Cruisetour Basics

panda24

This is the first time my family and I have done a cruisetour compared to a cruise. I realize this may be a very dumb line of questioning, but here goes. On the cruisetours is it similar to the cruise where you check in and basically all your needs are abundantly met. AKA - should I be looking at dining out options or do we have table assignments at breakfast, lunch and dinner? Do you receive your excursion tickets at check-in? Or anything else I might have forgotten to ask :o.

This is our second time to Alaska, so we've done most of the excursions we wanted to do in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Any must does for the cruisetour portion and/or Vancouver? I'll be travelling with my parents and my aunt (all in their mid-60's).

Thank you all for any and all input you can give. :)

If you are on an Alaskan Princess "Connoisseur" tour, then almost all of your needs are met foodwise, both in the lodges and on the trains.

Othewise you are on your own for meals unless they are included in an excursion.

No assigned dining seats while on the tour part of a cruisetour.

Your personalizer should be listing available excursions during the tour part of the cruisetour. Pick the ones that interest you the most. In Denali, you should want the Tundra Wilderness Tour and not the Natural History Tour.

There are actually a few different facilities in Fairbanks but they all either are walkable or have a shuttle into town with tons of options (and the one we stayed at had a decent if not spectacular restaurant.)

Denali has a few venues on site and there is a small strip mall right across the street with a Subway, plus there are salmon bakes and stuff that will pick you up.

One thing in your planning, assume everything will cost more, food-wise, than you think it will (think NYC pricing if you are familiar). It's not a Princess thing, it the cost of getting goods up there other than produce and perishables.

In Fairbanks we took the free shuttle to Pioneer Park for the salmon bake- great salmon, fried halibut, and prime rib cooked outside, along with side dishes, drinks, and dessert. There is also a show you can pay for separately. At Denali there is a family style breakfast with a movie about climbing Mt. McKinley- very interesting show- the breakfast is pretty good- reindeer sausage, blueberry pancakes, eggs, etc. There are several good restaurants across the street- we had very good halibut at one. And we took subway sandwiches on the Tundra Wilderness Tour- the box lunch they provide isn't very good. We flew with a small soft-side cooler- long flight, not traveling 1st class that time, so iffy food choices- lots of people take their own stuff for such a long flight (Ohio to Anchorage).

Budget 50% more than you would at home for meals.

Be certain, IF you wish to see wildlife and get into Denali Park (I can see no other reason for going there) you are on a Tundra Wilderness tour. If you have the Natural History tour, you are NOT getting into Denali, only will be going on the short distance on the public road. Princess does give refunds on the tours. Which is an excellent feature.

We really enjoyed the Salmon Bake in Fairbanks at Pioneer Park...we also enjoyed spending time at Pioneer Park. Go early as the dinner has buffet items and gets crowded and picked over...the salmon is grilled and very good. At Denali we ate at a large casual restaurant across the road from the lodge.

We also carry snacks with us when we travel which works our very well...prepackaged peanut butter crackers, granola bars, hard candies, etc. Everything is so expensive in Alaska...except souvenirs and fleece vests/jackets...!!!

[quote name='twocats']Which to choose on the land tours? All meals provided or pay as you go (restaurants ie. the salmon bake)[/quote]

If you take a Connoisseur tour, not only do you have almost all the meals included, but you also have a guide for more parts of the tour.

[COLOR="Black"][B]The Connoisseur Tours have a Tour Director, much different from a Step-On Guide. I would have preferred this tour but it is not offered on my sailing.
In South America, I did the post-cruise tour to Machu-Picchu. Two Inca Ladies for 60 pax. They were wonderful. I believe you cannot beat the Princess Cruise Tours.
I just changed my 3-day On-Your-Own post tour (most land excursions were extra) to a 4-day Denali Explorer and saved > $500. Princess has some great Promos going now for Alaska - more than previous years. [/B][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Black"]Thank you, Sandy. I love chili. I know that Denali to Fairbanks is by Rail but that may have changed now that I have added a day - completely different tour. I really love the rail so I am hoping for more rail and less coach.[/COLOR][/B]

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Budget Queen']Budget 50% more than you would at home for meals.

Be certain, IF you wish to see wildlife and get into Denali Park (I can see no other reason for going there) you are on a Tundra Wilderness tour. If you have the Natural History tour, you are NOT getting into Denali, only will be going on the short distance on the public road. Princess does give refunds on the tours. Which is an excellent feature.[/quote]

The Cruise Tour we are on MA7, has the Natural History Tour .... the way i see it, the Tundra Wilderness Tour is an excursion... Am I correct with that assumption? or should I be looking for a different cruisetour that offers the Tundra Tour??

The NHT is included, you can swap to the TWT by paying the difference...

[quote name='tcs1366']The Cruise Tour we are on MA7, has the Natural History Tour .... the way i see it, the Tundra Wilderness Tour is an excursion... Am I correct with that assumption? or should I be looking for a different cruisetour that offers the Tundra Tour??[/quote]

Archived