Celebrity Customer Service - What DO they know

jerseygirl3

So I had to call Celebrity yesterday with a question regarding Equinox. During our conversation, the rep stated, "oh, btw, the Equinox has recently undergone a change-over to a Solstice-class ship."

Seriously??????

Jo-Ann

It's honestly amazing how much they DON'T know. Don't they have manuals to read up on? It sounds like they all work in a big call center answering phones for multiple businesses--what is their function since they can't accurately answer questions about anything that happens onboard??

The worst I heard was when they told someone they could not have beer in their cabin--when it's right there in the mini-fridge!

That's right.. my best friend called about finding out if they do a hold amount on her debit card, as she doesn't have a cc... I told her she needed to at least put some cash down or get a little obc so it wouldn't go to debit right away and do that, but she 'had' to call and see for herself and they told her 'no, we don't do that'... sure...

every cruise line I know of, does that... oh well... she'll learn the hard way, I guess.

It's honestly amazing how much they DON'T know. Don't they have manuals to read up on? It sounds like they all work in a big call center answering phones for multiple businesses--what is their function since they can't accurately answer questions about anything that happens onboard??

The worst I heard was when they told someone they could not have beer in their cabin--when it's right there in the mini-fridge!

:cool::cool:When I feel a need to call them, I always ask for the "Help Desk." Usually I get to talk with someone who is versed in Celebrity's ways of operating. :cool::cool:

I called once inre to an issue we had while on board and asked for future OBC as I felt it was due. I was told "we don't do that?? Amazing! I escalated this the gal I spoke with was astounded by this reply. She said they have "a lot of wiggle room" for such issues and offered far more than what I thought was due. :)

She asked for his name too and I think he got a pretty good "reeducation" :rolleyes: as to proper CS.

Hi Everyone,

My experiences with Celebrity have been far better than many other companies, and better than it was vs. a year ago. I spoke with a Captains Club rep a few weeks ago, who was clearly new. She very friendly, and when she didn't know the answer, she put me on a brief hold, and returned with the right information. I'm fine with that. It's when you get the misinformed/bizarre responses, that it gets quite frustrating.

Unfortunately, less than perfect customer service is widespread on many Cruise lines, and most everywhere these days. Ever try to talk with HP support ? They are overseas, and I can never understand the person, let alone get anything accomplished !

Sadly, many companies are fearing another big economic downturn (rightly so IMO). Management and the financial folks are watching every penny. One of the places they often look to cut-back is customer support, and training and ongoing education of the product. IMO, I feel it's a poor decision... and hurts the company over the long term. There are many other places they should be looking. If they are smart - Companies can often run leaner without sacrificing the consumer's experience. After all, shouldn't the customer be their highest priority ? I surely think so.

On the bright side, Celebrity's customer service hasn't moved to Mumbai... yet :). May it *never* happen.

I agree in that better, not cut back CS leads to customer satisfaction AND a better chance of repeat business.

As for Your HP CS experience that's unfortunate. For me dealing with Apple care has been 9.5/10. I am very happy with them.

But I did speak to someone in the Phillipines with Choice Air. She assured me that 45 minutes was plenty of time to change planes in Houston in Feb., arriving on a domestic flight connecting to an international flight to Buenos Aires. The international flight would not fly out again for 24 hours.

I had to look on the computer while she was on hold and find an earlier domestic flight.

Rule #1: If you call celebrity customer service with a question, get the answer from the rep. Then call back and ask the same question and if you get the same answer you now have a 50% chance that it's right.

Rule #2: If Celebrity Customer service offers to call you back or have someone else call you back they are working on the premise that "a customer no longer on the phone no longer has a problem" and they want to get you off the phone. Don't wait for the call, call back immediately and speak to someone else.

Rule #3: Never call customer service with a question until you have asked here first and/or called your travel agent and asked the question.

Rule #4: Unless you have written confirmation from Customer Service on an answer...with the name of the person who gave you the answer...you don't have an answer, you have, at best, a guess that you could have gotten from your taxi driver...and it has just about as much validity.

I so totally agree with the rules from GHStudio! I feel like most of my conversations with Customer Service were a waste of time sitting and waiting while they "researched" an answer (things that CS should know). After I got one answer, I would call back and ask the same question to different rep and get a totally different answer! I'm really skeptical about believing anything that has been said. But, I'm going on our cruise (18 more days!) with the attitude that the cruise will be far better than the phone reps.

I so totally agree with the rules from GHStudio! I feel like most of my conversations with Customer Service were a waste of time sitting and waiting while they "researched" an answer (things that CS should know). After I got one answer, I would call back and ask the same question to different rep and get a totally different answer! I'm really skeptical about believing anything that has been said. But, I'm going on our cruise (18 more days!) with the attitude that the cruise will be far better than the phone reps.

AND THE WINNER IS.....

You will find far more information (with a FAR higher accuracy rate!) here on CC than any cruiseline customer service rep. Not to mention that any inaccurate CC posts get corrected almost instantly by others. AND... its a whole lot more fun here!!!:D

That's why we all keep coming back--the actual cruises are great!! It's the training of the CS staff thats so lacking. The onboard personnel for the most part know their jobs inside and out.

Same thing if you were to call them and ask about a particular cabin on an S-Class ship -- where is the bed located. They wouldn't have a clue, and should they?

Where the bed is located in a particular cabin is a very specific, trivial question. I would not expect a rep to know that. What class a specific ship is in and when it was built? That should be common knowledge. Sad if it is not.

Host Andy is right about customer service and the cruiselines. It seems like I've received bad information from several of them. Royal Caribbean is particularly bad. I think the CS reps just make things up to get you off the phone. I had a rep call me once to tell my that my cruise had been canceled. I had 3 cruises booked with them at the time. She told me that my Med cruise leaving in two days was the one that was canceled. Obviously I freaked out! It was really one that was leaving in 10 months, but she had the wrong information.

Travel agents can be equally bad. Not all, just some. I used a TA once because they had a good special for a cruise I wanted. After making the booking I realized that I know more about cruising than he did. I don't use that agent anymore.

I won't say that I've always received correct information here either. I guess the best thing is to ask the same question 5 times in different places (here, CS reps, TA) and see how many identical responses that you get.

Host Andy: I have 4 computers - 1 Dell, 2 HP, & 1 Toshiba. The best customer support has been from Toshiba. I can understand about 75% of what they say. Dell & HP are both useless. It's usually easier to go online to search for a fix than call their reps. The downside to Toshiba is their custom configurations are limited so you have to do some aftermarket work to really get what you want.

Host Andy: I have 4 computers - 1 Dell, 2 HP, & 1 Toshiba. The best customer support has been from Toshiba. I can understand about 75% of what they say. Dell & HP are both useless. It's usually easier to go online to search for a fix than call their reps. The downside to Toshiba is their custom configurations are limited so you have to do some aftermarket work to really get what you want.

My dad works for IBM, though he works on Delta Airlines account... it's complicated, but he monitors netcool and systems as it's serious if they go down- no booking flights, data in air..etc...

I call Captains Club directly even if my issue is not specific to CC and have always gotten good results. The regular customer service line employees handle calls for Royal, Azamara and X.

Ummmm - I called the Captains Club line once, I booked a cruise, easy, then I asked some questions that the CSR was clueless over. I was puzzled and let my puzzlement known.

The Captains Club CSR told me she normally answers calls for Royal's Diamond+ line.

So - there is some cross-over at Mother Royal.

Now - this may have been a weekend as I have called Captains Club subsequently and was told "all" Captains Club reps are located in Miami at Celebrity HQ., (Royal's Diamond + reps are in Wisconsin) and have recieved really great service to include answering some out of the way questions (I am new to X - been Royal cruiser for years)

I have a test for them today - I have future X cruises booked and besides the normal thanks for booking emails I have recieved 20% off Speciality restaurants emails if I reserve right now. Well............going into my reservation I am naturally told they are not taking reservations for my cruise yet - try back when the cruise is closer.

So I'm going to call today and ask for a reservation with the 20% discount.

Help Desk - didn't know they had one - thanks!

g

Ummmm - I called the Captains Club line once, I booked a cruise, easy, then I asked some questions that the CSR was clueless over. I was puzzled and let my puzzlement known.

The Captains Club CSR told me she normally answers calls for Royal's Diamond+ line.

So - there is some cross-over at Mother Royal.

Now - this may have been a weekend as I have called Captains Club subsequently and was told "all" Captains Club reps are located in Miami at Celebrity HQ., (Royal's Diamond + reps are in Wisconsin) and have recieved really great service to include answering some out of the way questions (I am new to X - been Royal cruiser for years)

I have a test for them today - I have future X cruises booked and besides the normal thanks for booking emails I have recieved 20% off Speciality restaurants emails if I reserve right now. Well............going into my reservation I am naturally told they are not taking reservations for my cruise yet - try back when the cruise is closer.

So I'm going to call today and ask for a reservation with the 20% discount.

Help Desk - didn't know they had one - thanks!

g

"Normal" thanks for booking e-mails? They're not normal--you must be special. :D

Just a clue about the 20% off at the specialty restaurants--aren't you booked in a suite? Suites get two free specialty restaurant dinners for two for the length of our cruises next May. Your butler will help you book those once you get on board.

"Normal" thanks for booking e-mails? They're not normal--you must be special. :D

Just a clue about the 20% off at the specialty restaurants--aren't you booked in a suite? Suites get two free specialty restaurant dinners for two for the length of our cruises next May. Your butler will help you book those once you get on board.

You know, when you're right, you're right! The two reservations were not right on my mind, but a 20% discount was something I wanted to snag as the fees in X Speciality Restaurants are higher than what I am use to. $25pp is what I am use to unless it was a wine pairing or a Chef's Table experience.

I was thinking of a speciality on the 1st night. Are they even open? I could see a couple visits to Qsine.....

"Your butler" is something I am going to have to get use to as you will see when you read my other post on the TA thread. Concierge is what I am use to! Hahahaha

Oh - and I am anything but special - but we did get a welcome and have a great cruise email. Maybe because I booked directly through the cruise line as each listed the name of the CSR I spoke with.

g

You know, when you're right, you're right! The two reservations were not right on my mind, but a 20% discount was something I wanted to snag as the fees in X Speciality Restaurants are higher than what I am use to. $25pp is what I am use to unless it was a wine pairing or a Chef's Table experience.

I was thinking of a speciality on the 1st night. Are they even open? I could see a couple visits to Qsine.....

"Your butler" is something I am going to have to get use to as you will see when you read my other post on the TA thread. Concierge is what I am use to! Hahahaha

Oh - and I am anything but special - but we did get a welcome and have a great cruise email. Maybe because I booked directly through the cruise line as each listed the name of the CSR I spoke with.

g

Yes, the specialty restaurants will be open the first night. And they will probably give you a 20% discount on the ship for the first night.

I like to go to the MDR the first night; check out the table, the waiter, and the tablemates.

Archived