Living in Germany-Crusing Med w/kids

Oliter

Hello Everyone,

We are currently looking at going on a cruise this summer/early fall. We are currently living in Germany and due to my husband's job, we are planning our trip last minute. We have a 12.5 year old daughter who is VERY easy going and VERY easy to travel with. She is a smart kid and will enjoy pretty much anything and everything we throw at her. We also have a 2.5 year old son who is not nearly as easy to travel with (daughter was easier, much easier, even at his age) so we are just looking for some tips.

I am hoping to find a cruise line with child care for our son and using it if things get hairy. I don't use a stroller very often in general and have never used one when we travel. I always wear him on my back. We live in Europe, so we are not unfamiliar with traveling in Europe with kids. I am really just trying to figure out what cruise lines will be better, what itineraries you suggest and any kid friendly things to do at different ports. We are willing to stop for a 2 year old and we are willing to use a babysitter or child care on board if need be.

Also, would it be better to get two rooms or one? We can always put one adult in each room if need be.

At this point we are really leaning towards an Eastern Med. Cruise, and hoping for Croatia, Greece, Turkey and Italy...but I wouldn't refuse Nice, Barcelona or Monte Carlo ;) I secretly wish I could get all those ports in one cruise that is not a month long.

I am currently visiting family in the States and made the flight alone...just me and the two kiddos. It really wasn't that bad...the 2 year old had his moments, but I don't love international flights either, so who can blame him!? I actually feel like he IS getting better and better. We have really wanted to make a Med. Cruise happen during our time in Europe, and time is running out, but at times it seems easier to book some family resort somewhere in the Med and chill out for a week or two.

I have been reading through what other people have said, but it seems that most are living in NA, and I feel that makes a bit of a difference with the whole thing. So...what are your thoughts?

I'm pretty sure that most of the lines will not have a kid's club available for your 2.5 yr old, and that he will not be able to swim in the pools. You may be able to pay for private in-room sitting at some times, but that will cost a pretty penny.

Do you happen to have access to hiring a nanny or could you bring along a grandparent who would be willing to help out on board and allow you to trade off who goes to what?

You can all fit into one room in many cases, but if you bring along a 5th person, you may pay a reduced rate for that person in a room of 3.

Carnival has child care/Camp Carnival for 2y/o, and they will change diapers. Carnival Breeze is currently sailing in the Med. NCL allows 2y/o in their kids clubs but they will page you to come change diapers. Neither has pools for kids that are not potty trained. Royal Caribbean has some ships with the Royal babies & Tots program that would accommodate your younger child. those would also have pools for the non-potty trained. But I am not sure if any of those ships are in the Med. this season. You might also look into P&O-UK as they have had nurseries on some of their ships.

There is a board here for Family Cruises, under Special Interest cruising. Folks there are more expert on the Royal Caribbean programs and can help you out there. EM

I actually just spoke with Celebrity and it seems like that will work. They do require kids to be potty trained, but my son is, so I am not worried about that. We did ask if we were allowed to leave the ship while he was in child care and they said yes. I didn't book anything, but they have great military rates and answered most of my questions. I still need to contact my husband to figure everything out, but Celebrity seems like a possibility.

I actually just spoke with Celebrity and it seems like that will work. They do require kids to be potty trained, but my son is, so I am not worried about that. We did ask if we were allowed to leave the ship while he was in child care and they said yes. I didn't book anything, but they have great military rates and answered most of my questions. I still need to contact my husband to figure everything out, but Celebrity seems like a possibility.

Now I'm confused...The minimum age for the Kids club on Celebrity is 3 years. They don't bend on that for insurance reasons. I believe they do have in-cabin babysitting for a fee.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type3.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_celebritylife_activities_youth_programs&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_celebritylife_activities_gateway&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_celebritylife_activities_gateway

Now I'm confused...The minimum age for the Kids club on Celebrity is 3 years. They don't bend on that for insurance reasons. I believe they do have in-cabin babysitting for a fee.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type3.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_celebritylife_activities_youth_programs&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_celebritylife_activities_gateway&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_celebritylife_activities_gateway

Yeah, I keep looking and am confused myself. I don't think I was given good info. I was really specific when I asked too. I will repost over on the family board and see what they have to say. I am not completely opposed to using a babysitter, but I feel like I read that they are required to stay in room all day. My 2 year old would go crazy :)

It all makes booking a villa somewhere for a couple weeks sound appealing...

I am wondering if the agent understood what you were asking? Maybe they were talking about "Toddler Time"? Celebrity does not allow children under three to be dropped off in the children's club.

Yeah, I am thinking he didn't understand. I was very clear that he is under three and that I wanted to be able to drop him off for the day. He said that would be fine AND that they also had babysitters. I was also trying to clarify what Toddler Time was....and he said it was child care. Sounds like he didn't understand.

No worries, we will figure it out. He is SO close to 3!!! Darn. :) We can always use a sitter if we need to. I don't really want to fly someone else over and drag them on a cruise ship, only to deal with my toddler all day. We are not going to drop him off everyday...but do want options.

Really, if it is all too difficult I am NOT opposed to finding a villa somewhere. I would rather do that than have an overwhelmed 2 year old at port everyday.

Yeah, it just may not be a European cruise at that point :) It is just that we are SO close now. I am not even worried about airfare or getting to our departure port at this point. That is just a short and easy trip for us. Still, a Villa does sound tempting. But WHERE is the question then. We are planning on seeing so many things, and suddenly, getting a villa limits us ;)

Please consider crossing to the UK, and trying a P&O ship- there are qualified staff on board who run a night nursery for babies and toddlers, so that you can have an evening elsewhere. Not having used the services for children myself, all my information comes from forums, but I know that P&O are often voted top cruising line for babies and toddlers. If you go to the index, and look under cruise Lines, and click on P&O UK, you can ask again on there, or search for information in the search box.

Unfortunately, all the ships leave from Southampton, but you should be able to fly/drive/ferry/train from Germany.

Jo.

Essentially, there are two choices. Carnival Breeze has a cruise from Venice, 12 days, but it ends in Barcelona. NCL has Norwegian Jade doing 7 day cruises from Venice, doing two itineraries, one of which includes Dubrovnik, Split, Izmir, Athens. the other does Santorini, Mykonos, corfu, Katakolon...You can book them together as a 14 day, with a return to Venice in the middle. NCL accepts 2y/o in their program, but will call you if he has an accident. EM

Celebrity has Toddler Time for 45 minutes a day, and the parent must stay with the child. No diapers or swim diapers are allowed in ANY pool on any line. Some ships have baby splash zones for diapered infants, but Celebrity does not. Celebrity has in cabin sitting, at night, for $19 an hour, but it's not guaranteed as its done on a volunteer basis by crew members.

I also think a 12 year old and a 2 year old are too young to be in a cabin alone, unless you get two connecting cabins with a door inside both cabins that you keep open at all times.

Archived