NCL/HSN - Drawing for Free Cruise in Haven

jame_g

Got an e-mail today from NCL for a drawing of a free 7 day cruise in the Haven to celebrate their partnership with HSN (Home Shopping Network):

No purchase necessary. To be eligible, an entrant must be 18 years of age or older and reside in the U.S. or its territories

One GRAND PRIZE of a choice of a seven (7) day Haven suite cruise for two (2) on any one of the following ships will be awarded: Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Epic or Norwegian Breakaway (which is scheduled to launch in April 2013). The trip includes roundtrip airfare from the winners nearest airport to the departure city.

All other costs are the responsibility of the winner, including but not limited to government taxes and fees, service charges, ground transportation, shore excursion fees, baggage fees and any personal expenditures. All reservations and cruise arrangements are at the sole discretion of Norwegian. Cruise must be completed within one year from award date. Restrictions and blackout dates apply.

http://www.hsn.com/travel/travel_a-9366_xc.aspx

I got that email as well and entered...I tried to read the 'rules' and didn't see how often you can enter?? Is it every day until the end of the sweepstakes period or is it a one and done thing?? Does anyone know?

I don't see where it indicates if you can only enter once per person, once per household, once a day...

Some contests do let you enter once a day, but others don't. This one doesn't seem to restrict to once per household.

Gotta love vague rules...

A few years ago we won a charity auction for a then called Courtyard Villa but we did have to pay for that one (though at a much reduced price). Would really be nice to win one that we didn't have to pay for and the drawing is on our 32nd anniversary of our engagement so that would be a great anniversary present NCL/HSN.:D:D:D:D Just sayin... :D

A couple of things to consider about this "giveaway" (and please believe me, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just pointing out some of the conditions that people may have overlooked).

This from the contest rules: "Entry constitutes permission to use entrants' name, voice, likeness, photograph, quotes or video footage without further permission." I'd be concerned about giving up control of my identity in that fashion.

Second, and more importantly, you are probably going to be liable for income taxes on the value of the prize, which HSN puts at "approximately" $11,800. This seems to be so because one condition of winning is "The GRAND PRIZE winner will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release and a W-9 Form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number) within seven (7) days of first attempted notification." and further: " All other costs are the responsibility of the winner, including but not limited to government taxes and fees, service charges, ground transportation, shore excursion fees, baggage fees and any personal expenditures." Finally: "Taxes on grand prize are the sole responsibility of the winner."

Not saying you shouldn't enter if you want to, but it pays to read the fine print and see what you're giving up in exchange for your "free" cruise.

Boo, residents of the USA only. :(

I second that boo! :(

I don't understand why NCL sends an email to non-Amercians with a contest open only to Americans.

Message to NCL Marketing Department: You know where we live, so use that information to target customers. :rolleyes:

A couple of things to consider about this "giveaway" (and please believe me, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just pointing out some of the conditions that people may have overlooked).

This from the contest rules: "Entry constitutes permission to use entrants' name, voice, likeness, photograph, quotes or video footage without further permission." I'd be concerned about giving up control of my identity in that fashion.

Second, and more importantly, you are probably going to be liable for income taxes on the value of the prize, which HSN puts at "approximately" $11,800. This seems to be so because one condition of winning is "The GRAND PRIZE winner will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release and a W-9 Form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number) within seven (7) days of first attempted notification." and further: " All other costs are the responsibility of the winner, including but not limited to government taxes and fees, service charges, ground transportation, shore excursion fees, baggage fees and any personal expenditures." Finally: "Taxes on grand prize are the sole responsibility of the winner."

Not saying you shouldn't enter if you want to, but it pays to read the fine print and see what you're giving up in exchange for your "free" cruise.

Everything you stated there is typical of ANY sweepstakes.

HSN apparently is the sponsor of this contest. The entry form asks IMHO for too much personal info. Even though they permit you to 'opt out' of being on their marketing list. I don't have much confidence in that.

There are thousands of web sites that will award you cash and merchandise simply for supplying your email address.

Caveat Emptor....

I second that boo! :(

I don't understand why NCL sends an email to non-Amercians with a contest open only to Americans.

Message to NCL Marketing Department: You know where we live, so use that information to target customers. :rolleyes:

I agree! It really annoyed me to get a great contest offer in my email that I CAN"T ENTER!

Smarten up NCL marketing!

Archived