Transatlantic - Barcelona To Miami November 2012 Which Side Get's More Sun?

Kitcito

I have a question regarding which side of the ship gets more sun. We are currently on the Starboard (Right Side) of the Celebrity Reflection for the November 18, 2012 transatlantic crossing. Which side get's more sun on a transatlantic goint east to west, Port or Starboard?

Any help would be great, Thanks in advance.:D

Kitcito

Topside gets the most sun.

However, on the westbound Barcelona to Miami cruise T/A the ship will go west and southwest. Most sun portside front, least sun starboard aft.

If the ship goes from Barcelona to Italy before crossing the Atlantic...... well, depends on the ports.

Marisa

The sun is always in a band slightly north and south of the equator so whichever side of the ship better faces the equator will be more sunny.

There is no difference on a ship then there is at home...the side of your house with the most southern exposure (northern if you are in the southern hemisphere) will be the sunniest.

For completeness, if your ship is going north to south or south to north, the sun always rises in the east and sets in the west so the side facing the most east will get the morning sun and the side facing the west gets the afternoon sun.

As us Brits say - we always like to go P.O.S.H

Port

Out

Starboard

Home

It is my understanding that this rule applied to passages to India, and other eastern destinations prior to air conditioned staterooms, when one would pay a premium for the shady side of the ship. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is my understanding that this rule applied to passages to India, and other eastern destinations prior to air conditioned staterooms, when one would pay a premium for the shady side of the ship. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Not heard that before, you maybe right, but for now I'll stick the only explanation I know. We always stick to it for our TA's, and boy, do we love them

POSH is what wordsmiths call a "backronym" -- a word whose letters go to making a sentence or phrase after the word itself already existed, in other words, a reverse acronym, like a mnemonic device. The word "Posh" existed and later was said to have come from "port out starboard home" but that simply isn't true. There are many other examples, including golf, Ford, Wiki, Adidas, and Arby's. As you can tell, it means different things to different ship passengers, depending on if your wanting sun or shade on the journey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym

Thanks everyone for your kind help. As this is my wife's and my first transatlantic we are a little bit nervous about it being on the chilly side as well as the roughness of the ocean as it's the last few weeks of the hurricane season.

If anyone has experience in this any comments would be helpful. We have finally gotten our roon assigned and its 6241 which is one of the deepest balconies. Talk to ya'll later.

Kitcito:D

I have a question regarding which side of the ship gets more sun. We are currently on the Starboard (Right Side) of the Celebrity Reflection for the November 18, 2012 transatlantic crossing. Which side get's more sun on a transatlantic goint east to west, Port or Starboard?

Any help would be great, Thanks in advance.:D

Kitcito

Kitcito, we chose the port side as the sun will be in the south in November, so an east to west crossing should give the port side sun from morning to night. Since we'll be taking the southern route, I've heard that we can expect it to be on the warm side. Also, from what I've read, the ocean is calmer in the south than the north. That could all change of course if we run into stormy weather.

Well, if it's any consolation, we had not very good weather on our eastbound TA on Eclipse, but the ship handled it fabulously and there were no reports of anyone getting seasick that I ever heard about. Also, there was enough to do that the weather didn't bother us one bit! If it was too cool to sit by the pool, we sat in the lovely solarium. So don't fret, you'll have a great time no matter what happens!

we did the transatlantic in November 2011 and were on port side - it was not warm at beginning of cruise but got better further south we went. Loved the cruise and would do another transatlantic again - it was very smooth and no storms - have a great trip and am sure you will love it

:)

Archived