Panama Canal question

betsyl

Is there a better time weather-wise or scenery-wise or otherwise to take the Panama Canal cruise - the westbound from FLL to San Diego in March or the return eastbound cruise in April? They are both the same # of days, the same ship, the same itineraries and same price.:confused:

Not sure about scenery, but San Diego can still be chilly in March, especially in the A.M. when the ship arrives. Something to consider, if you don't want your cruise to end up in a cooler climate. FLL will likely be much warmer either way.

I went through the canal in December. The high temps average low to mid 90s year-round, so your weather in that region shouldn't differ much regardless of which cruise you choose.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I don't see it being a big difference.

I like the West Bound cruises because during the cruise you will set the clock backwards three different times as opposed to moving it forward three times which to me is just an added plus.

Keith

There would be very little difference in the weather, particularly when you are in the Canal area. The Dry Season starts in December and runs through April in Panama and vicinity. Since price won't enter into the decision, pick the direction that works for you the best. The Canal is equally rewarding regardless of which way you go.

We did the Serenade Puerto Rico to San Diego in April. The weather was stinking hot with Temps averaging 33C on the Caribbean side and we finally thought it was chilly when we got to the Pacific side and the Temps then dropped all the way to 27C.

Weather during that time was awesome.

In general the direction (east bound or west bound) doesn't make difference. However, the ports may not be the same.

As other posters have mentioned, the dry season is from December to April. We sailed through the canal on a clear day in late December, and it's absolutely beautiful.

I did the canal in late April west to east a few years ago. The weather was hot and humid through the canal with no rain, but when we left the last Mexican port going north a cold front and heavy seas developed. Many Americans onboard stated that this was to be expected at that time of year.

We have cruised through the Panama Canal three times. The first time was in 2008 and last April we did a B2B cruises from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle.

The scenery and locks are equally interesting in either direction. However, on the first of our pair of B2B cruises we stopped in Colon. Colon offered a number of interesting shore excursions. For example, some passengers did a partial transit on a small ferry and so were able to get a completely different view of the locks. In our case we took the Panama Railroad to Balboa. My husband lived in the Canal Zone as a child, and we were able to take photos of his elementary school!

Actually for Canal people it's North Bound and South Bound - that's how the ship traffic describes transits. We just got off the full south-north in April and the weather was excellent. Whenever you go...enjoy. But, do your history homework before you leave and the trip will mean that much more to you.

Actually for Canal people it's North Bound and South Bound - that's how the ship traffic describes transits. We just got off the full south-north in April and the weather was excellent. Whenever you go...enjoy. But, do your history homework before you leave and the trip will mean that much more to you.

You're absolutely right about north-south.

I'm doing all my history reading now and it's absolutely fascinating.....makes me even more excited

Tried to post this a bit ago.. don't know where it went??!!!!

We are taking a partial transit in Nov. Wondering if immunizations are needed?? Taking tours in Cartegena and Costa Rica...

First timers with Princess Thanks for any info..

“We are taking a partial transit in Nov. Wondering if immunizations are needed??

I'm a newbie to central America, but the experienced regulars here tell me that you don't need any immunizations anymore.

I still got all of my shots for overindulgence, just in case. ;)

You astute posters please confirm...I don't want to see this poor person riddled with yellow fever if it is preventable, yes? :confused:

Whatever immunizations that you would normally have for where you live should be sufficient for travel to the Panama region as well. Unless you will be far from populated urban areas, way off the beaten path and at night there is not a huge risk of encountering something dreadful. If you check with your health professional (often they are the belt and suspenders types and are extremely cautious, recommending every vaccine known;)) they maybe able to provide some guidance. I've been to the area several times (on a cruise) and have not had any vaccinations for the trip.

Disclaimer...... I'm not a doctor or any other health professional, in fact I did not even stay in a Holiday Inn last night!!

Whatever immunizations that you would normally have for where you live should be sufficient for travel to the Panama region as well. Unless you will be far from populated urban areas, way off the beaten path and at night there is not a huge risk of encountering something dreadful. If you check with your health professional (often they are the belt and suspenders types and are extremely cautious, recommending every vaccine known;)) they maybe able to provide some guidance. I've been to the area several times (on a cruise) and have not had any vaccinations for the trip.

Disclaimer...... I'm not a doctor or any other health professional, in fact I did not even stay in a Holiday Inn last night!!

Thanks for your response.... guess we are all set...:D

• 4 weeks later...

This is an excellent tip, one I had not thought of, but one that I AGREE with a lot.

Update: This reply did not seem to get attached to the original comment, so, it was meaningless.

The " good tip " is about sailing East to West, towards CA., in order to allow for setting the clocks back 3 times instead of having to set them forward 3 times during the cruise.

However, in the end, you will lose the some hours eventually, in this case, on the flight TO FL either to begin or end the trip.

Archived