Packing question regarding tissue paper

496and706

I've started to pack. I've seen suggestions/tips on CC regarding using tissue paper when packing. How is it used to help reduce wrinkles in the clothes?

Any suggestions/tips will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I find using dry cleaner plastic bags far better for keeping wrinkles out of our clothes than tissue paper. Anything that hangs, I put on the cleaner's metal hanger and put a dry cleaner bag over. I almost never need anything pressed.

I also use dry cleaning bags. For things like undies and t shirts, I use large plastic baggies and sit on them to get the air out. No wrinkles. I also use Chico travelers clothes to wear in the evening. Never any wrinkles in those no matter how you pack them.

I recall that some people roll their clothing between layers of tissue. I roll most of my casual wear and have never had a problem with wrinkles. For evenings, I use travel knits from Coldwater Creek or Chico...have a jacket that I purchased before our January cruise from Chico that is really pretty, and I can roll it in a ball and it emerges from the luggage perfectly...and it weighs next to nothing!

It seems to be a trial by error process!

I love tissue paper.:) Insert the tissue paper before you start to fold and keep putting it in for each fold. Works great. We don't use hangers - prefer the Eagle pack envelopes and the tissue paper works fine for us.

Dry cleaning bags are great if you are hanging (we don't hang). But if you are folding and compressing - trust me the tissue paper will do the trick - any wrinkles fall out in just a few minutes (and my clothes have been packed up to a week for pre cruise stays).:)

hope this makes sense - which I could do a diagram. Tissue paper is dirt cheap at the dollar store - everything we have is pressed down, put in evelopes and stored days ahead of time. Works just fine:)

Thank you for the suggestions. Dh and I very rarely need a dry cleaner, so I think I only have one wire hanger and no dry cleaner bags. Considering going to a dry cleaner on Monday to see if they sell or give away hangers and/or bags.

Thank you for the suggestions. Dh and I very rarely need a dry cleaner, so I think I only have one wire hanger and no dry cleaner bags. Considering going to a dry cleaner on Monday to see if they sell or give away hangers and/or bags.

One caveat - if you are hanging clothes they work great - if you are folding clothes, I find dry cleaner bags really slippery and the clothes can slip.

Have a great cruise:):)

I always use tissue paper because our bags usually get packed the weekend before we leave, then travel to our departure city a couple days before the cruise. When they're finally unpacked on board the ship, I have no problems. If there is a wrinkle, just hang in the bathroom and take a shower. The wrinkles will come out quickly.

I use the dry cleaner bags for formal wear and they are very slippery. Be sure to pack items that you worry about wrinkling tightly. If they can't shift in the suitcase, they aren't going to ball up and wrinkle.

I use the space bags that you sit on and get all the air out, really compresses the clothes. I also save the long plastice bags that departments stores like Macy's will put dresses in, for the hanging items.

I love tissue paper.:) Insert the tissue paper before you start to fold and keep putting it in for each fold. Works great. We don't use hangers - prefer the Eagle pack envelopes and the tissue paper works fine for us.

Dry cleaning bags are great if you are hanging (we don't hang). But if you are folding and compressing - trust me the tissue paper will do the trick - any wrinkles fall out in just a few minutes (and my clothes have been packed up to a week for pre cruise stays).:)

hope this makes sense - which I could do a diagram. Tissue paper is dirt cheap at the dollar store - everything we have is pressed down, put in evelopes and stored days ahead of time. Works just fine:)

Question for you, Jacqui....what are Eagle pack envelopes?

Hi

A lot of suit cases are Not waterproff. I put large garbage bags on the bottom and top of my suitecase. Every thing is in some kind of plastic bag. Be it zip lock or squeeze bags. I have eevening gown for the first time. I am hoping when I get it back from the store (from fitting) they will fold it for me. Just remember because you pack your stuff safely that does not mean someone else does. So I am sure you would not like your clothes with wine, mouth wash, or some other liquid.

Mary

First of all, we always use 2 large suitcases and I "cross pack" --- this way, if one bag is lost -- we at least can look presentable. As most of our clothes are knits -- I roll them. You can really pack alot this way -- I put my evening clothes in our hanging garment bag with the dry cleaners bags over them. Then a couple of my dresses and then DH's suit/jacket. I try to limit my shoes to white, beige, navy and black and always wear one the day we fly to our departure point. I probably tend to overpack as we lead a very quiet/casual life at home and my cruises give me a chance to use more of my pretty clothes. I also tuck our undies/socks inside shoes and the nooks and crannies in the suitcases. Like the other poster mentioned --- everything goes inside a large plastic garbage bag in case the bags are out in the weather. I also use the TSA locks --- I know there is a lot of pros and cons about this --- but that is just me.

We pack our bathing suits and a set of shorts/tee shirts in our carrt on along with our meds, jewelry and electronics. This way, we can start to enjoy the pool area even before departure !

Hope you have a wonderful time !!

I am not Jacqui, but I am familiar with Eagle Creek travel products. They are great!

Here is a link for you:

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-solutions.html

Besides the Packing System, they have a huge selection of travel accessories.

The Container Store at the mall near where I live carries a large assortment of Eagle Creek.

Hope that helps!

I use to use tissue but discovered that just lining the garment w/ plastic grocery store bags worked just as well.

After folding the garment THEN I also pack it in a plastic ziplock bag and push the air out. I pack up to 2 weeks ahead of time and nothing ever wrinkles and I use a large duffel bag.

Sheila - another poster kindly gave you the link - or go to Magellans and you can see them. I put pants, shirts, even formal wear in them.

They hold them all in place so they don't move and therefore don't wrinkle.

Also good for TSA. Makes it very easy - especially if you are staying precruise - as you don't have to open and dig in the entire suitcase:)

Very easy to organize your packing ahead of time and add if need be.:)

I find using dry cleaner plastic bags far better for keeping wrinkles out of our clothes than tissue paper. Anything that hangs, I put on the cleaner's metal hanger and put a dry cleaner bag over. I almost never need anything pressed.

I do the same and find the hanger itself can be foldsed over to fit all my luggage either lengthwise or cross wise with no noticeable wrinkles when taken out of the bag.

I am a fan of the Eagle Creek Pack-It System. I have 2 medium size Pack-It envelopes. I've put everything from t-shirts and shorts to dresses in them without a wrinkling problem because the clothes can't shift around in your luggage.

Archived