to do..but I took my iPad down to them to make sure all the settings were correct. Loved using the iPad on our cruise and also had the camera attachment to upload photos to the iPad, worked perfect. Have fun on your cruise. By the way when I used FaceTime I did get a charge on my phone bill as we were apparently using the ships service..ouch!

If you don't have any activity for 10 min you'll be automatically logged off. Make sure all your WiFi and cellphone(if equipped) are turned off . Otherwise you could end up with very large cell phone bill.

You need to be sure you have data roaming turned off because once you disconnect from wifi that is what will keep trying to retrieve data. Also set your data to "push notification" manually.

I have an iPad and will speak to that. I believe the iPod touch is same, but can not be sure.

'Turned off' can be misunderstood by new users. If I push the single black button on the EDGE of my iPad, the screen goes dark but the iPad is ONLY on stand-by. In this state your pad can still connect to WiFi to check for email, give location information and any other function any app you have which want to trickle a bit of data in the background. Stand-by is NOT off.

To move an iPad to off, you HOLD the black edge button a few seconds and swipe the red slider on the screen. This closes off the OS and will give you the longest battery life, but it will take a long time to reboot the pad back from it OFF state.

I feel a far better solution is to go to settings and switch to AIRPLANE mode. This stops the iPad from transmitting by cell or WiFi. (I think it closes off Bluetooth too, but memory fails me now.). Then you can just go to stand-by and get back to using the pod when you want to.

Assuming you're talking about an iPad and the ship's WiFi, it differs from what I was told in the internet cafe a couple of weeks ago. You have to use logout.com or use one of the other methods to stop your iPad from using the ship's internet....otherwise, you're burning minutes.

On my last two cruises the disconnect button nor the 1.1.1.1 did not always seem to work for a full disconnect on my I Pad. I always turned on airplane mode and that did a proper disconnect. DH does not have an I Pad but used his I Touch for emails and games. He also had to turn on airplane mode to disconnect. It was funny as we had some difficulties connecting to Internet from our cabin. I was able to get on about 80 percent of the time. DH had to stand in doorway with door open to connect. Mentioned this to the IT person who put in a work order. Within a day and half we had full service available in cabin. Seems like sometimes the sensors/transmitters get dirty and once the ones in our area where looked at we had no problems. I mention this only in case someone has the same issues we did....no sense being frustrated when there is a simple fix if you report it.

I feel a far better solution is to go to settings and switch to AIRPLANE mode. This stops the iPad from transmitting by cell or WiFi. (I think it closes off Bluetooth too, but memory fails me now.). Then you can just go to stand-by and get back to using the pod when you want to.

Another poster above said that a user is logged off after ten minutes of inactivity, so the solution of going in to Airplane Mode might waste up to ten minutes but would prevent one from inadvertently burning through all their minutes.

So it seems best practice is to use the 1.1.1.1 to log-off, second best is to place the iOS device in Airplane Mode.

BTW, Airplane Mode on any iOS device turns off all the radios. When we travel we put our iOS devices in Airplane Mode but then turn WiFi back on to take advantage of free or low-cost WiFi on the ship or in ports.

Also, once in Airplane Mode -- one can continue to use the iOS device for games, audiobooks, Kindle books -- whatever.

Another poster above said that a user is logged off after ten minutes of inactivity, so the solution of going in to Airplane Mode might waste up to ten minutes but would prevent one from inadvertently burning through all their minutes.

So it seems best practice is to use the 1.1.1.1 to log-off, second best is to place the iOS device in Airplane Mode.

BTW, Airplane Mode on any iOS device turns off all the radios. When we travel we put our iOS devices in Airplane Mode but then turn WiFi back on to take advantage of free or low-cost WiFi on the ship or in ports.

Also, once in Airplane Mode -- one can continue to use the iOS device for games, audiobooks, Kindle books -- whatever.

Putting it in airport mode disconnects the wifi but it can be turned back on in this mode so I am not sure if it is protection against push notifications or automatic Internet reconnection in this mode?

If you turn wifi back on in airport mode it is NOT free wifi.

Most devices that have airplane can't automatically turn on WiFi.

You have to manual turn WiFi or turn off Airplane mode before WiFi work.

If software requires WiFi or internet it should warn you that it can't make a internet connection.

Putting it in airport mode disconnects the wifi but it can be turned back on in this mode so I am not sure if it is protection against push notifications or automatic Internet reconnection in this mode?

If you turn wifi back on in airport mode it is NOT free wifi.

Well, it might be free WiFi (say in port). Or it might be low-cost WiFi (again, in port). Or the ship's WiFi (definitely not free or low-cost).

But...any push notifications (or checking email) that occurs will not incur a large bill from your carrier or the "cellular at sea" service (because you're not using their service). Airplane mode disables all the radios (2G, 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS). So, turning WiFi back on still leaves the 2G and 3G radios off -- so no worries about a large bill with your carrier.

This is easy to test at home since most of us have WiFi. Place your iOS device in Airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on. Connect to your WiFi (or one at the local coffee shop) and see what works and what doesn't.

Archived