Saguenay shore excursion?

canadarocks

I've done an advanced search, but I can't really find any Cruise Critic information on Saguenay shore excursions (either HAL or otherwise). We will spend a full day docked there on the Eurodam, and we don't want to miss out on anything that is "not to be missed".

What would you recommend we do during our day in Saguenay? :confused:

I see nine excursions listed for Saguenay. Just go to HAL's web page and click on 'excursions', then select Canada/New England. Scroll down and click on Saguenay. You will find them there. We have never been to Saguenay either. We are looking at two: 'Pioneer Road' and 'Live the Ice Age.' Good luck.

I loved Saguenay even though there wasn't a heck of a lot of options there. I did the hop on hop off bus there. The weather was quite rainy that day so I didn't hop off much:D. The people were very nice there and the market at the pier had some cool things. It had really good internet access that I could connect to right from the ship. That was a little side bonus.

When we were there last month we rented a car and drove to the National Park of Saguenay. It was gorgeous. We hiked quite awhile through the woods -- lots of waterfalls -- and went to the Visitors' Center.

We had a lot more time there than the tours allow.

When we were there last month we rented a car and drove to the National Park of Saguenay. It was gorgeous. We hiked quite awhile through the woods -- lots of waterfalls -- and went to the Visitors' Center.

We had a lot more time there than the tours allow.

Oh, that sounds nice. Wish there would be another option to get there besides renting a car.

Oh, that sounds nice. Wish there would be another option to get there besides renting a car.

IIRC, there were some ship's tours that included walking in the national part. One was really hiking and another was an easier stroll.

Whem we were there, we did the HoHo bus, and enjoyed walking around tha Chicoutimi area.

This was an added stop for us as we missed our first three stops due to Hurricane Irene last summer. We chose a ship's tour that involved a bus ride down and a boat ride back. We had a very short hike. The boat part was really just a repeat of what the ship had already done to get there but with more info and a closer look. It was enjoyable but the boat parts seemed long.

IIRC, there were some ship's tours that included walking in the national part. One was really hiking and another was an easier stroll.

Thanks for the info. Maybe as soon as I saw hiking I ignored it:D. I don't mind exercise but if it's steep or I can fall down that's not good. I've got to watch my brittle bones at my advanced age;).

That's right, we saw them (both tours) when we were there. One of the hikes was too easy for us and the other was a little too much. :eek: We had reached the top (we thought) but when we asked the tour guide how much further to the top, she said another half-mile (straight up!) We turned around then. :D

Thanks for the responses so far. Can we just catch the HoHo bus after we disembark? Is it right at the port?

Yes, that's what I did. Can't remember how much it was but it was quite reasonable. Thank you for starting this thread. I think i'm going to do a repositioning cruise on the Eurodam in Oct.2013 so this has provided great info.

Edited by lorekauf

We went to this last year and it was probably the hi-lite of tours of all ten days on the Eurodam. The music, and staging is very unique, and although the songs are in French, there is an English commentary throughout the show. The complete production is put on by volunteers and it would give New York a run for its money. Some of the unique special effects liking watching a field of wheat grow before your eye or a team of horses pulling a wagon across the huge stage is fascinating. We would give this top billing.

We went to this last year and it was probably the hi-lite of tours of all ten days on the Eurodam. The music, and staging is very unique, and although the songs are in French, there is an English commentary throughout the show. The complete production is put on by volunteers and it would give New York a run for its money. Some of the unique special effects liking watching a field of wheat grow before your eye or a team of horses pulling a wagon across the huge stage is fascinating. We would give this top billing.

Wow, that's a glowing review! Thanks!! :)

• 2 years later...

we are considering the show "La Fabuleuse Adventure" in Saguenay. Is it in english? (besides the songs) can you book online instead of through the ship? Can you walk to the performance from the ship? any recommendations on what we should not miss at this port?

thanks

• 1 month later...
we are considering the show "La Fabuleuse Adventure" in Saguenay. Is it in english? (besides the songs) can you book online instead of through the ship? Can you walk to the performance from the ship? any recommendations on what we should not miss at this port?

thanks

I wondered the same thing. I think they put on the English performances only when cruise ships are in port so it may only be available through the cruise lines. I see Seabourn charges $79 whereas regular tickets to the French version are $51 online.

We visited Saguenay in May last year and they went all out to welcome us with an awesome singing & dancing exhibition at the pier complete with teepee, fire, and wood sawing. Very friendly people here, with a comfortable terminal that had free wifi and some interesting unique craft shops. They have an excellent local version of a hop on hop off bus right outside the terminal, it was $15 last year and they accepted both Canadian & American dollars. For one price you got access to two different routes with bilingual guides on board and then another one hopped on at each stop to give you more information - it is awesome value for money so I recommend doing that. The people we met here are very proud of their town and I think they make a fantastic effort to welcome tourists. They had a major flood in 1996 and one of the 'attractions' is the big pyramid made out of traffic yield signs as a reminder to yield to nature, it’s quite cool.

It is also less than 10 minutes from the pier to walk along the flat waterfront to the town centre & a church, and there was also a market here if you do not want to do the bus or another tour. Or just stop off here at the end of the hop on hop off bus ride and walk back to the ship if it's a nice day and you have time. Here is a link to the bus; http://tourisme.saguenay.ca/en/activites-et-attraits/circuits-et-tours-guides/autobus-touristique

We were their last Fall for the day. The weather was beautiful. We chose the HAL excursion that took us to the National Park. It was quite a relaxing and enjoyable trip. After returning, we then wondered around town.

Nice city to visit and the people are charming.

harry