Will PRINCESS change their loyalty program?

KruzPrincess

Pam __ I did not say that === If you question the NCL benefits, please look at the NCL website instead of posting what you think or what you would like to convey:confused:!!!

On the website the Latitudes rewards benefits only states laundry service. There is no mention of a limit. From what I can see there is no need to go past silver. It seems that the best perks for savings are all lumped there. Most of the other perks don't really mean anything to me but I realize that there are passengers who get a thrill out of free sparkling wine which Princess offers at the champagne waterfall. I don't even attend that event on Princess because the Champagne I bring on board is far better than the free swill. To tell you the truth I am not in any rush to become elite on Princess either. Since they have self serve laundry we prefer to do our own wash. On a positive note the Latitudes point system is pretty good. We only have been able to take 7 day cruises on Princess. With their system it would take me 15 cruises before I became elite for the 16th. I could be Platinum on NCL after 11 and there are other ways to score extra points without sailing as a single or in a suite. I think the system is fair and obtainable for the average cruiser. If passengers believe that the goal is unattainable they will lose interest and the program will fail. I think Carnival has managed to alienate their passengers with their new program.

http://www2.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards/rewards-points-and-benefits

Have you read the NCL platinum perk benefits ?? It does offer free laundry. what is your question?

Pam was questioning the equality of the two benefits. You said NCL gives free laundry as a perk. Pam merely pointed out that the free was not unlimited, like it is on Princess even though the way you phrased it, it sounded like it was unlimited. Her point was that all things considered a perk that can only be used one time is not as good a value as an unlimited use perk especially on the longer cruises. She cruises on NCL as well as Princess so she has had some experience in the comparison.

Pam was questioning the equality of the two benefits. You said NCL gives free laundry as a perk. Pam merely pointed out that the free was not unlimited, like it is on Princess even though the way you phrased it, it sounded like it was unlimited. Her point was that all things considered a perk that can only be used one time is not as good a value as an unlimited use perk especially on the longer cruises. She cruises on NCL as well as Princess so she has had some experience in the comparison.

I have cruised both lines as well, and have a pretty good history of the benefits offered by the cruise lines. What Pam is trying to convey is untrue, and shows a bias toward Princess. That is her choice, but it is not good to attempt to pass untrue information to those who access these boards for information. NCL does offer free laundry as I stated. To say that it is only offered one time is also untrue. I speak from experience.

She cruises on NCL as well as Princess so she has had some experience in the comparison.
Correction: I've cruised four different cruise lines. NCL isn't one of them. :( Princess and HAL offer, for me, the best cruise experience and itineraries. That's why I cruise these lines, not the loyalty programs although those are nice to have.

Despite NCL's program calling up free laundry for its Platinum level in reviewing the NCL board it appears the laundry perk is not unlimited, it is one bag per Platinum member per week and does not include dry-cleaning. Whereas Princess benefit is unlimited laundry and dry-cleaning for its Elite members.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1546015

Not in the wording I saw recently:

"Just proceed to the tender embarkation area and present your Elite cruise card to the cruise staff. You will be directed to join any remaining passengers and board the next available tender once it is clear to embark."

You may infer it says join the end of the line (which you should do), but it does not actually say it.

In addition my experience has been that if I just go to the end of the line no cruise staff member ever asks to see the card.

That appears to be the standard statement in the letter & I agree that all elites should go to the end of the line.

Maybe saying "go to the end of the line without requiring a tender ticket" or something similar to eliminate any confusion from those who think a black card is a 'head of the line' pass which I think most of us can infer from this statement isn't true. :rolleyes:

Maybe they will have be more specific to say "the end of the line" because if anyone can interpret "to join any remaining passengers" to mean to go to the front of the line waving a black card, then guess they need to idiot proof the procedure. :rolleyes:

I think you misread my post. The laundry is not unlimited. It is one bag per platinum guest which is sufficient for us. I also didn't mention internet -- which NCL doesn't offer. The free bottle of wine comes with the free dinner in Le Bistro which can also be exchanged for another specialty restaurant if you so desire. We also get a bottle of wine in our cabin, but I have never tried to exchange it for credit.

Each program has perks that may or may not appeal to everybody, but I consider the programs far from lame, and don't think one is better because it is not a carbon copy of the others.

I have cruised both lines as well, and have a pretty good history of the benefits offered by the cruise lines. What Pam is trying to convey is untrue, and shows a bias toward Princess. That is her choice, but it is not good to attempt to pass untrue information to those who access these boards for information. NCL does offer free laundry as I stated. To say that it is only offered one time is also untrue. I speak from experience.

Ok, now I am confused.:confused: Is the laundry perk one bag per cruise or unlimited meaning you can send laundry out as much as you want every day?

Ok, now I am confused.:confused: Is the laundry perk one bag per cruise or unlimited meaning you can send laundry out as much as you want every day?

Mike,

As of this moment Princess' Elite and Suite passengers have unlimited laundry.

Mike,

As of this moment Princess' Elite and Suite passengers have unlimited laundry.

I believe the statements Mike quoted were dealing with the limit or lack there of for laundry service on NCL, not Princess. The posted he was quoting had posted that there was a limit and that there was not a limit.

I believe the statements Mike quoted were dealing with the limit or lack there of for laundry service on NCL, not Princess. The posted he was quoting had posted that there was a limit and that there was not a limit.

Thanks Paul, my bad:(

We should all take Paul's attitude. Otherwise we split into snob groups. "Are you independently wealthy or did you have to take vacation from a JOB for that cruise?" . "What, you can't cruise 4 weeks a year.? Pity. MY cruises are at least 14 days each". I hate those conversations.

But since you seem to prefer not to take Paul's attitude, I can give you some comfort. I live in the West. Ground transportation to get to the short cruises in the West, precludes them from being the incredible savings you think we receive. And although this year is kind of an exception, we don't typically get the discounts for west coast cruises that Floridians get for the Caribbean. It is much cheaper, usually, for a Floridian to take a 7 day cruise than for a west coaster to do a one day. (happy for them, but just saying)

Northwest coast population is spread out and thin to begin with. Princess doesn't run a bus that runs the length of the state to help you get there, like they do in Florida. We have to fly somewhere, or drive for hours, needing time off. Small flights from small towns have no competition, so it is costly. At times it is cheaper to fly from Portland, Oregon to Europe than Pullman, Washington. Seattle is a nightmare to drive in, esp for those who live in our small towns.The 1-4 day offerings either end in Canada, or far away from where they started. The one round trip 4 day to Alaska until this year cost more than flying off to do a 7 day Mexico.

So it is not a simple, stroll to the pier, ride back with Princess, pay little, gain perks. This year is an exception, to some degree, in that they have two one days back to back on a weekend (two cruises one set of transportation).

I hope that makes you feel a little better. Sometimes I have heard retirees worry they will lose benefits if younger folks on a ticking vacation clock can get them. If that's you, just be glad you aren't twenty years younger. We often have a job equivalent to what two or more were a few years ago. It's tough out there. It's not uncommon, IF you have a job at all, to work 60 hours a week or more with two weeks of vacation a year. This might be your sick time too. We need cruises more than ever to relax enough just to keep going. Perks make them even nicer.

I hope we all get some.

Well said!! I always read these lengthy threads about this subject or cabin locations/types because they amuse me on some level.

I'm a single parent who couldn't afford to cruise while my son was growing up - too busy putting food on the table. Now that he's grown and I have a better job, I can afford to cruise - once a year. I book inside cabins so that I can afford a few drinks at the bar or to take the tour that I want to take and not worry about it.

Even in retirement (if I ever get to retire), I'm not going to be able to afford to cruise multiple times a year.

It irks me slightly to hear these discussions about how special you are and all the benefits you get for being special.

Some are blessed with an abundance of $$ and time, some aren't but we're all specail in ways that don't count with the cruise lines.

OK - go ahead and start the flame throwers :)

But since you seem to prefer not to take Paul's attitude, I can give you some comfort. I live in the West. Ground transportation to get to the short cruises in the West, precludes them from being the incredible savings you think we receive. And although this year is kind of an exception, we don't typically get the discounts for west coast cruises that Floridians get for the Caribbean. It is much cheaper, usually, for a Floridian to take a 7 day cruise than for a west coaster to do a one day. (happy for them, but just saying)

Northwest coast population is spread out and thin to begin with. Princess doesn't run a bus that runs the length of the state to help you get there, like they do in Florida.

Just to clarify a few points.....Floridians don't get any better deals for the Caribbean than anyone else. Show me where a 7 night cruise is cheaper than a one night coastal because I want to book it!

Princess doesn't run a bus the length of the state to get us to the port. They used to have a contract with a shuttle bus company (that has since gone belly up) that would charge $85.00 per person from Tampa to the port in FLL round trip. So at $170 per couple, it was cheaper to rent a car. And if you are with another couple, it's even more cost savings to rent a car.

That appears to be the standard statement in the letter & I agree that all elites should go to the end of the line.

Maybe saying "go to the end of the line without requiring a tender ticket" or something similar to eliminate any confusion from those who think a black card is a 'head of the line' pass which I think most of us can infer from this statement isn't true. :rolleyes:

To me, the right implementation would be two lines.

One priority, and one for everyone else.

Everyone in the priority line should board the tender

before people are de-queued from the base line.

Once the priority line is empty, then the base line should

be de-queued.

If more people arrive in the priority line, the base line should

be stopped, and the new priority arrivals boarded.

I don't know how else you would implement prioritized queuing.

The benefit says the 'next available' tender. If they have just

released a group of ticket holders from a lounge, and you wait

for the end of that line, you won't be on the next available tender,

you'll probably be on the one after that...

Priority tended boarding could be less stressful for the people already standing on line by simply having another entrance for the Elite people which would merge at the boarding dock. The people standing by the 4 th floor elevator could be halted for a few seconds while the Elites were allowed to board.

On my last cruise (March 2012) I was speaking with the Capatain's Circle Hostess. We were discussing the CC program and she said at that time, if there are any changes, it would probably be to the Gold Members where they might get some extra perks. She did not say what those would be. As of now, there really isn't any incentive at that level to remain with Princess.

I will admit that I do not sail Princess for the perks. The first choice I make in booking a cruise is the itinerary and the date. So far Princess has worked best in that regard. The second thing I take into consideration - this may sound strange -is that if I find another cruise that I am interested in and it is comparable to a Princess cruise, I will choose Princess because I like the fresh water pools.:p

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

To me, the right implementation would be two lines.

One priority, and one for everyone else.

Everyone in the priority line should board the tender

before people are de-queued from the base line.

Once the priority line is empty, then the base line should

be de-queued.

Priority tended boarding could be less stressful for the people already standing on line by simply having another entrance for the Elite people which would merge at the boarding dock.

It seems to me that the great benefit of not having to go to a dining room, get a boarding number and then wait for that number to be called is benefit enough.

To get ahead of the relatively few people on line at the tender boarding area is not necessary.

It seems to me that the great benefit of not having to go to a dining room, get a boarding number and then wait for that number to be called is benefit enough.

To get ahead of the relatively few people on line at the tender boarding area is not necessary.

It's not the few people in the tender boarding area, it's the 50-75 people who see others arriving on the deck 4 elevator that are getting upset. If the Elites were to arrive via a different stairwell the problem would be minimized.

It seems to me that once the numbers are called and people are released from the holding area to board the tender, that tender is no longer available. Those with priority status should wait for the "first available tender".

They do go on the first available tender but they still have to get on a line & where they enter the line is where the problem occurs. No matter where or when we arrive there are always people who will be upset because they feel your cutting the line.

The best way is to go on the first tender arriving at the tender area before any people are released from the holding area.

It's not the few people in the tender boarding area, it's the 50-75 people who see others arriving on the deck 4 elevator that are getting upset. If the Elites were to arrive via a different stairwell the problem would be minimized.

I wonder where they'll put the elevator for those of us who can't do stairs? I do agree, being Elite, that we shouldn't cut in but wait our turn. It's quite enough not to have to go to get a ticket in a lounge.

I wonder where they'll put the elevator for those of us who can't do stairs? I do agree, being Elite, that we shouldn't cut in but wait our turn. It's quite enough not to have to go to get a ticket in a lounge.

They could utilize on of the crew's elevators for 2 hours during the morning rush. Surely there aren't that many Elites leaving on the first tenders to cause a problem for the crew.

It's not the few people in the tender boarding area, it's the 50-75 people who see others arriving on the deck 4 elevator that are getting upset.

I have never seen people upset when arriving people go to the end of the line.

What if all of a sudden Princess looks at their bottom line and notices that the number of Elites has doubled (due to 3 and 4 day cruises) and they can no longer provide the same benefits, thus they then decrease the benefits for everyone at that level. Would you care then? Maybe not. Just a thought.

I'll start by admitting that we are "those people" who are getting to elite through the short coastals. And yes, the numbers of elite are growing because of us. BUT, what really counts for Princess (and the other lines) is increasing profits, minimizing any losses, and positioning themselves for future profits. DH is still working so we are only able to do short cruises at present. By getting our elite with Princess it increases the probability of our loyalty when we CAN take those nice long cruises. AND by taking the one and two day cruises we help to fill a ship that needs to re-position and might otherwise be cruising empty (they are often not full now). We always bring along lots of friends on these cruises (sometimes 8 - 12, spending lots of money) and few are always first time cruisers. Honestly, half the people on board these quickies are there for the cruise credit, and the other half just want to take their first Princess, or their first EVER cruise. If the cruise credit wasn't a big perk (ie. if they only counted days) then these ships would run half empty.

The costs of the elite status perks provided for those with fewer days needs to be viewed in the bigger picture, with the loss off-sets taken into consideration.

That being said, an extra level for the 300 club would be understandable. Maybe after a few years of retirement we could benefit from it too.

Archived