Alaska photos

don'tleavewithoutme

Recently did a solo trip on the Island Princess, Northbound Vancouver to Whittier, May 23-30.

I booked an Oceanview room on the Baja deck that looked out onto the aft public balcony - it was perfect for running outside for pictures or to check the weather as well as to visit with others out there braving the elements.

Also used the cruise to try out a new camera - a Nikon Coolpix P510 with a 42x zoom. Some of the pictures are not as clear as I would like, because I was using the maximum zoom handheld for all of them. :o Here's a link to the pictures - it was fun to capture the wildlife with a long lens on a small camera.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzV54LG

Enjoyed the Glacier Bay day in the Sanctuary, no jostling for rail space, and I wouldn't have seen the bear with cubs without a fellow passenger there spotting them. Those animals were not noticed by the ranger on board.

Great trip, have already booked a cruise tour for next May!

Thanks for posting--your pictures are great!:)

I was interested in your Whitepass Summit RR pics. We are thinking of doing the bus up and train down trip. From your pics it looks like you started in fog, had good weather near Emerald Lake and Carcross and had rain at the BC/AK border. It does not look like the iffy weather impacted your trip. How was it?

Weather was great up in the Yukon. Used Chilkoot Charters to take the train up and bus into Yukon and then back down. Skagway was a bit damp, but not bad.

Chilkoot Charters commandeers a whole train car, so it wasn't crowded. It was cold enough that the windows steamed up some in spite of the heater on board. Most of the time I stayed out on the "porch" at the end of the car so I could get better photos!

Thanks for posting your pics. I'm trying to decided whether to buy a new camera before our cruise in August. I have a little Fuji digital camera that takes decent photos of scenery, but it doesn't have much of a zoom.

Archived