Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival??

MargieWY

Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival?

• YES - Absolutely without a doubt
    • NO - It's just cheerleader propaganda. Carnival is better.
    • NEITHER - They are both basically the same.
    • It depends... (explain below)

RRLLAL has only cruised on Carnival, and will defend them .. without any first hand knowledge of RCL .. but he read stuff!!! thats his defense.

Exactly. I can tell by what I read from loyal royals and Carnival cruisers just what type of people I want to have fun with. I also have friends and family that cruise both and know what they tell me about the nickel and diming they get on rcl where in the end, their cruise was a lot more than planned. There's a reason Carnival is the #1 cruiseline in the world.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. I can tell by what I read from loyal royals and Carnival cruisers just what type of people I want to have fun with. I also have friends and family that cruise both and know what they tell me about the nickel and diming they get on rcl where in the end, their cruise was a lot more than planned. There's a reason Carnival is the #1 cruiseline in the world.

So how do you feel about Carnival moving in the same exact direction. Carnival now has pay restaurants like the steak house .. now they have the Red Frog Pub with $3.33 entrees .. so similar to what Oasis has its almost laughable .. and now the Italian pay option at night on Magic and Breeze ..Carnival is doing the exact same thing I can promise you its not different.

With the exception of Oasis and Allure .. I go with the best deal .. not who is on the cruise. I dont care if the other pax have one foot in the grave or they are 20 years old. I will talk to them all.

2.0 is a money grab .. more and better bars to sell more and get you to spend more money onboard. People are already wondering how long Guys burgers will stay free .. that so far is the only big difference .. and the fancy burgers on RCL started off free too.

Since many of the same people cruise both lines.. its in someone's head that RCL is snobs and Carnival folks are not .. they are mostly the exact same cruisers. you are snatching at straws to back up why you dislike RCL without actually seeing it for yourself.

enough... closed minds have set expectations which are self fullfilling.

I am the same person no matter which line I am cruising on. I am hardly a fancy dress up person... I hate dressing up. snob?? thats nuts, and all in someone's own mind.

How exactly were they nickeled and dimed? Royal has the exact same stuff as free that carnival does. They just have more pay options.

Both have free ice cream. Royal has an additional pay venue, Ben and Jerrys

both have free mdr and buffet

Both have free pizza

Both have free burgers but royal has a pay venue Johnny rockets.

both have free coffee. Royal has Starbucks pay venue

Both have free shows

Both have free desserts. Royal has pay venue for cupcakes

Both charge for pictures, booze, gambling

Both have specialty restaurants at an additional fee

Both charge for internet

Both have room service for tips.

Both have free daily activities

Both charge for soda

Both have the same drinks for free, royal added free flavored water

So where exactly did they pay more because they were nickeled and dimed? I think you use this to knock the other line because you feel the need to justify your choice of carnival even though what you are saying isn't true.

So how do you feel about Carnival moving in the same exact direction. Carnival now has pay restaurants like the steak house .. now they have the Red Frog Pub with $3.33 entrees .. so similar to what Oasis has its almost laughable .. and now the Italian pay option at night on Magic and Breeze ..Carnival is doing the exact same thing I can promise you its not different.

With the exception of Oasis and Allure .. I go with the best deal .. not who is on the cruise. I dont care if the other pax have one foot in the grave or they are 20 years old. I will talk to them all.

2.0 is a money grab .. more and better bars to sell more and get you to spend more money onboard. People are already wondering how long Guys burgers will stay free .. that so far is the only big difference .. and the fancy burgers on RCL started off free too.

Since many of the same people cruise both lines.. its in someone's head that RCL is snobs and Carnival folks are not .. they are mostly the exact same cruisers. you are snatching at straws to back up why you dislike RCL without actually seeing it for yourself.

enough... closed minds have set expectations which are self fullfilling.

I am the same person no matter which line I am cruising on. I am hardly a fancy dress up person... I hate dressing up. snob?? thats nuts, and all in someone's own mind.

Exactly!

We aren't sailing this year as we are doing a land vacation but if we were I would probably try Norwegian this time as I wouldn't sail the same line over and over because I like variety. But I do find it irritating that people try to sway others choices on things they haven't experienced themselves and clearly know nothing about. I hate it when people ask for advice and someone says "I haven't experienced xyz but I heard....". I skip over those types of posts.

I do not think it is a matter of any cruise line being "better" than another one.

It is more a matter of find one that meets an "individual's needs" .

Things that are massively important to one person is of absolutely no interest to another.

I see other cruise lines offering "gimmicks" that I am not interested in and therefore do not want to have to pay for....but other people live to climb things, and flow things and skate things.

Carnival now has a rope course. I have absolutely no interest. None. I have no interest in the 5D theater on the Breeze. None. But there are others who do and in the case of the 5D....they will pay for that activity, so that I do not have to.

I do however must have a well run karaoke. Carnival has that; not some songs run off an MP3 player that I have been warned about on other cruise lines.

So people need to know what they want....and then go after it.

there was a time when rccl just had the advantage of better and sleeker ships.

until the carnival cutbacks began.

now, it makes it easier to buy up to the better product.

Hmmm, I have read other posts I think from you... (name sounded familiar) and I have to TOTALLY disagree with you.

I am not sure what 'cutbacks' you are referring to.. and really don't care. Everything changes in this world. Hell I recall when Burger King (in the 1960's) served HOT DOGS!!!! Guess they "cutback" when they stopped serving them?

Ships are personal choice... I wasn't impressed with RCCL as a "better and sleeker" ship.

Everyone is different too. What I liked about one cruise line years ago I may detest now.

Personally, I don't like going to a mall when I am NOT on a cruise and I certainly don't like the 'mall' feel of the Promenade on RCCL. But that's me! I like being able to always see the sea out a window.

Also, I don't like being 'nickel and dimed' on a ship! Example...> for really good food pay extra for the private XYZ restaurant. If the food served in DR or buffet isn't edible... why would I pay extra?

Service needs to be friendly not stuffy for me. AND... PRICE is a big factor as I try to cruise 2-3 times a year! (As opposed to once at a higher price)

Yes I have been on Holland America, Cunard Costa, MSC, RCCL, Dolphin (hehe) and Carnival.

I have preferences... but my taste may not be yours...

DOC :cool:

Use to be a Royal Caribbean fan. Back in the day they had a great formula. Great service, food enjoyable, ships that allowed you to be one with the ocean and an atmosphere that made you feel good. After recently cruising the Freedom Of The Seas, I would say the service was still great, food was edible at best, a ship that felt like I was at the local mall and atmosphere that also resembled what I would feel at the local mall on Christmas Eve.

Use to be a Royal Caribbean fan. Back in the day they had a great formula. Great service, food enjoyable, ships that allowed you to be one with the ocean and an atmosphere that made you feel good. After recently cruising the Freedom Of The Seas, I would say the service was still great, food was edible at best, a ship that felt like I was at the local mall and atmosphere that also resembled what I would feel at the local mall on Christmas Eve.

You are in the minority thanks god, because the Freedom sails every week to the max. Go see the prices. Btw my favorite ships are still the Freedom class.

I loved loved loved Voyager .. and then did Liberty OTS, Freedom class and I kept thinking what is wrong with me.. I didnt love it?? No complaints, just didnt love the ship. I enjoyed Oasis, just because it is so darn unique, something I had to try. Freedom class left me, ehhhh...

Both have their advantages/disadvantages and, of course, "better" is subjective.

For me, the Carnival food is better and in the past their bands were better.

RCCL has more varied itineraries and their loyalty program is better than the new Carnival one (it used to be a draw.) I also prefer their daytime entertainment.

However, overall I do not believe that there is a significant difference and choose based on itinerary and value rather than cruise line.

I cruised on Splendor when she was new and Oasis of the seas when she was new.

IMO Splendor won hands down. That was a massive surprise to me because I thought Oasis was going to be something really special. I just found it to be crowded and an operation in how much extra stuff they could sell to you everyday.

Everyone is different and that's just my opinion. My favourite cruise line is still P&O by quite a margin. I am quite young for a cruiser at 33 and I am a Brit so that might be the reasons behind my choice.

No P&O from FL so I am going Carnival again this summer and looking forward to it.

A while back I was trying to decide between a cruise on Carnival and one on RCCL. Having cruised on each, it was a toss up. I was younger then and I liked Carnival's itinerary better, so I chose Carnival. I remember being on our cruise and seeing the RCCL ship we would have been on had I chosen differently. The biggest feeling of regret came over me. That was my last cruise on Carnival. We didn't have a bad experience at all. I just think RCCL is a little classier. I personally don't enjoy the gaudy decor on the two Carnival ships I've been on.

That's what my friends and family say. They have all switched to Carnival except the in laws who like Princess better than them all. Of course they are 78 and 74. They sod go on one Carnival cruise with us and said it was a blast.

You are in the minority thanks god, because the Freedom sails every week to the max. Go see the prices. Btw my favorite ships are still the Freedom class.

That's the thing about opinions. They are comparable to a certain human orphus, we all have them and they usually stink.

:D

A while back I was trying to decide between a cruise on Carnival and one on RCCL. Having cruised on each, it was a toss up. I was younger then and I liked Carnival's itinerary better, so I chose Carnival. I remember being on our cruise and seeing the RCCL ship we would have been on had I chosen differently. The biggest feeling of regret came over me. That was my last cruise on Carnival. We didn't have a bad experience at all. I just think RCCL is a little classier. I personally don't enjoy the gaudy decor on the two Carnival ships I've been on.

I agree that, from pictures I have seen, Carnival has some really ugly decor. That said, the Dream was tamed down and the newest ship even more so. If you could give me a Radiance class ship along with the fun and food found on Carnival, you would have a pretty good cruise.

That's what my friends and family say. They have all switched to Carnival except the in laws who like Princess better than them all. Of course they are 78 and 74. They sod go on one Carnival cruise with us and said it was a blast.

Princess is a nice line. I think if I were 25 years older then I would put Princess at the top of my list.

I know this is Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean but we are getting ready to sail Carnival in September for the first time since a 3 night Bahama cruise in 2004, our first cruise. Since then it has been Disney and RCCL, sailing both this year.

We cruised with both, RC on Freedom of the Seas in Sept 2010 and Disney's Magic in January 2012, both a Western. I would, if the itineraries are the same, always choose Disney. We sail depending on where we want to go, mostly for the ports, not the cruise line. The price difference from RCCL, 7 night Western on Freedom was slightly higher than the price we are paying this September, two years later. Disney was about the same as RCCL for the Western.

my wife and I found Disney to be a much better experience all around where it truly counts. The service. Both cabin and dining room. Disney knows your name and likes and dislikes from the first night. RC never even takes the time to know your name in the dining room, although the cabin attendants have always been great with both cruise lines. The food also cannot compare. Disney is heads and shoulders over RCCL. RCCL 's buffets are just ok. MDR is about the same.

I'll post my comments after our September cruise and add Carnival to the comparison

I have only been on one cruise on Carnival Liberty. I didn't feel the need to go to the pay restaurant or dessert/coffee place as I received all I needed in the free locations. The food in the MDR was good, the service not so much. We are going on the Breeze in 2014. Our kids are 10 and 12. I have been looking at RCI as do want to try something different and maybe the kids will like the options it offers as they get older. The price for Oasis is way higher than the Breeze, and the itineraries are a little blah. Does RCI actually have a real sale, and if so when/what is it? Also some people who like Royal have some loyalty status that would give them perks that I as first time cruiser would not have, would I feel 2nd class?

I have only been on one cruise on Carnival Liberty. I didn't feel the need to go to the pay restaurant or dessert/coffee place as I received all I needed in the free locations. The food in the MDR was good, the service not so much. We are going on the Breeze in 2014. Our kids are 10 and 12. I have been looking at RCI as do want to try something different and maybe the kids will like the options it offers as they get older. The price for Oasis is way higher than the Breeze, and the itineraries are a little blah. Does RCI actually have a real sale, and if so when/what is it? Also some people who like Royal have some loyalty status that would give them perks that I as first time cruiser would not have, would I feel 2nd class?

I have never felt 2nd class on any cruise line, although some may have thought i was.:confused:

Also some people who like Royal have some loyalty status that would give them perks that I as first time cruiser would not have, would I feel 2nd class?

Absolutely not. Loyalty status on any line does not make the person who is new to the line or new to cruising in general feel 2nd class at all.

Joea32257- I also have taken over 17 carnival cruises in my lifetime perhaps more but speaking about the past six years I have to say we took the LOS twice, FOS four times and once the Fascination. We are taking the Dream this year only because we want to use Pt. Canaveral and the past four cruises we taken FOS and just want a change of scenery. RCI does not offer another 7 night cruise out of this port, Disney we never ever consider not want to be on a ship that gears all shows and everything to the disney characters and theme, not want to eat in a dining room that is all about disney and just too many kids.

Honestly on RCI we ALWAYS been asked our names from our MDR staff and they always remembered our names and addressed us by our names each evening we dined there. Even the bartenders would address our names. On the Fascination not once did they address our names although the cabin stewards on both cruise lines always did.

Service on Carnival was always a hit or miss but cabin stewards always address us by our names, not the MDR.

Having only done one of each I can only compare those two.

The royal ship was IMO way more appealing visually. Not the guady that we saw on carnival. However I don't think our experience was that different on each. There were things we liked better on royal and things we liked better on carnival but we had a great time on both. I think it just comes down to personal preference and what is important to you on a vacation.

This is also my experience. I really enjoy RC, and we have another booked with them for 2013, but we enjoy Carnival too, and will be sailing on Dream again in October.

I think they're both a lot more similar than different. And the differences sort of balance one another out.

RC ships are stunning, more elegant, but when we sail with Carnival, we know in advance the decor is going to be a little on the loud side. and we totally get that. We've had great service on both ships, but our 2008 RC cruise the service was lacking. I prefer the buffet layout on RC better (WJ rocks), but the food in the buffet on Carnival is just as tasty, AND we really enjoy the other food available around the Lido on Carnival. Kinda nice to be able to grab a burger in your bathing suit; and they're good burgers, too.

No difference really in activities on board. I preferred the shows on Carnival, but always enjoyed RC shows as well.

Cabins and service are same. I give Carnival the edge here because everyone gets a robe, and for now anyway, 24 hour room service is still complimentary.

Hmmm, I have read other posts I think from you... (name sounded familiar) and I have to TOTALLY disagree with you.

I am not sure what 'cutbacks' you are referring to.. and really don't care. Everything changes in this world. Hell I recall when Burger King (in the 1960's) served HOT DOGS!!!! Guess they "cutback" when they stopped serving them?

Ships are personal choice... I wasn't impressed with RCCL as a "better and sleeker" ship.

Everyone is different too. What I liked about one cruise line years ago I may detest now.

Personally, I don't like going to a mall when I am NOT on a cruise and I certainly don't like the 'mall' feel of the Promenade on RCCL. But that's me! I like being able to always see the sea out a window.

Also, I don't like being 'nickel and dimed' on a ship! Example...> for really good food pay extra for the private XYZ restaurant. If the food served in DR or buffet isn't edible... why would I pay extra?

Service needs to be friendly not stuffy for me. AND... PRICE is a big factor as I try to cruise 2-3 times a year! (As opposed to once at a higher price)

Yes I have been on Holland America, Cunard Costa, MSC, RCCL, Dolphin (hehe) and Carnival.

I have preferences... but my taste may not be yours...

DOC :cool:

I'm not for any particular cruise line but if you like to see outside all the time try the Radiance Class of RCCL.

Archived