Does anyone pack shorts for Alaska?

kr9457

To me, 70's in Alaska feel a lot warmer. That is because the only time we get onto the 70's is on a bright sunny day and the sun is actually stronger up here than in the lower 48 (less air pollution).

So when the sun shines, shorts are great.

I always pack shorts, and usually wear them. My son only wears shorts year round, and he wore shorts for our entire cruise, except to dinner where long pants are required. Of course, this is the same kid who goes to college in eastern WA (at WSU) where they get tons of snow, and he only bothered to wear long pants for Chemistry lab, because they were required. :eek:

Like others have said, they don't take up much room. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and regret not packing them.

I go to AK almost annually...........shorts in Sept. have always been a plus! My daughter wore them for a huge hike she took in Ketchikan and I wore them while waiting for her!

Take some just in case; they don't take much room.;)

ENJOY!

We were just in Alaska (May) and a few of the days in port the shorts would have gotten worn. It depends on what you are used to. It was cooler by the water, but once we headed inland it was warmer (not warm, but warmer). We took a hike in what amounted to be a rainforest and shorts were welcome.

I was watching the Skagway webcam this week and I noticed men wearing shorts--temp 56. Now I am from florida and I would have had a sweatshirt on! I think this was one of the few days last wk. that had some some in the ports. Yes, bring some shorts. Layers of clothing are useful.

I was watching the Skagway webcam this week and I noticed men wearing shorts--temp 56. Now I am from florida and I would have had a sweatshirt on! I think this was one of the few days last wk. that had some some in the ports. Yes, bring some shorts. Layers of clothing are useful.

Will you post the link to the webcam?

One thing that often escapes people....the ports in Alaska are at sea level, and in sheltered areas. It takes very little clear/ sunny time for temperature to climb in a hurry , from Mid-May onwards to, and specially, September.

A huge part of the S.E. Alaska panhandle is part of a RainForest with the naturally occuring humidity....so, 69F in Ketchikan will easily ''feel'' like the 80's.

Cheers

I have been considering taking a down parker for our July trip to Alaska but think I have been convinced out of it. All the trip reports so far have commented on how cold it has been this season. During the day in Anchorage at the moment it is 57 degrees F maximum.

That is cold to me. I am not even considering shorts but will be very pleased if I can wear a t-shirt. I must admit that I am thin and feel the cold and I will be spending every second that I can outdoors.

And the OP is right: A wet and windy 57 degrees is a lot colder than a sunny 57 degrees.

The mosquitos are bad this year and people have been wearing long sleeved shirts while hiking to get away from them.

Saw people in Anchorage wearing shorts throughout last weekend and even today. We do our best to acknowledge summer even when it rains.

Your high yesterday was 57 degrees = 13.8

Our high here today is 54 degrees and my husband is wearing shorts to work. There are crazy people everywhere. :):):)

On my Sea cruise to Alaska the beginning of June, I'd packed 4 or 5 pairs of shorts and they only took up room. The weather didn't cooperate:(. Actually on the Tracy Arm day I wished that I had packed my down parka!

On my Sea cruise to Alaska the beginning of June, I'd packed 4 or 5 pairs of shorts and they only took up room. The weather didn't cooperate:(. Actually on the Tracy Arm day I wished that I had packed my down parka!

Treven,

I totally understand that. The temps here are the same as in Anchorage and I am freezing and am not running around outside as I will be in Alaska. But I have decided to take and extra woollen jumper (2 total), a thermal long sleeve t-shirt and buy a new and very warm (read: expensive!) polar fleece and my moderately warm gortex raincoat which will double as a wind breaker. Am still thinking about the thermal long johns. I will be very happy if I don't need any of it but I intend to spend a lot of time outside so probably will as I feel the cold.

I hope I won't regret not taking the down parka!

Archived