Please give me some advice on 2 itineraries

Please give me some insight on these 2 itineraries as I am finding it hard to decide now.

I was pretty set on the wonderful itinerary Norwegian is going to do next year:

Venice, Athens/Piraeus, Izmir, Istanbul, Mykonos, Naples, Rome/Civitavecchia, Livorno, Toulon, Barcelona

Reason I love it - it seems to include some of the best first-timer ports of call including the highly regarded Istanbul!

but now I have also become interested by an itinerary by Carnival:

Venice -> Dubrovnik -> Messina, Sicily, Italy -> Naples -> Rome -> Florence -> Marseille -> Monaco -> Palma de Mallorca -> Barcelona

the reason is, I have heard a lot about Monaco and would love to stop there (no land trips to this expensive place for me!) and it seems that there are not that many ships that call at this port. (at least not many that I can afford). In short, I am starting to wonder if I should do this itinerary and then catch a cruise to the east side to do Athens/Istanbul/Kusadasi another time. Those ports seem to be a lot more popular and easy to find on itineraries (?) The other thought is that it sails through Messina (is it cool to sail through the straight of Messina, or overrated?)

What do you all think?

I know that everyone has a different interest etc and only I should decide and such, but it does help very much to get some perspective/opinions from those who have been to those parts of the world.

I think the Norwegian itinerary is better.

There are quite a few ships that make calls to Monaco. You just have to look for Western Med itineraries.

But for a first-time cruise, I rate the first one higher. Palma is kind of a so-so port, and I would not trade Istanbul, Izmir, and Athens for Dubrovnik and Messina.

Istanbul is really special. The journey there is lovely- so much to see thru the Dardenelles.

I agree that Monaco is absolutely lovely and I am a big fan.

I did both the Western Med and the Eastern Med and from a cruising standpoint I enjoyed the Eastern Med more. I'd do the Norwegian one.

Our first Med cruise we did a very interesting itinerary that included Rome, Naples, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Livorno, Villefranche(Monaco) Toulon and Barcelona. It was a reposting cruise for the Brilliance OTS before she went back to the Caribbean for the winter. While we enjoyed this cruise our next one blew us away..............

We did Celebrity Solstice including Rome, Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul(overnight) Kusadasi, Athens, Naples and back to Rome.

We enjoyed it so much we did our third cruise last November and did almost the same cruise : Rome, Crete, Athens, Istanbul, Kusadasi, Sicily, Naples and back to Rome.

As for Monaco, interesting but not all that. Mostly a lot of expensive stores. We did enjoy the palace and the Jacques Cousteau Oceanographic museum and we also visited Eze and a short visit in Nice. Long day but nice.

But compared to Istanbul, Athens and Ephesus(from Kusadasi) it doesn't even come close :o

Unanimous so far :)

To bear in mind for a future cruise - altho' few cruise ships call at Monte Carlo, a huge number call at Nice / Villefranches / Cannes, and its a short & pleasant journey by train to Monte Carlo, undertaken by a huge proportion of cruisers using those ports

JB :)

this is why i love these boards - very unanimous so far as was said and very helpful.

quick question - it seems like a lot of people take a train to monte carlo if in those other french ports. Is it still a good idea then to look out for cruises that dock in monte carlo in particular in the future (as in, is it a nice place to dock out of all of them/beautiful port/view etc), or are they all pretty much the same?

texancruzer, what ports in particular blew you away in your second cruise? Was it Istanbul in particular (that everyone raves about :) ) or did the others, such as Santorini play a huge key as well? (I've heard awesome things of Santorini too!)

2 great itineraries but this would be an easy decision for me too. Monaco is fun but nothing that special and sailing the Straits of Messina is nothing to write home about. So it's got to be Norwegian and Istanbul. All the best, Tony

NalCruiser: Please give me some insight on these 2 itineraries as I am finding it hard to decide now. I was pretty set on the wonderful itinerary Norwegian is going to do next year:

Venice' date=' Athens/Piraeus, Izmir, Istanbul, Mykonos, Naples, Rome/Civitavecchia, Livorno, Toulon, Barcelona

but now I have also become interested by an itinerary by Carnival:

Venice -> Dubrovnik -> Messina, Sicily, Italy -> Naples -> Rome -> Florence -> Marseille -> Monaco -> Palma de Mallorca -> Barcelona [/quote']

Either way, starting in Venice and finishing in Barcelona is super, super wonderful. Can't lose either way. BUT, I agree with the other wise posters in noting the greatness of Istanbul as being the "frosting on the cake" in deciding between two good potentials!! Plus, you'll have and love Mykonos, Ephesus, etc. Below are a few of my pictures to highlight some of what makes these three so great. Dubrovnik is wonderful, but these others are much better, overall, assuming you like these kinds of great, unique places.

Much also depends on what you like and love. Tell us more about your personal interests, travel style, past Europe travels, etc.

Also check out:

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Reactions and added questions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 88,898 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here was our first view of Istanbul in 2006 from our just-docking cruise ship as we smelled the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city. YES, you could really smell how “special” is this unique city with so much culture, charm and interest!:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Istanbul’s famed Blue Mosque:

1A-Istanbul-BlueMosque.jpg

In 1856, Sultan Abdul Mecid I moved his court to the newly-built Dolmabahce Palace, the first European-style palace in the city. Located on the European side of the Bosporus, it served as the main administrative center of the Ottoman Empire from 1856 to 1922. Fourteen tons of gold in the form of gold leaf were used to gild the ceilings. It is the largest palace in Turkey. The world's largest Bohemian crystal chandelier is in the center hall of the palace. A gift from Queen Victoria, it has 750 lamps and weighs 4.5 tons. Dolmabahce has the largest collection of Bohemian and Baccarat crystal chandeliers in the world and one of the great staircases has bannisters of Baccarat crystal. Below the outside of this “new” Palace used by Sultans in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-NewPalaceOutside.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing! Ephesus has the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this large, 25,000 seat outdoor theater in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul did a famed sermon condemning pagan worship. He spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

[quote name=NalCruiser;34226663

texancruzer' date=' what ports in particular blew you away in your second cruise? Was it Istanbul in particular (that everyone raves about :) ) or did the others, such as Santorini play a huge key as well? (I've heard awesome things of Santorini too!)[/quote]

Nal: Rome is our favorite city in the world (so far ;) ) and Santorini is a place everyone should go at least once !!!! Mykonos was our least favorite but still had a great day. Istanbul is amazing....... and we stayed overnight on the ship so we got to experience it at night too. Kusadasi is the gateway to Ephesus and we also did a jeep tour into the mountains...... Athens is a place I have wanted to go since I was a little girl - it did not disappoint me :) Naples (been 3 times now) is also a great port, with Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. Capri is close too so many choices for a stupendous day.

I would have to say that it wasn't just one port - but all of them. The whole cruise was just perfect. Each place had its own unique things that kept us entranced. We loved the food in this area..... the Turks use spices like no one else and the Greeks have their yummy items too. We found the people of Turkey to be reserved but very friendly and accommodating to tourists. We are the type of travelers who sometimes like to get off the beaten path and experience "untouristy" things but not always.

We did almost the same cruise (with 2 ports replaced) last November even though we usually try to do different ports as we normally like to experience new ones since there are just so many new places to visit. But the ones we went to again were ones we wanted to experience more of for a multitude of reasons. We found we loved Crete and is one we could easily go back and visit again - Sicily was nice but not a burning desire to go again altho I love love love Italy (the food, the people and well, just everything!)

As for docking in Monte Carlo, I believe that most ships (the larger ones anyway) tender here. I know we had to tender in Villefranche (which is only 5 miles from Monaco as the crow flies) It does add another dimension to figuring out your day and what can and can't be done as it eats up precious port time.

Don't get me wrong, we thoroughly enjoyed the So. of France but I would take the Eastern Med over the Western. Hope this info helps. Whatever cruise you do - you will enjoy - you will be in Europe !!!!!!!!!

It is so easy to get to Monaco by land. It is close to France and Italy where you can stay and eat less expensively.

On the other hand your more Eastern Itinerary has places not so easily visited on a land tour. Istanbul is amazing. I hope you have an overnight there. Turkey is so great we hope to go back for a land tour soon.

I really was wow'ed by Turkey also. It exceeded my expectations and I especially enjoyed our day in Ephesus and the TERRACE HOUSES. I really want to emphasize the TERRACE HOUSES because the rest of Ephesus is interesting but the terrace houses are largely intact and still have the painted murals on the walls and mosaic tile floors. You really get to see how grandly people lived back then.

I want to add that in Istanbul we did a ship tour for ease but they spent very little time at the Topkapi Palace, which I thought was more interesting than the Blue Mosque. They also constantly tout the Turkish rugs and stop for a carpet making demonstration. We were there at the carpet demo for an hour, which would have been better spent at the sites.

The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace are 1,2,3 in the same spot. Easy DIY and not far from the ship ( warning heavy traffic on weekdays- less traffic on weekends). The Grand Bazaar is closeby to these sites also (closed on Sunday and holidays). The other thing that people raved about is the Basilica Cisterns, which I was unaware of. If you hire a guide you might be able to skip the lines, etc. I would only do a guide if I was ensured that they wouldn't try to sell me a Turkish carpet the whole time!

Having Istanbul, Kusadasi, as well as Mykonos and Monte Carlo, Rome, Naples, Livorno and Athens as ports, Embarking in Venice and Ending in Barcelona is exactly why we ended up booking this cruise..

You can have it all!

quick question - it seems like a lot of people take a train to monte carlo if in those other french ports. Is it still a good idea then to look out for cruises that dock in monte carlo in particular in the future (as in, is it a nice place to dock out of all of them/beautiful port/view etc), or are they all pretty much the same?

Nal - we lived in Nice for a couple of years. Monte Carlo is definitely an interesting, beautiful place. But, the beauty of the Riviera is in the smaller villages and the sea. I would rank, Eze, St Paul de Vence, Antibes, Cannes, St Jean-Cap Ferrat, Villefranche and Nice above Monte Carlo. (You must go back to see this area. It is unbelievabiy beautiful.) Get a good guidebook or do a lot of googling. See what interests you most. Distances between Nice, Villefranche and Monaco are not large. Just consecutive train stops. You should go to Monaco some time, but the rest of the area is superb.

My vote, hands down, is the Norwegian itinerary. Livorno is the port for Florence/Pisa. Toulon and Marseille are roughly equivalent - make it a point of having bouillabaise in either port, or at least "moules-frites" - mussels and fries!. Palma is fun, but a lot of other places are priorities. Put the Dalmatian Coast on your wish list.

Please, allow for a couple of extra days in Venice and Barcelona. One day only does not do them justice. Venice is sheer beauty. Barcelona is the liveliest, funkiest city you will ever see.

thank you for all this incredible insight so far!

I have to ask about this itinerary I saw somewhere (trying to find it again) but also start in Venice end in Barcelona and ports were Dubrovnik, Izmir, Athens, Messina, Livorno, ROme, Monte Carlo

how does that compare to the Norwegian itinerary? There's Izmir, Athens and Monte Carlo, but not Istanbul or Naples...

TLCOhio, as I mentioned before you blow me away with your photos! What lens do you use, if I may ask? As I have said to you before, you have a great eye! I know that's what makes all the magic.

Matcodixon, Princess Grand does sound like it has it all! But when does it sail? for some reason I didnt see this itinerary!

All the responses so far have been exciting and informative to read!

texancruzer, thanks for all the insight! You are making me drool over all these places!

TLCOhio, as I mentioned before you blow me away with your photos! What lens do you use, if I may ask? As I have said to you before, you have a great eye! I know that's what makes all the magic.

Appreciate your nice comments on my pictures! On the camera, I now have a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing, plus Nikon 18-55mm, 55-300mm lenses and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle. Probably 80% of my shots are taken with that 18-55mm zoom cover a nice range of views for wide to closer. That camera also has 1080HD video capability that works well with our new grandson (now 20-months-old) and another grandchild due August 1. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing, subject and creative view options.

In part, it's the camera. BUT, just like with an artist, it's not exactly the paintbrush that does the "magic". It is, more so, some basics, key secrets such as:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That is easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and poor ones.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more creative angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lean against and lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to sharing only your "best of the best" pictures.

See more details and ideas at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 89,175 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Matcodixon, Princess Grand does sound like it has it all! But when does it sail? for some reason I didnt see this itinerary!

It is on the brand new Royal Princess starting next June and is going all summer. It is on the Ruby Princess this year. It is the most popular Mediterranean Itinerary that Princess has.

I guess I'm the contrary child at the seder. Neither itinerary looks that good IMO. Why would you want to limit yourself to one day in Istanbul? Or Rome? Or Florence?

Both itineraries are a mishmosh. Just a bit of Greece, Spain, Italy, etc.

Not sure what your budget is, so that may hinder people from advising other trips.

I think if you want to do a Greek cruise, pick one that is all Greece (last year we were in SS Spirit from ATH-IST. If you want to go to Istanbul that badly (it is awesome) pick a cruise that starts/ends there. That way you could extend. If you've never been to Italy (I have not) maybe a land tour is the best if you really want to see Rome/Florence/Venice.

Just my 2 cents.

I guess I'm the contrary child at the seder. Neither itinerary looks that good IMO. Why would you want to limit yourself to one day in Istanbul? Or Rome? Or Florence?

Both itineraries are a mishmosh. Just a bit of Greece, Spain, Italy, etc.

Not sure what your budget is, so that may hinder people from advising other trips.

I think if you want to do a Greek cruise, pick one that is all Greece (last year we were in SS Spirit from ATH-IST. If you want to go to Istanbul that badly (it is awesome) pick a cruise that starts/ends there. That way you could extend. If you've never been to Italy (I have not) maybe a land tour is the best if you really want to see Rome/Florence/Venice.

Just my 2 cents.

Funny how we are all different. I like the mishmosh....... it is why I cruise. If I want a more in depth experience, I do a land trip. If there is any area where I have spent a day in port and really liked it - I go back. While I enjoy ALL the ports, there have been quite a few that I do not need to go back to.

I will say that it appears that the OP has already decided he also wants a bit of "this and that" ....... just what "this and that" is what he is having trouble deciding on :D

Agree with Marazul - Monte Carlo can be part of a vacation on the French Riviera. We stayed at a condo in Villefranche and took the bus into Nice and from there another bus took us to Cannes, Antibes etc. The other way, a bus with one transfer to Eze and the train from VilleFranche will bring you to Monte Carlo. It was the least expensive trip we have taken to Europe and saw so much.

We have been to Kusadasi and Ephesus and it is on our bucket list that our next European cruise would include Istanbul. Envious!

I cast my vote for cruise #1 also, and, again, the primary reason is a day in Istanbul. I have never considered a cruise as a "mishmash" but rather as a smorgosbord. Enjoy your sampling and decide what you would like to return to for "second helpings" on a future trip.

Harriet

One thing about Istanbul. It isn't like you wake up in Istanbul. Usually you are awake for hours while sailing through the Dardenelles and into Istanbul. This was such a fantastic experience and why cruise travel is so great. I think flying to Istanbul would be less spectacular. Whereas- you are usually sleeping while sailing in Monaco and seeing this area is just as spectacular, if not more so, by train from Italy.

We sailed in and out of Istanbul in the daylight and it is a wonderful, ungorgettable experience. However just over 24 hours there is just scratching the surface. We went on our own and did manage to see much more than we could have on a ship's tour.

We took the tram to the old city, saw Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the cisterns, had lunch on a little side stree, toured the bazaar (bought some wonderful ceramic tiles after comparing three shops), took the fascinating walk downhill to the spice bazaar (got the saffron we wanted), walked to and across the Galata bridge, took the tram the rest of the way to the ship, went to Sultana's in the evening for the dinner and belly dance show; next morning we were at Topkapi palace when it opened and toured the treasury and the harem, before taking the tram back to the ship.

Archived