Nieuw Amsterdam; too big?

billroddy

We are going to be on that itinerary in October - I do not think the size of the NA is a problem - the problem is the # of ships in the ports - Ive heard there have been problems in Dubrovnik - there is a website that tells you how many ships and what size will be in the ports - I forget the name - but it will not be a problem when we are there:)[

Actually, the NA is a "small" ship in comparison with some of the behemoths that do that route (like Costa Fascinosa, Celebrity Silhouette, MSC Divina). Only ports that really present a problem are the tender ports for any ship of 1800 or more, then you pray for calm seas and well run operations! :D

We did the NA in the med. No issues with ports nor tenders. The only issue was the disembarkation - not enough customs officers and it was the worst disembarkation I've ever seeen. Tons of people in the hall ways waiting (where they shouldn't be) and you had to 'fight' your way through. But that could have happened anywhere.

Bill:

The NIEUW AMSTERDAM is a wonderful ship and I don't see any problems that you might fear, Bill. I have never been to the ports you cited but I have seen no problems in disembarking in the ports that she has docked in the cruises that I have been blessed to have been on. This ship is fast becoming a favorite of myself.

Himself

Bill:

The NIEUW AMSTERDAM is a wonderful ship and I don't see any problems that you might fear, Bill. I have never been to the ports you cited but I have seen no problems in disembarking in the ports that she has docked in the cruises that I have been blessed to have been on. This ship is fast becoming a favorite of myself.

Himself

My "favorite ship" is torn in 3 different directions for 3 different reasons, but Nieuw Amsterdam literally took my breath away when I saw her. So glad that my first 14 day cruise was on a ship that was so beautiful! :)

With 2100 passengers are there problems going ashore in ports like Dubrovnik?

Has anyone taken Venice to Barcelona or reverse?

Bill

Ancient Mariner

I took the NA from Venice to Barcelona in 2010 and had 0 issues getting on/off the ship at any ports. I'd highly recommend her, and the itinerary.

With 2100 passengers are there problems going ashore in ports like Dubrovnik?

Has anyone taken Venice to Barcelona or reverse?

Bill

Ancient Mariner

Yes, Bill- we took this cruise in April 2011. The NA is a lovely ship with marvelous crew. Our cruise started in FL - FLL.....Captain was Edward VanZaane [ I believe he got ON in Barcelona -mid cruise -we've known him for years on "Amsterdam" Grand cruises along with LOVELY wife Apollonia ] ;) Anne

Archived