Med Cruise-with 20-30 year old-which line?

Bowler Lady

My husband and I (52 and 62) will be taking our kids and significant others on a cruise to the Mediteranean next year and trying to decide which line would be good for everyone.

The kids are 22 and 32.

My husband and I love the Princess, but dont know anything about Holland America, Norwegian, etc.

Any opinions out there?

Med cruises are very port intensive and even the youngest and most active don't have much energy at night after a very full day of touring. There's so much to do and see. HAL cabins have more living space and a small couch in most cabins. It's also not as active at night. I can't comment on NCL because I've never considered cruising on them.

I would not consider Norwegian, personally, because even though the cruise will be port-intensive, you'll still have to eat at least two meals a day on board. That's the dealbreaker for me!

I say Princess would be a far better choice than HAL. The 20s/30s will probably want some nightlife. Even on a busy Med cruise, I want something to do after 10pm; port days may be busy but I'm still on vacation! Princess has a disco, the sidewalks don't roll up early the way I've heard they do on HAL. Plus, freshwater pools for the sea day(s)!

And since you know and like the Princess product, why not stick with it?

we did italy / greece on Royal Carribbean at probably 27ish.... Plenty to do.

Norwegian does more "fun" stuff for our age group on its US based cruises, but we don't like Norwegian because everything costs extra and your bill is "surprising"ly high compared to the others

we just did princess (31/32) and found the nightlife really sad - they would most likely be bored if they are like us, but to each his own. We didn't mind so much becuse being port intensive with long days we would do late dinners and just go to bed a little earlier than we'd like but no biggie

Does Carnival do Med? That woulod be your best bet for that age group

If I were you I would pick the line/ship based on the ports they visit and the time in port and then narrow down your choices to a specific sailing(s). As others have said, Med sailings are tiring due to the heat, long days on your feet and touring, and after we return it is a nice hot shower, glass of wine, dinner, possibly a show and then bed! I have done Princess Grand Med. itinerary and Greek Isles itinearay, and can recommend them both very highly.

If you think you are going to eat in the buffet because you don't want to change after returning from port, I would recommend HAL. They probably have the best buffet of all the mass-market lines. Alot of their ships have a

no-fee Italian restaurant in their buffet area which is quite good. Another good thing about HAL, there never seems to be much of a crowd getting out of the ship when the ship is in port except tender ports like Santorini. However, nightlife is virtually non-existent. But their rooms are large and the beds are quite comfortable (compared to Princess).

After extensive research, we picked the "Grand Mediterranean" on the Ruby Princess because of the Itinerary. I did not find another comparable one on any other line for a similar price.

Venice

Athens

Kusadasi, Turkey

Istanbul (Ephesus)

Mykonos

Naples (Pompeii Amalfi Coast)

Civitavecchia (Rome)

Lavorno (Florence, Pisa)

Monte Carlo

Barcelona.

After extensive research, we picked the "Grand Mediterranean" on the Ruby Princess because of the Itinerary. I did not find another comparable one on any other line for a similar price.

Venice

Athens

Kusadasi, Turkey

Istanbul (Ephesus)

Mykonos

Civitavecchia (Rome)

Lavorno (Florence, Pisa)

Monte Carlo

Barcelona.

I would like to defend Norwegian - we just finished a cruise on their newest ship and loved the activity options like water slides, FREE adult pool area, etc. We also liked the food. As others have said though, the nightlife is usually pretty dead because everyone is so tired after the ports each day.

The Norwegian Spirit does the exact same itinerary as what you listed, but stops in Provence instead of Monte Carlo. I haven't sailed that ship before, but Norwegian definitely skews towards younger passengers and entertainment options. It might be worth looking into reviews of that ship and itinerary and I'm 99% sure it will be cheaper than Princess.

That crap about "paying extra for everything" is based on what you do or don't want to do. Want to eat at specialty restaurants, drink alcohol, or play Bingo? You'll have to pay extra, just like every other cruise line :rolleyes: Don't want to spend extra? No one is forcing you. I'd much rather pay less for the cruise up-front and decide what I want to pay extra for, but some people just love to complain.

I would like to defend Norwegian - we just finished a cruise on their newest ship and loved the activity options like water slides, FREE adult pool area, etc. We also liked the food. As others have said though, the nightlife is usually pretty dead because everyone is so tired after the ports each day.

The Norwegian Spirit does the exact same itinerary as what you listed, but stops in Provence instead of Monte Carlo. I haven't sailed that ship before, but Norwegian definitely skews towards younger passengers and entertainment options. It might be worth looking into reviews of that ship and itinerary and I'm 99% sure it will be cheaper than Princess.

That crap about "paying extra for everything" is based on what you do or don't want to do. Want to eat at specialty restaurants, drink alcohol, or play Bingo? You'll have to pay extra, just like every other cruise line :rolleyes: Don't want to spend extra? No one is forcing you. I'd much rather pay less for the cruise up-front and decide what I want to pay extra for, but some people just love to complain.

FYI The adult pool area on the Ruby is also free.

Pricing? with the price drops and free upgrades that Princess gave me, I am paying $2149 for a Mini suite..

BTW I am sure that you will enjoy the Grand Med cruise you have booked on the Ruby coming up soon. I personally have never sailed on NCL so I have no personal opinion.

OP STATED: My husband and I (52 and 62) will be taking our kids and significant others on a cruise to the Mediteranean next year and trying to decide which line would be good for everyone.

Venice

Athens

Kusadasi, Turkey

Istanbul (Ephesus)

Mykonos

Civitavecchia (Rome)

Lavorno (Florence, Pisa)

Monte Carlo

Barcelona.

The above is Ruby Princess' 2012 Grand Mediterranian itinerary. The OP is looking to sail in 2013 when the Royal Princess takes over this route. Monte Carlo is replaced by Provence on all but one sailing in August which goes to Cannes. The Ruby will be doing two late season Grand Med in October and November 2013.

My wife and I (age 29 & 33 at the time) did the Med on the Ruby and loved every minute. But I must confess that nightlife was not a big deal to us. We aren't the type that needs constant entertainment. We like the night life as much as anyone, but that was not the goal of the trip. When nightlife is the goal Vegas is the destination. We very much enjoyed Princess and appreciated the somewhat laid back atmosphere compared to what I hear about on some of the other lines.

food on norwegian in main dining rooms and bufett isn't as good and they push all the extras - my carnival ship bill is way less than norwegian.

But whatever - i am glad you found something that works!

The above is Ruby Princess' 2012 Grand Mediterranian itinerary. The OP is looking to sail in 2013 when the Royal Princess takes over this route. Monte Carlo is replaced by Provence on all but one sailing in August which goes to Cannes. The Ruby will be doing two late season Grand Med in October and November 2013.

You are correct.. And I did not take notice of the "Next Year" indication.

The Royal should be a great ship and experience, however I am guessing that the pricing, since it is so new, will not be as low as the Ruby, when all is said and done.

I am looking forward to the Monte Carlo stop on our cruise this August. From all reports, it is still a part of the "Grand Mediterranean" so far. Not so with some other med itineraries.

I have cruised on 3 Princess ships, 1 Norwegian, and 1 Carnival, and I've loved all of them. My family has also enjoyed these ships. Throughout these various trips, we ranged in age from 15-late fifties, and everyone has always had a great time. I think you'll have fun no matter what ship you pick. Personally, I choose my cruise based on itinerary, price, and timing. I don't think choosing the ship itself is as important since I know I will have a great time on any ship.

• 1 month later...

I want to thank everyone for all their responses. I agree the itinerary is most important. Even though it will be very port intensive though, I will need a fun ship at night. So I can now take off HAL cruises off my list for this trip at least. I dont think that would work for this family cruise..

I would choose based on itinerary first, as the ports are the main attraction here. Princess offers some excellent ones that are a good introduction to the Med, like the Grand Mediterranean. Nightlife will be available if you want it, but with early mornings and long days, you might not use it as much as you think.

I will warn that your childrens' age group may not be well-represented on a Med cruise on any line. You're more likely to find college-aged kids at the oldest, as most twenty-somethings usually can't afford a pricey Med cruise. I do think Princess is a better bet for finding young people and nightlife as opposed to HAL.

+1

Of the cruises I've been on, my NCL Spirit Western Caribbean cruise last October was in fact my favorite. No doubt they had the most friendly/courteous/likable staff. The entertainment was super. I've never been on a cleaner ship either. Food was as good or better than CCL. Our balcony cabin was smaller than we are used to but other than that, it was a superior cruise. Really, it's hard for me to believe anyone wouldn't like NCL.

I want to thank everyone for all their responses. I agree the itinerary is most important. Even though it will be very port intensive though, I will need a fun ship at night. So I can now take off HAL cruises off my list for this trip at least. I dont think that would work for this family cruise..

My husband and I did Princess in 10/10. It was fantastic, there was night life but only managed to stay up late a few nites with all the ports we did. Food was excellent and MUTS was fantastic. Very easy to get around on your own in the ports you've listed we didn't take any of the ship tours, took public transportation in almost every port. We only booked a private tour in Kushadasi - didn't want to spend time stopping at rug and leather factories. In Naples I set up a tour with Rome in Limo and did the Amalfi Coast. There were 7 of us in the van, a lot cheaper and saw a lot more and there is always some that would like to do the same on these boards.

We have recently sailed Princess, NCL and Cunard. I can honestly say NCL and Cunard were better than Princess.(IMHO) the anytime dining and traditional on the same ship is the worst invention ever. It makes for utter chaos in the theater. Our college age son was with us on NCL doing the Itinerary that overnighted in Egypt. It was fabulous. Zero complaints, would do it again. Best advice pick the ports and look at time in each port. Have a great time whatever you choose....

I loved the EPIc Med and Transat cruise .Never a boring moment All the shows at night were amazing I found the food good to excellent Staff was SUPERB I really loved this cruise

My son found SILHOUETTE very boring at night last August on the MedVery few young people like him He does not care for Celebrity ...my experience ...unfortunately some very snotty people THey only go Celebrity because it is THE best ...according to them ....DUH I beg to differ lots of lines out there are just as good ...I tend to prefer Princess ..because they treat me very well NCL as well WOW what service .....UNIQUE

Carnival is more his cup of tea because of late night comedians WE both enjoy them

It is true Med is port intensive and night life is not as important ON DREAM we were very well treated

WE are doing HAL next Should be interesting as the roll call is DEAD and have made few connections But the itinerary cannot be beat ...neither the price THIS year However Still no cabin ...duh I'm leaving next week so I find them a TAD???? slow in assigning cabins I am not happy leaving home not knowing where I will be and not sure about luggage tags !!!

All companies are OK ...although I would hesitate going on MSC ...very different .Did not care for LIRICA and service was DREADFUL .Dining took 3 hours or more Our waiter never got anything right and never wrote anything down Food was unavailable between 1pm anf 5 pm TERRIBLE when we would get back from excursions Line up for Pizza was unbelievable WE nearly had a Riot there as they could only bake a few at a time and people kept taking them all for their friends so others in line needed to wait even longer to get a piece I did not care for MSC and have NEVER gone back

So this is my summary Choose one with good itinerary Bon Voyage

Michele

Archived