Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival??

MargieWY

Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival?

• YES - Absolutely without a doubt
    • NO - It's just cheerleader propaganda. Carnival is better.
    • NEITHER - They are both basically the same.
    • It depends... (explain below)

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I don't like it when people compare cruise line to cruise line. In my experience the difference is ship to ship no matter what line. That being said, the WORST cruise we have taken to date was on RCL's EOS. Horrible food, bad ship layout and the peoples attitude and rudeness on this ship was disgusting!

We have found that most mass market lines are basically the same. Some are a little dressier, some have older or younger crowds, it all depends on what you are looking for. But the end result is that they are basically the same.

I voted "It Depends".

CCL generally has lower fares, better MDR food, better Supper Clubs, more US-based ships, more festive atmosphere and livelier night life. If I'm going on a cruise to party with friends we go CCL.

RCI ships are generally nicer (decor, layout, amenities), more ship board physical activities, better past guest program, more dining options, better buffet layout, and RCI's Solarium area is better than CCL's Serenity. The wife and I enjoy RCI more when it's just the two of us.

A couple years ago, we tried celebrity with several other couples . We booked late , kinda of a last minute thing . I had some concerns as we are just shy of 50 . My expectation was that it would be an older crowd , more sedate and quite. We found it to be right in our wheel house. Many people were right at the same age as carnival , save for the little ones , much less children. It quickly became our favorite line . I love the food, the drink program , the ships ( solstice class) , the atmosphere .

we typically, don’t go on cruises to meet other people as we do travel with groups of people, but have met many other couples/ people who were like minded and found ourselves really enjoying it.

If you have the chance and like food try Blu… simply outstanding!

We do continue to sail carnival, as our 20’S something old children cruise with us once a year , and since I don’t pick up there tab any longer Carnival is within their budget.

We have fun both on both lines and I firmly believe sailing on one line limits one possibilities.

We tried NCL about four years ago, didn’t care for it( at the time) but we have one booked this year with a bunch of people

Variety is a very good thing, plus they all serve Grey Goose

We've been amazed about how many "Carnival cruisers" have been on our last three RCI cruises.

We've asked them about their switch and their main answer has been their fellow pax. Many have had issues with other pax on Carnival cruises and have left to sail with a different demographic. They've told some stories, that don't need to be repeated, especially here, but some were real eyebrow raisers.:p

Most have thought the food a bit better on Carnival and they have usually said they like the crew on RCI ships better than on Carnival. They've said the RCI crew seem to "care" more about them.

Our Carnival cruise was years ago...haven't been back..we just aren't enamored with the "look" of Carnival ships..too much glitz for us.

I said it depends, as there were things on Royal we liked better than Carnival and there were things on Carnival that we liked better than Royal but they are BOTH great cruise lines and we are happy sailing on either one. :)

I think the on-board experience is slightly better on RCI, but food, cabins, and entertainment are better on CCL; DW thinks the on board experience is slightly better on CCL, and agrees with the rest of what I said. Carnival seems to go for group fun, and RCI goes for individual fun. We both mocked the passegers on RCI who looked down their noses at CCL. Exact same demographics on both lines, with the downmarket Hyacinth Buckets gravitating towards RCI.

-John

Many of you have said it's a matter or preference but can you be more specific as to what makes you choose one line over the other?

I would say PRICE is my first reason! I've looked at a number of options on RCCL, but the low price that is listed on their sales is for a small, inside cabin that is crammed into the front of the ship. For less money, I know I can get a cabin that is 50% larger with CCL.

The next reason is itenerary. I would sail RCCL if they went some place that I want to go and was the best value for said trip.

I've recently been looking at Baltic and Greek Islands cruises for next year. I've already decided that Carnival doesn't cut it for those locations. Could it be RCCL instead? Dunno yet.

I don't like it when people compare cruise line to cruise line. In my experience the difference is ship to ship no matter what line. We have found that most mass market lines are basically the same.

Some are a little dressier, some have older or younger crowds, it all depends on what you are looking for. But the end result is that they are basically the same.

Bingo !!!! I find it interesting that some will go on one cruise ship and disparage the entire cruise line because of one bad experience.

The name painted on the ship means very little, and the crew have their own personalities regardless of which line they are working at the time.

Food is also an interesting point in which you may have a bad meal on any restaurant or cruise line, but that doesn't mean all the food that venue serves is bad.

I don't agree that any one cruise line is "better" or "worse" than any other.

a couple years ago, we tried celebrity with several other couples . We booked late , kinda of a last minute thing . I had some concerns as we are just shy of 50 . My expectation was that it would be an older crowd , more sedate and quite. We found it to be right in our wheel house. Many people were right at the same age as carnival , save for the little ones , much less children. It quickly became our favorite line . I love the food, the drink program , the ships ( solstice class) , the atmosphere .

we typically, don’t go on cruises to meet other people as we do travel with groups of people, but have met many other couples/ people who were like minded and found ourselves really enjoying it.

if you have the chance and like food try blu… simply outstanding!

we do continue to sail carnival, as our 20’s something old children cruise with us once a year , and since i don’t pick up there tab any longer carnival is within their budget.

we have fun both on both lines and i firmly believe sailing on one line limits one possibilities.

we tried ncl about four years ago, didn’t care for it( at the time) but we have one booked this year with a bunch of people

variety is a very good thing, plus they all serve grey goose

My first cruise was on Royal Caribbean and I didn't like it at all. The rooms were tiny.....you couldnt even move in the shower and it didn't seem like there was anything ever going on onboard.

I LOVE Carnival Cruise Lines....there is always something going on for everyone. I enjoy playing trivia but I also enjoy laying out in a quiet area......the Serenity area is wonderful.

I could never see myself going on another cruise line

Wrigley80- Yes the rooms are smallar but if you go on the newer ships they are larger, did you go on the Monarch or Majesty of the Seas? Carnivals staterooms are a tee bit larger yes but if you get a balcony room the balconies are larger on RCI than on Carnival alot more roomier. Many ships on RCI have shower doors where CArnival remains to have that shower curtain and always the water gets inside the bathroom, ok it drains out eventually but I rather have it nice and dry getting out of the shower. Honestly Im only in the room to dress, sleep and shower I do have to admit us getting a balcony we only use it in the mornings maybe for an hour the most so room size is not an issue especially its only two of us.

I find both cruise lines to be compatable with one another when it comes to activities and such. Both cruise lines offer Trivia. As far as a quiet area you can't get a better quiet area with the best view atop the ship looking 180 degrees above the ship...RCI offers this carnival doesn't. I never could find a quiet place on Carnival all its sitting areas are put in public areas where the Viking Crown Lounge is just peaceful and relaxing. Both cruise lines offer adults only areas. :)

It's personal preference. I look at it like would you shop at Dillards or Macys? Sears and JcPenny's? Lowes or Home Depot? Braum's or Baskin Robins? Albertson's or Kroger's? Burger King or McDonalds? Panera Bread or McAlister's Deli? 6 Flags TX or 6 flags Atlanta? Coke or Pepsi? Coke or Dr. Pepper? Pier One or Pottery Barn? and the list goes on.

They both offer the same product with their own unique style, service, decor, entertainment and dining.

This is a very good comparison..... Both are good..... With the new ships of CCL the decor is changing for the better in my opinion.... I have had a great time on both lines.

These polls are funny. This Carnival board is inundated with loyal royals as you and an see in almost any thread on here. Not nearly as many Carnival cruisers go to the RCCL board. I'm betting a large percentage of negative voters here are loyal royals.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We've done RCCL, NCL and CCL in the last two years and I favor CCL but they are not really that different..On our Mariner the food was just not good in the buffet or dining room....The food on the NCL Spirit convinced me to never sail them again....I really don't like how they seperate the "classes" on NCL & RCCL...The Diamond cruisers have their own sunning area, seating in the Theatre and dining areas...I really hope CCL never has a separate area for the Diamond cruisers although we are Diamond...:)...Dennis

We have been on both cruise lines. I, personally, loved both. I loved RC shows, maybe we were just lucky with our shows, not sure, but... great entertainment. However, we really enjoy the Comedy Club on Carnival. As far as food, both ships, in my opinion, equal. As far as rooms, again, equal. We are taking our adult children on a cruise next month, and even though my husband wanted to go back on Royal Caribbean, we opted for Carnival due to price, and the ports (southern Caribbean). I truly feel that if you are on ANY cruise ship, you will have a good time!

I didn't vote because my Royal cruise was a while ago...but note that there is only one in my signature....

When we sailed Royal, I didn't think the cruise was better than Carnival at all, (the ship certainly was) but because that was a while ago, I can no longer say for sure because the things I felt gave CCL the edge back then are not exactly the same anymore.

One thing I will say is that I didn't write them off and I'd like to give them another go. Their ships are just stunning...and besides, isn't it a matter of taste?? What's better for one isn't necessarily better for all.

I have to go with Halo on this one. We enjoyed sailing RC but for $200 less I can have a similar experience on Carnival. I agree that the RC ship was probably the prettiest one that we have been on. I don't know if it was just the particular trip that we were on but the Princess cruise was the deadest that we have had. Absolutely nothing going on that we wanted to see or do.:mad:

These polls are funny. This Carnival board is inundated with loyal royals as you and an see in almost any thread on here. Not nearly as many Carnival cruisers go to the RCCL board. I'm betting a large percentage of negative voters here are loyal royals.

I didn't see where any posts on this thread were "loyal royals". :rolleyes: Most people that posted appear to sail both lines.

Bluekrush,

If you are still out there, you asked about Bon Voyage, it is a service used by Carnival corp., where you can order gifts, wine and alcohol to be delivered to your cabin prior to your cruise. In most ports your order is in the cabin when you arrive unless state liquor laws say you have to wait until in international waters (for the alcohol only). Some years ago RCCL used to have this same service, but now only allow gifts, but no alcohol:(

We've been amazed about how many "Carnival cruisers" have been on our last three RCI cruises.

We've asked them about their switch and their main answer has been their fellow pax. Many have had issues with other pax on Carnival cruises and have left to sail with a different demographic. They've told some stories, that don't need to be repeated, especially here, but some were real eyebrow raisers.:p

Most have thought the food a bit better on Carnival and they have usually said they like the crew on RCI ships better than on Carnival. They've said the RCI crew seem to "care" more about them.

Our Carnival cruise was years ago...haven't been back..we just aren't enamored with the "look" of Carnival ships..too much glitz for us.

Funny you say that. On our Carnival cruise in April we met some past royal cruisers and they were having a blast. Said the found the 2 lines to be very comparable except carnival cost less, rcl buckle and dimed them, and carnivals rooms we're better. Everything else was a push. They also said carnival cruisers knew how to have fun whereas the rcl cruisers were fuddy duddies (their words) and a bit snobbish.

I didn't see where any posts on this thread were "loyal royals". :rolleyes: Most people that posted appear to sail both lines.

RRLLAL has only cruised on Carnival, and will defend them .. without any first hand knowledge of RCL .. but he read stuff!!! thats his defense.

I cruise more on Carnival than RCL .. I find more deals on Carnival, though I fidn them on RCL as well, I almost always have to fly to them.

So far I have drawn the line saying I will not fly to a carnival cruise.. that changes next year .. I have two .. within 2 weeks of each other (boo hiss boo hiss on Jones act) .. for alaska and then onto Hawaii to calif on Miracle. .. so I will finally fly to a carnival cruise.

I have my PVP looking for a deal I can drive to. I love when I can drive to a cruise. I need one more before hawaii for my 25th OBC cruise.

Archived