Attire in Polo and other Speciality Restaurants?

heliman

I am interested in finding out the standard dress code in speciality restaurants on board Marina.

My wife and I are due to sail on the Baltic itinerary in a few weeks time and I was wondering whether I should pack a jacket and tie?

Many thanks

Rossco

I am interested in finding out the standard dress code in speciality restaurants on board Marina.

My wife and I are due to sail on the Baltic itinerary in a few weeks time and I was wondering whether I should pack a jacket and tie?

Many thanks

Rossco

Only pack a jacket and tie if you like to dress up for supper as they are not required. A nice pair of slacks and a collared shirt are all that is required, also no flip flops or beach sandels are appropriate. The dress code is country club casual and that is how most passengers travel.

We have seen Jacket & ties, no ties , no jacket with dress shirt, no jacket with polo shirt & a full suit

It is a personal choice

All that is required for the dining venues (Terrace excepted) nice slacks, shirt with collar & sleeves

Let's not get started on shoes ;)

Lyn

Hi Heliman,

If you look at the photos for the Marina restaurants on Oceania's web site, you'll see that the one for Polo shows a man wearing a jacket but no tie.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/default.aspx

Although most men (particularly of a certain age) will feel more comfortable in a jacket in the specialty restaurants, there are also those who feel "trussed up" in a jacket and adamantly refuse to wear one.

Neckties were almost unheard of on Oceania, except for the staff, until recently. On the Riviera, last month, they were much more in evidence, particularly in Polo for some reason.

The answer, I suppose, is to dress in the same way that you would when going to an upscale restaurant in your home town, and hope for the best...:D

Referring to the brochures for fashion advice is sometimes a fools errand.

il_570xN.201602523-240x300.jpgI seem to recall a hat controversy......or was it a CAP? :rolleyes:

When we sailed last year in the Caribbean on the Marina, on a couple of occasions my husband wore a dark blazer in a specialty restaurant. Just to make the occasion special for us! Do whatever you like to do when you go out for a special evening in your area. As long as it at least follows the usual "country club" casual dress code.

Many thanks

Rossco

For your own sake you might put more research into a cruise which is not a budget experience. No need for unexpected surprises positive or negative when a few minutes of investigation can smooth out the worry wrinkles before commitment.

The advice given already is smack on the mark.

Enjoy!

I find the itinerary also has something to do with how passengers dress.

In the warmer climates, I see less jackets and ties. In Northern Europe - more jackets and ties. In the Med - less. On the itineraries where there are more Brits - more ties/jackets and skirts on women;

Just my personal observations.

We were on Marina in Mediterranean just last month. My husband thanked me for suggesting he would be comfortable with a sport coat. He was not planning to bring one but in the specialty restaurants, was glad that he had. No tie. Have fun and enjoy your cruise. The ship is very elegant.

I find the itinerary also has something to do with how passengers dress.

In the warmer climates, I see less jackets and ties. In Northern Europe - more jackets and ties. In the Med - less. On the itineraries where there are more Brits - more ties/jackets and skirts on women;

Just my personal observations.

On our Panama cruise last year on Marina we saw more suits & ties a few Tuxes thrown in

More jackets than on any of our other cruises on O :eek:

So I think it just depends on the client base on a particular cruise

JMO

Lyn

My husband packs a jacket because the restaurants and lounges are sometimes chilly. This was true on the November TA from Rome. No ties, though. We live in a resort and are familiar with country club casual. Relax and enjoy.

The rule is country club casual everywhere (except Terrace Lounge). In the Baltic, I did not even pack a jacket. Yes there were some men in jackets, and the occasional tie, but never once did I feel out of place with just slacks and a collared shirt. We will be on Riviera in October/November, and I have no plans to pack a jacket. As others have said, anything more than country club casual is also welcome -- nobody is going to stare or make a comment if you have a suit or tux on, but the same for going casual. Whatever floats your boat -- so to speak!

Warburg above makes an excellent point in addition what others have said.

If you tend not to be enamored of well-chilled indoor environments, bring a sport coat for comfort. A like-minded lady may appreciate a light sweater or shawl.

On the other hand, if efficient air-conditioning is your preference then there is no need for the jacket. Just wear what my mom used to call "good school clothes."

So one quick question, is it considered "acceptable" to wear jeans if dining in the Terrace Cafe for dinner?

You can wear them in the Terrace but not in other dining venues for dinner

Just because you can does not mean that you should.

tattooed-baby3.jpg

I do not normally take my jeans on a cruise but did so on the Norway cruise & DID wear them in the Terrace for dinner

DH does not wear Hawaiian shirts but have seen them in the dining rooms ;)

To each his own

Lyn

Don't people wear jeans routinely during the day before 6, especially when going off on excursions?

Yes, of course, and this is one of the rare times that I'll disagree with my very good friend Jim. There are times when one has just returned from one of those excursions, tired and hungry, and just want to get something to eat and then relax. That's why there's one venue on the ship that is more casual and jeans (and even decent looking shorts) are permitted.

Of course, you may stand out as almost everyone else has made a little more of an effort, but you won't be turned away.

Some may say that's the perfect opportunity to order room service, but having looked at the room service menus, I'd rather wear jeans to the Terrace. Not everyone has a suite and can order in from the other dining rooms.

I have a family member that always wears jeans and some sort of hawaiian type button up shirt untucked to dinner to main dinning venues on ships (not on formal nights if there are any). They are always some sort of dark colored jeans (black, dark green, dark dark blue). No one has ever seemed to notice or call him on it. And he always wears his black boots. His jeans are more expensive than some slacks/khakis out there and he hates slacks/khakis.

Have been on cruises where you need a tux - and felt uncomfortable. The good thing about Oceania as others have mentioned is that it is casual. On previous Oceania cruises i have been on i have never worn a jacket at any of the restaurants and felt comfortable without feeling out of place.

I don't know if it's a good thing or not, but remember that if you pack a jacket there is less room for the wifes shoes :eek:

Archived