What determines when traditional dining times would be?

I understand that there are cultural differences that might lend the dining times here for ships sailing from the US to be different from European sailings, but what I can't figure out is the differences between ships sailing in the Caribbean.

The Freedom of the Seas (both for our March cruise and now for our October one) had advertised its early dining at 6:00 PM. That's been changed to 5:30 PM. That's actually fine with me as I tend to eat earlier than many others, but I can understand why some might not want to eat quite that early.

Yet, in comparison, the Majesty of the Seas for our sailing in a few weeks has early dining at 6:30 PM.

Given that these are both ships sailing from Florida for tropical destinations, I would think that there would be more similarity in such things as dining times, but I guess not. So, what kinds of things might account for the difference? Do 3-night cruises tend to cater to later diners?

Most often it is the demographic of the sailing in question. If there is a large proportion of seniors onboard, the dining time is usually set earlier than if there is a greater mix of ages making up the passenger complement. In Florida with its larger senior population, for example, the "early bird" dinner is pretty much an institution and when those people cruise they are accustomed to dining early. A three night cruise, even out of Florida, may attract a larger group of young cruisers. In some cases the ports of call and the times that the ship will be in port may also influence the times and sometimes the activities scheduled can play a part in setting the times. When early seating is 5:30, the late seating is usually a half hour earlier (8:00pm) as well, so if first seating is too early for you, second seating may work. There is also My Time Dining which will allow you to set your own dining time by just showing up in that section of the MDR when you want to eat. They are pretty good at accommodating you pretty promptly and even when they say that certain times have been filled they can usually seat any walk-ups quickly.

I'm confused about the change in dining times also. 6 pm was early but doable, but 5:30 is just way too early. 8 is too late for us. For the first time, we are trying My Time Dining on our next sailing at 7pm each night. I hope it works out okay. I've heard mixed reviews of MTD.

E-Beth

What is frustrating lately is the change of dining time many months after the booking, and beyond the time when reasonable alternatives exist on the MTD schedule. I don't understand why this seems to be happening, but it's happened to us twice in the last few months, and I've read about it here also. A few weeks before the cruise we will notice that early dining has been changed from 6:00pm to 5:30pm. We check what's available in MTD and because it's so close to the cruise date, all that's left is 7:30pm or later.

What is frustrating lately is the change of dining time many months after the booking, and beyond the time when reasonable alternatives exist on the MTD schedule. I don't understand why this seems to be happening, but it's happened to us twice in the last few months, and I've read about it here also. A few weeks before the cruise we will notice that early dining has been changed from 6:00pm to 5:30pm. We check what's available in MTD and because it's so close to the cruise date, all that's left is 7:30pm or later.

Perhaps it is because they don't have a clear picture of the demographic breakdown of the passenger list until near or after final payment and only make those changes when circumstances dictate. As I mentioned previously, MTD is usually able to accommodate walk-ups when they show up so, the unavailability of popular times isn't as much a problem as some would make it appear. They may allocate a set number of seats or tables to particular dining times, they seem to leave a certain amount of availability for those who simply arrive at any given time and ask to be seated. Even if they tell you a particular time can't be reserved, show up at that time and the chances are very good you'll be seated within a very reasonable amount of time.:)

Perhaps it is because they don't have a clear picture of the demographic breakdown of the passenger list until near or after final payment and only make those changes when circumstances dictate. As I mentioned previously, MTD is usually able to accommodate walk-ups when they show up so, the unavailability of popular times isn't as much a problem as some would make it appear. They may allocate a set number of seats or tables to particular dining times, they seem to leave a certain amount of availability for those who simply arrive at any given time and ask to be seated. Even if they tell you a particular time can't be reserved, show up at that time and the chances are very good you'll be seated within a very reasonable amount of time.:)

This makes a lot of sense.

Could it have any relation to sailaway times?

Hmmm... good question. That could make some sense.

Here are a few ships that I checked for upcoming sailings. Each of these was a sailing happening in the next month or so.

• Allure of the Seas, departs 5:00 PM, early dining at 6:00 PM
  • Freedom of the Seas, departs at 4:30 PM, early dining at 5:30 PM
  • Majesty of the Seas, departs at 4:30 PM, early dining at 6:30 PM
  • Monarch of the Seas, departs at 4:30 PM, early dining at 5:45 PM
  • Explorer of the Seas, departs at 4:00 PM, early dining at 6:00 PM
  • Enchantment of the Seas, departs at 4:30 PM, early dining at 6:00 PM

Nope, no particular pattern here among these few ships.

Archived