Thanks for helping me pass the time...

LHP

It is 3 AM and I am sitting at the hospital. Hubby just got out the ICU a few hours ago. What they thought was serious turned out to "probably" be just kidney stones.

He has had them before, but they manifested themselves in the traditional manner in the past. This time the stones did some weird stuff that mimicked a heart attack.

Thankfully, he will be fine. He passed the stress tests with flying colors.

But even though I did not get to post much these past few days, it was nice to have the distraction when I could.

Thank goodness for hospitals that have free wifi!!

We got off the Elation on Saturday and this struck on Sunday night....so at least we had good timing.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery..and please make sure you take care of yourself also. :)

I am glad you were able to get away and had a good time. Yes, the whole situations sucks, but thank God it did not happen on the ship and you arrived home safely.

God Speed and GET SOME SLEEP. It is 4:37AM :eek:

:eek: OMG! Glad to hear it wasn't a heart attack. I know (from experience) how terrible kidney can hurt - and especially for a man who has never gone thru childbirth!:p And you are very lucky this didn't happen on the Elation, or you would have been writing a whole thread on how travel insurance was a necessity, and never leave home without it! Try to get some sleep. At least I hope your cruise was great - interested to hear (from your perspective) what cut-backs you may have noticed. I hope you had a great kareoke experience on the ship!:)

It is 3 AM and I am sitting at the hospital. Hubby just got out the ICU a few hours ago. What they thought was serious turned out to "probably" be just kidney stones.

He has had them before, but they manifested themselves in the traditional manner in the past. This time the stones did some weird stuff that mimicked a heart attack.

Thankfully, he will be fine. He passed the stress tests with flying colors.

But even though I did not get to post much these past few days, it was nice to have the distraction when I could.

Thank goodness for hospitals that have free wifi!!

We got off the Elation on Saturday and this struck on Sunday night....so at least we had good timing.

My husband had those to, but only needed ER. You will get lots of suggestions but my boss had kidney stones and he suggested drinking lemon juice(not lemonade) every day. I mix straight lemon juice, water, and sugar and he drinks it every day-pretty strong so only about 2/3 of a cup of the mixture, no problems. Good luck.

Linda, I'm happy to know that David is recovering and this wasn't something more serious. I've had kidney stones many times and even had to have one smashed up to remove.

I can't drink iced tea or red wine without almost certainly suffering the consequences.

I hope DJ is okay too.

Thanks y'all.

He had them 20 years ago but altered his diet ... so they had not happened since then.

Unfortunately, instead of the usual symptoms...this pain was localized right where a heart attack would happen.

We went to the ER... and immediately had an attack that lasted 15 minutes. It was a 9 on the scale. They wanted to give him morphine but he said no.

He has taken it before, so he isn't allergic to it. He does not like to take that kind of stuff. He said he would just tough it out.

The EKG looked ok. They immediately ruled out gallbadder . Since it did not feel like the kidney stones years ago....he did not even think of kidney stones.

They really just did no know what it was.

Then a few hours after getting into his regular hospital room, he had an attack that was a 10 +++ in his lower chest area.... so they gave him THREE nitro pills and pushed dilaudid AND morphine.

All at the same time...and nothing was stopping the pain...

hubby looked like he was going to squeeze the sides of that bed off.

(which really scared me because I know he has a tremendous tolerance for pain)

DJ and I were sitting on the couch and suddenly, he turned white as a sheet and his blood pressure bottomed out, he could not breathe, he could not swallow and then (all of a sudden) ... he did not know who I was or where he was. He was unresponsive to their commands or me.

That room was suddenly filled with 10 doctors and nurses and a crash cart and they rushed him down to ICU.

It took 45 minutes to get him stabilized because of his blood pressure.

Since he is not allergic to any medications, we were all perplexed.

He had 9 more attacks until one that finally acted like a real kidney stone and move the stone to the bladder. They just gave him dilaudid and morphine after each attack.

I sure did not know a kidney stone could do all that....

But he is fine now...until he passes the one in his bladder.... :eek:

Glad everything is improving. The worst should be over, though, as passing from the bladder is more of a quick shock than a painful ordeal. As Janey has, I too have passed many, and have also gone through lithotripsy to make small passable stones from a large stone.

FYI - potassium citrate (Urocit-K) has kept me stone free for more than 2 years now.

Leon

Archived