Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival??

MargieWY

Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival?

• YES - Absolutely without a doubt
    • NO - It's just cheerleader propaganda. Carnival is better.
    • NEITHER - They are both basically the same.
    • It depends... (explain below)

I have never sailed RCL although I would love to being as though their ships seem to be more elegant (until the Breeze came along) and classy, however I need elegant and classy as well as FUN FUN FUN. I love that carnival is the fun ship. That I can choose to go mingle and have a great time, or I can go to the atrium with my book and have a quiet time. RCL seems very stuck up and blah, I don't want to pay to be stuck up and blah I can do that for free.

I've always been 50/50 on the Carnival vs Royal debate, meaning that I've liked different things from both lines. However that being said, we just returned from the Glory on 6/28 - and were disappointed. Between the ship layout, the food going down hill and the slow service. I read a lot about the carnival "cutbacks" before we left and definitely could notice a huge difference from our last Carnival cruise.

I'll still stick to the motto "A bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work".. Will we go on Carnival again? Only if Royal isn't leaving from the same port or itinerary we're looking at.

question has been answered to death with a lot of sense- its all in personal preference. Im sure those with an open mind and regular expectations would enjoy both lines. We did, as well as enjoyed NCL very much.

I also believe RCI has a better marketing dept. Or Carnival has reach a level they dont need to kill the airwaves with their ads. Im not sure- but I know its why Iphone has such a following of zombies- because the ads told the public its the best so it must be. Any techie person knows droids and their platform are as good if not better in most ways. But most users arent techs- they have to believe "reviews" as they have no other experience to buy with.

Even how this was phrased - is RCI really better- why ask that- who implied it is- why did that rep get around? Cruisers choose cruises and which line for a ton of reasons. Better is in the eye of the cruiser.

I have never sailed RCL although I would love to being as though their ships seem to be more elegant (until the Breeze came along) and classy, however I need elegant and classy as well as FUN FUN FUN. I love that carnival is the fun ship. That I can choose to go mingle and have a great time, or I can go to the atrium with my book and have a quiet time. RCL seems very stuck up and blah, I don't want to pay to be stuck up and blah I can do that for free.

Wait until you sail on RCI and form your own opinion as to whether the people are stuck up.

Choice is easy for me. Carnival allows passengers to bring on a modest amount of wine. Royal Caribbean? Not one drop. Case closed.

In case anyone wonders, no, booze is not the only thing important in my life. I just don't like the attitude represented by that. What that says to me is they're going to leave no stone unturned in their quest to separate me from my money.

Jim

I never found the people on RC to be stuck up. It's Royal Caribbean, not Silver Seas for crying out loud! Other than the ship layout and more colorful decorating found on Carnival, they're very similar products.

While it is your opinion, I disagree with everything posted here.

On both carnival and royal i was addressed as Mrs (first name). Never did anyone address me as hey lady. IMO shows were much. better on royal. Especially the Now you See it show. More dancers and singers on royal. We received great service on both. And royals ships outshine anything carnival has right now.

I post this because prior to you cruise with royal you made it clear you were going not because you wanted to but because someone else convinced you to. As such I believe you went into it expecting it to suck and Imo you don't give a balanced opinion on it. I tend not to believe people that can't find any positive to a vacation.

There were some pluses to the cruise. I loved the balcony that we had with our room. the balconies are much more spacious. we didnt get that now you see it show on the freedom of the seas. it was some broadway singing show where they sang different broadway songs and some show with disney songs (told my mom, if i wanted to see or hear disney i would have booked on them). i went with an open mind, and we did have fun with the 2 we went with. i just didnt get off the ship impressed and thinking "I want to cruise them again" i find myself having more fun on carnival. more trivia games on carnival and better music by the lido pool. carnival has fresh grilled burgers, royal let them sitting out and were always cold in the cafe. i like having a slice of pizza outside, on royal it was on the promenade which i didnt like. again...my opinion and what I personally experienced (Heck, even my mom liked carnival better, i thought for sure she would have liked royal better) plus the pools on royal were ICE...too cold !!

Everyone has different tastes. Some like food with a lot of salt, some don't. Some like Rib eye while some like Sword fish. Some like glitzy decor, some like a neutral decor. Some like rock climbing walls and there are those that like a shady spot with a book. Some like broadway style shows and then their are those who like comedians. Some like the feeling of a mall while cruising, while some like small intimate spaces to watch the sea roll by.

Then you have people that feel as food makes a cruise, with others that say the the ship makes the cruise. For some the staff can make or break a cruise while you have a group that may feel the entertainment makes a cruise.

It is impossible to state which is better because we all have different likes and different expectations.

For me, Carnival has the better formula for me. And here is why:

I like a nice juicy burger off the grill for lunch.

I love comedy.

I love the option to visit several different musicians in an evening, everything from a piano player, to the guitar player.

I like having the option to eat the not everyday items (tandoroa food, frog legs, alligator) , but have the basics to fall back on if I can't find something I like. (Southern fried chicken)

Deserts are a big player in my book.

Free room service 24/7

The option to bring wine.

Things that do not float my boat (pun intended)

Huge open mall spaces.

Hamburgers sitting in a heating pan.

Big shows.

More expense right out of the gate.

Deserts made from a gelatin base.

Rock walls, surf machines

I hated Carnival before I ever cruised with them. Made fun of their ships and always though of them as a party barge. Could never see myself sailing with them. I still think a good percent of their ships are hideous, but that would not deter me now that I have experienced a "fun ship".

In the end, we all have different likes, dislikes, preferences, expectations and priorities that go into a formula that makes or breaks our cruise

We have cruised both lines. Our first cruise was on the Monarch years ago. Found out we loved cruising. We love cruising on both lines, as well as NCL. The one bad cruise we had on RCCL was (as we found out later) a Diamond cruise. We were not Diamond, and were reminded of that fact alot. On our 9 Carnival cruises, as well as our NCL cruises, we have never run into an "elite attitude" as we did on that cruise. We will never book a Diamond cruise again. On our other RCCL cruises we have ran into a few of the Diamond elite but we just steer the conversation away if we can,

if not we move on.

I've asked this question myself because I love cruising and it seems I am always running into people who tell me they can't believe I love it so much if I haven't sailed RC. I haven't - all of my cruises have been on Carnival and I loved every one of them (though some have been better than others - ship choice, itinerary). But I have to admit, it made me curious to know why so many people ask this. I never hear this about the other lines, just RC. My last cruise was on the CC Liberty, Eastern Carribean, after the 2.0 upgrade. IT WAS FANTASTIC! So much so, I'm not sure I could enjoy cruising without the Red Frog, Blue Iguana and Guy's. Our next cruise will be on the Breeze and I'm looking forward to the comedy brunch. That had not been added to the Liberty when we were on it. Thanks to all of you for your opinions. It helped me to decide if I wanted to try RC . . . the decision came when someone mentioned the "Mall" layout. I was a sales rep for almost 20 years and I've seen enough Malls to last me a lifetime. Also, the broadway style shows aren't a plus to me because I have had a season ticket to TPAC (Tennessee Performing Arts Center) here in Nashville for several years for the Broadway series and I'm about burned out on that. To be honest, the best thing about a cruise to me is not what a company can provide but what is provided to all of us for free - the sun, the sea, the majesty of God's creation. I also love visiting other cultures and find I come home more grateful for the country I live in and the life I have. Add on to that the "melting cake" and you know why my next cruise will be on Carnival -on the Breeze - Feb. 3 - in the Carribean again. Hope some of you will join me. If you do, I'll be the one with the big grin and chocolate on my chin!

P.S. Something I picked up here on CC and tried on my last cruise added

a real "kick." I took a small gift (something typical of Nashville) for each day of the cruise and left it for the room steward every evening, along with a short note explaining how the "gift" represented my home city (written on a whiteboard). I would come back to my room each night to find a note telling me about his home and his family. It really added to my trip and is something I will always do from now on. Thanks to the lady here on CC that told me about her experience in doing this so that I could copy it!

No kidding. As of this posting twice as many people feel RCCL is "better" than CCL on a board obviously skewed towards CCL.

If Mickey doesn't shove this poll up Cahill's "porthole" there's something very wrong.

Considering that an insignificant percentage of the total membership of CC, which is itself an insignificant percentage of total cruisers, participated in yet another unscientific poll, I imagine Carnival, Mickey, Gerry, and for that matter, Uncle Bob (he still is on the Board of Directors), know exactly where to file it. :p

Considering that an insignificant percentage of the total membership of CC, which is itself an insignificant percentage of total cruisers, participated in yet another unscientific poll, I imagine Carnival, Mickey, Gerry, and for that matter, Uncle Bob (he still is on the Board of Directors), know exactly where to file it. :p

I also have NO doubt that many of the posters that said rcl, are rcl cruisers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The one bad cruise we had on RCCL was (as we found out later) a Diamond cruise. We were not Diamond, and were reminded of that fact alot. On our 9 Carnival cruises, as well as our NCL cruises, we have never run into an "elite attitude" as we did on that cruise.

You're not the only one ever to say something like that. My BIL pretty much said the same and others here have also. But some folks will deny your experience and anyone that listens to you.

I think that the one thing that this poll has shown is how much more rabidly the Carnival cheerleaders defend their cruise line, even if they don't have the majority with their votes. Over on the RCI board, they're letting the thread die. NOT HERE! :rolleyes:

Over on the Royal Caribbean poll, 69% think Royal is better. On the Carnival poll, only 19% think Carnival is better. Very interesting. Of course, the cheerleaders blame these numbers on all the "lurkers" from the Royal board coming here to skew the numbers :rolleyes:

I think that the one thing that this poll has shown is how much more rabidly the Carnival cheerleaders defend their cruise line, even if they don't have the majority with their votes. Over on the RCI board, they're letting the thread die. NOT HERE! :rolleyes:

Over on the Royal Caribbean poll, 69% think Royal is better. On the Carnival poll, only 19% think Carnival is better. Very interesting. Of course, the cheerleaders blame these numbers on all the "lurkers" from the Royal board coming here to skew the numbers :rolleyes:

Funny you should say that, beings YOU revived it after 9 hours of silence.:rolleyes:

I would hope that statement is 100% true, and see no reason why it shouldn't be.

(Though, perhaps, I didn't fully understand your reply)

WOW, I have met snobs. Surprised in 98 cruises you have managed not to meet one snob.

:confused: I'm confused as to why that is surprising to you???? Do you not think it possible? Have all the snobs you've met been on one line or have they been on several different ones?? :confused:

Not a fair statment:rolleyes:

As a cruiser who has cruise both lines, almost equally.....

I'd voted.....neither....both more the same, than different.

Funny you should say that, beings YOU revived it after 9 hours of silence.:rolleyes:

Sorry, for not reviving it during those 9 hours. I had to sleep...

And anyway, you just bumped it up again with your post!:p

Oops! I just bumped it again with THIS post! :o

Neither are valid polls nor anything based of them. Too funny is that Royal Chumps seem to think otherwise. :p

I've done both..My RCI experience was with their Oasis of the Seas. Hard to compare that to Carnival...but...

I voted they both came out the same. Because they both had plus's and minus's

On Carnival "I" prefer the food a LOT better. There's food on Carnival that I would gladly eat again and even "crave"...like their mac and cheese, chocolate melting cake, escargot, stuffed mushrooms, pastrami sandwhiches...etc. They did have some food that I'd never touch with a 10 foot pole.

On RCI the ONLY food I really liked was their vegetarian sweet potato tart. It was really a quiche but was pretty good...

On Carnival you could get ice cream, burgers and pizza (I thought the pizza and calzones were pretty good)...24/7...on RCI the jerks only served ice cream between noon and 6 pm. Then you had to "buy" it. :mad:...the cold sandwiches were served 24/7 were more bread than meat...pizza...blah.

Of course the Oasis was an exceptional ship...their shows were INCREDIBLE. WOW...a beautiful high dive show, an ice skating show and some other "flying" show. Pretty incredible. The comedy shows I love but are better on Carnival because on a 7 day cruise they often swap out comedians...Oasis does make some stuff a little difficult by having you make "reservations" to all the shows. Then if a show gets cancelled...it's hard to "catch up". There are some shows such as the comedy, skating and the dive show that are hard to get into.

Teens seem to have more fun on "Carnival". The Oasis had a LOT of cool stuff but...less true "social" interaction...Then of course to be "fair" most of our cruises with Carnival have been out of Texas...whereas the Florida trip had teens from all over the world...They had STRICT curfews on RCI which seemed a bit over the top...There were some teenage girls on RCI that well uhhh...errr...uhmmm...really shouldn't be left to roam on their own.

Rooms on Carnival even the tiny rooms on the Ecstasy...seemed MUCH bigger than our balcony room on the OASIS. OMG...only one could pass from the door to the balcony. :eek: The balcony on the OASIS seemed tiny too...but who stays in the room.

All cruise ships are amazing. The Oasis of course well...stood out from "many" so it's impossible to compare to anything. Dancing waters, Mardi Gras party, Characters from Madagascar and Shrek, a carosal, a rising bar...flow rider, zip line, skating rink...WOW.

Honestly I guess I felt more "relaxed" on the Carnival cruise. Both have positive and negatives...But it's all "VACATION".

Archived