Tell me your thoughs or experiences in these airports/cities in Europe:

lovevacadays

I'm cruising from Venice next year. I plan on spending a day in Venice pre-cruise. I have also been thinking of spending a day or so prior to Venice in another city that I can easily fly to Venice from. All the airports listed below seem to have a flight to Venice in 2 hours or under. All are places I've wanted to visit and will think about. I'm not a great flyer and not fond of airports. I'd love to hear any thoughts on any you care to comment on and if you would like to add commentary on visiting the city itself for a full day of siteseeing, please do so. I'm primarily concerned about getting into and out of the airport and visiting the city on my own. I will be traveling solo so want it to be as easy as possible and certainly want to feel safe.

(Dublin, Ireland), (Paris, France), (Heathrow Airport in London), (Dubrovnik, Croatia), (Florence, Italy), and (Istanbul, Turkey)

I appreciate any thoughts you might have:)

Most of the cities you mention are over two hours flying from Venice. Istanbul and Dublin certainly are, and even London Heathrow is a tad over 2 hours.

All those cities are very different, so it's hard to tell what your interests are. But if all are equally interesting for you, I recommend Florence. Florence is a 2-hour train ride from Venice, city center to city center. That is much better than flying somewhere, after you add in the time and expense of getting to-from airports, especially if you only planning on staying one day in each city. Florence by train is the clear winner.

Most of the cities you mention are over two hours flying from Venice. Istanbul and Dublin certainly are, and even London Heathrow is a tad over 2 hours.

All those cities are very different, so it's hard to tell what your interests are. But if all are equally interesting for you, I recommend Florence. Florence is a 2-hour train ride from Venice, city center to city center. That is much better than flying somewhere, after you add in the time and expense of getting to-from airports, especially if you only planning on staying one day in each city. Florence by train is the clear winner.

I have never been to Dubrovnik or Istanbul, but of the other choices I would agree on Florence, especially if it keeps the OP off another plane. Florence is a small city compared to the others and very easy to see the major sights in a day or two. You can pre-book museum visits to maximize your time. Last time I visited we walked to/from the train station to our hotel off one of the main city squares.

Paris & London both have good train systems to get you from the airport to the city center, but more than 1-2 days are really needed to see the sights. There is a bus from the airport to the city center/spots of interest in Dublin.

I know it wasn't on the OP's list, but Verona is also a nice day trip from Venice. Venice itself would be worth more than a day in my book, it's such a wonderful city where you can explore, get lost, find your way & get lost again.

Agreed on Dubrovnik, we just spent two days there and they were incredibly gracious hosts. We felt very safe and it's an incredibly interesting (and moving) city to visit. It was my overall favorite of everywhere we went over a three week period and I hope I'm able to return at some point.

Regarding Dubrovnik... while the city is very nice, keep in mind that...

• the Venice-Dubrovnik flight only operates a couple of times a week
  • Croatia is outside the EU and the Schengen area, thus taking more time for border crossing. A Croatian visa may be needed (the current exemption of Croatian visa for Schengen visa holders is temporary and expires at the end of 2012
  • DBV airport is quite far from Dubrovnik city center (about 24 km)

Since the OP only has one day, Dubrovnk, small as it might be, it quite hard to do by flight from Venice.

My vote is still on Florence.

Thanks for all the information. Croatia is out as it seems too completed. Same for Istanbul.

Florence seems to be the popular vote. I'll give it some thought. How easy is it to navigate their airport? How easy is it to get transporation to and from the airport?

Thanks for all the information. Croatia is out as it seems too completed. Same for Istanbul.

Florence seems to be the popular vote. I'll give it some thought. How easy is it to navigate their airport? How easy is it to get transporation to and from the airport?

If I went to Florence, I would take the train, not fly. It will be much faster and easier for you.

Florence's own airport is quite small; many airlines offer superior service to Pisa (PSA) which is not that far. Regardless, transportation to the city from the airport on arrival won't be a problem. There are a lot of tourists in Florence year-round, so the city/airport/train station/taxi services are well-equipped. I would definitely take the train from Florence to Venice - it will be faster and cheaper than flying (2 hrs city to city vs. travel time to the airport + check-in + security + wait + flight + bag collection + transport...)

One day in Florence can be pretty tiring, and coming off a transatlantic flight (+ connection) I wonder how profitable it would be, vs. maybe an extra day in Venice, which could include a tour of some of the marvelous Palladian mansions in the Veneto countryside, or a trip to one of the smaller islands in the archipelago... Unpack just once before the cruise, vs. taking up so much time in logistics. In early October the Veneto is magic.

I've gotta say - your loss. Turkey and Croatia are amazing places, and they really are quite easy. I'd take Istanbul over just about any other city in Europe...and it's among my Top 10 globally. Way better than Paris or Florence IMHO

I'm cruising from Venice next year. I plan on spending a day in Venice pre-cruise. I have also been thinking of spending a day or so prior to Venice in another city that I can easily fly to Venice from. All the airports listed below seem to have a flight to Venice in 2 hours or under. All are places I've wanted to visit and will think about. I'm not a great flyer and not fond of airports. I'd love to hear any thoughts on any you care to comment on and if you would like to add commentary on visiting the city itself for a full day of siteseeing, please do so. I'm primarily concerned about getting into and out of the airport and visiting the city on my own. I will be traveling solo so want it to be as easy as possible and certainly want to feel safe.

(Dublin, Ireland), (Paris, France), (Heathrow Airport in London), (Dubrovnik, Croatia), (Florence, Italy), and (Istanbul, Turkey)

I appreciate any thoughts you might have:)

My honest opinion is arrive to Venice another day. You will easily enjoy the extra time in Venice.

Visiting one of these cries just for a day before you go to Venice will leave you with very little time to see these places.

I wouldn't do it.

Keith

If it were me...................I'd fly into Venice a couple of days (or more) earlier, take the train to Florence for however long you want to stay there, take the train back to Venice for however long you want to stay there and then take the cruise. A train between Florence and Venice is probably going to be quicker than a flight when you figure "door to door", not just the actual time of the flight. Depending where you stay, you probably could walk between your hotels and the train stations.

Florence to Venice (or vice versa) by air does not make any sense. There are no direct flights, so you;d have to take two flights and change planes. Minimum gate-to-gate travel time is going to be 3 hours. Add in the time to get to and from the airports and check-in, and you are at 5+ hours easily. And the lowest price is about €100, if you can even get that.

Train takes 2 hours from city-center to city-center with prices starting at 19€.

When you add "I'm not a great flyer and not fond of airports", how can you even consider flying this route? Absolutely take the train.

I've gotta say - your loss. Turkey and Croatia are amazing places, and they really are quite easy. I'd take Istanbul over just about any other city in Europe...and it's among my Top 10 globally. Way better than Paris or Florence IMHO

I lived in Florence for a full summer (with hubby and 2 girls 4&6 years) when we exchanged houses with another professor. It is marvelous beyond description. Rome is wonderful and the airport there is "doable". Go to trip advisor and find a guide to pick you up at the airport and to take you to see the city. You should spend as much time as you possibly can between Rome/Florence/Venice Beauty culture, food, buildings and lovely people that are among the best travel experiences of a life time. For Istanbul and Crotia plan another cruise from Istanbul to Athens. Oh so wonderful. You can not go wrong in this part of the world. Wonderful memories can be made whatever you choose. Don't eliminate anything -- just say "in a later trip".

I also vote for the extra time in Venice. You will be jet lagged. There is no way around that and airports are airports.

While trains are handy between Florence and Venice you are also at the whim of the latest strike. We flew out of Milan 1 minute before a national air traffic control strike...not good. There was also a public transportation strike while we were in both Italy and France...that wasn't too good either.

You must be able to manage your own luggage...can you handle your luggage on steps? You will definitely have steps to the vaparetto from Central Station in Venice. There aren't many but they are there. I have not been to the station in Florence so I can't comment on the physical layout. There is a great luggage storage facility at Central Station so if you want to take the train from Venice to Florence - a great suggestion- for an overnight you can leave your larger luggage there. It is not far from the cruise port either.

All of the cities you mentioned really demand more time to do them justice, even a little bit. It is so frustrating to miss more than you catch. And, there's plenty to see and do in the Venice area. It's one of the greatest places to wander and get lost and wander some more.

I hope you can arrange your trip and cruise and enjoy every moment.

Another vote for doing just Venice before your cruise. Venice is amazing and you cannot see it in one day. Two nights would be minimum but 3 nights would be even better. Adding another city involves travel time which eats into your sightseeing, plus as others have mentioned, Italy is known for their transportation strikes!

paris would be nice, if it weren't crawling with french people. I would pick dubrovnik. very nice people there - they want and appreciate tourists.

I have been to Paris numerous times and found the french people to be very nice. Your comments are insulting and rude.

paris would be nice, if it weren't crawling with french people. I would pick dubrovnik. very nice people there - they want and appreciate tourists.

I have spent a lot of time in Paris over a number of years and find the French people wonderful and polite! It helps to learn a few French phrases and politeness on our part and you will have a wonderful time in return! Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in the world!

Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate your thoughts. I'm already planning on flying into Venice the day before I embark my cruise. My cruise also spends the night in Venice and is there until 5pm the next day. That is why I was thinking about flying into someplace like London and spending an extra day there. But, now thinking about it, I think I would be setting myself up for exhaustion. I think I will stick with my original plan and maybe add one more day in Venice.

Thanks again:)

Archived