Fish in Celebrity Dining Rooms

4getmenot

I've been perusing Celebrity MDR, Blu and specialty restaurant menus and I was delighted by all the delicious fish they serve. But then I noticed from the food pictures that all of them are served with skin-on which is a deal breaker for me. Is this typical? Is it a cruise line thing or a cultural thing? When I sailed with NCL and 90% of the time fish entrees are served with the skin removed. Just wondering if I could have any skinless fish at one of the S-class restaurants.

I'm seeing more and more than skin-on fish is a classier thing with fine dining, as the skin becomes crispy and many people do eat it. As someone who does not like skin, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is incredibly easy to remove the skin after the fish is cooked rather than before. It's too bad that it is a dealbreaker if the skin can't be removed (and most of the time if the fish is pre-portioned it cannot be).

In speciality restaurants ask your waiter to order fish without the skin. Alternatively a good waiter will remove the skin before serving you if you ask. As 'boston_scientist' says once the fish is cooked it is so easy to remove any fish skin. A chef likes to cook with the skin on because it holds the fish flakes together for neater presentation.

I have enjoyed the fish/seafood dishes on X. I guess a couple times there has been skin on the piece of fish. Not every dish for sure. You can peel it back easily or ask your waiter to peel it back before serving the plate. You might lose the sauce or seasoning tho. If you have a regular table and waiter, (traditional dining) once you express your feelings re the skin, he/she will remove it without you asking more than once.

Well, at least be thankful they don't serve you fish with the head on.

I am recalling our first trips to Europe how surprised we were to order fish in restaurants and have it served on the plate with the head still on it.

Sorry, I cannot eat a fish that is looking at me. :)

In speciality restaurants ask your waiter to order fish without the skin. Alternatively a good waiter will remove the skin before serving you if you ask. As 'boston_scientist' says once the fish is cooked it is so easy to remove any fish skin. A chef likes to cook with the skin on because it holds the fish flakes together for neater presentation.

They will remove the skin if you ask.

I was surprised to learn on my last cruise that all the fish is frozen. They don't have or serve fresh fish.

Not only that. On our cruise from Australia to New Zealand, they served South African fish. Both OZ and NZ have beautiful, fresh fish.

Thanks everyone. I guess the problem with taking the skin off after cooking is that the layer of grayish fat(also a deal-breaker for me) underneath the skin is very hard to take off from what I recall. I know, I'm kind of high maintenance. We are in AQ so will be eating in Blu most of the time. I guess I will just have to make it specific to the waiter that I only eat just the fillet.

Well, at least be thankful they don't serve you fish with the head on.

I am recalling our first trips to Europe how surprised we were to order fish in restaurants and have it served on the plate with the head still on it.

Sorry, I cannot eat a fish that is looking at me. :)

At least you've never had to eat this said head ;). Trust me, the fish eyes are as gross as they look.

We eat a good deal of fish in the MDR, and I dont really remember fish with the skin being served. Most was grilled, with sauces and so on. Enjoyed most of them....didnt like much the fish with a tomato-based sauce, not one of my favorites.

So taking the skin off would work, but my experience is it wasnt that common at all.

Den

You should ask your waiter how the fish is prepared/served... if it's served with the skin on, ask for it to be removed before serving. You don't need to see it!

I've found X's fish to be hit or miss in the freshness department. I still order it, but if it's not good I ask for a different dinner. I know it's frozen, that's okay. If it's old when it's frozen, though, it's not going to be any good when thawed. X has no control over that... so I don't complain, but I do order a second choice!

I was recently on the Eclipse and enjoyed many a fish meal in the main dining room, none with skin, but in the Tuscan grill my fish was served with skin, which is where most of the flavoring and spices are. It is rather crispy and easily removed but then you will also remove the delicious flavor. I promise, just try it once, it isn't that slimy skin that you are probably expecting. If you don't like it, your waiter will remove it and dispose of it for you but it is best cooked with skin on and served with the skin as you will lose most of the flavor if done prior to.

We are not meat or chicken eaters and have fish or veggie meals each night.....the moistest and tastiest fish are prepared with skin on and they require less butter " flavor hiding" sauces .... Last year when traveling overseas my kids paid me 5 dollar to eat the eye from our fish served whole....it was the funest 5 bucks I ever earned... Ummm but next time I'd require more money for the same trick. ;)

When we were in the Loire Valley post cruise, our waiter recommended a local dish that apparently went well with the aperitifs. We said okay without knowing exactly what we'd ordered. When it arrived, it was a bowlful of tiny fried whole fish, eyes and all. I couldn't bring myself to eat any, but DH said they were really good. At one point I said, practicing my schoolgirl French, "Je n'aime pas manger les petits poissons avec les yeux!" and the waiter overheard me and cracked up. Yuck!

I was hoping to "learn" to like fish on our upcoming Alaskan cruise. So even in Alaska we won't get fresh fish on the ship?

I would think you should get fresh salmon, but just maybe "fresh frozen"? :D

I was hoping to "learn" to like fish on our upcoming Alaskan cruise. So even in Alaska we won't get fresh fish on the ship?

There are tons of places that you can get fresh fish n chips at the ports. Salmon, halibut (Mmmm, tasty tasty halibut - very mild white fish) etc.

Also, had some delicious salmon at Orca Point Lodge on some whale watching excursion we did.

Archived