Curious if your allowed to cash tip as you go?

Please I know how touchy "tipping" gets on here, I've unfortunately been sucked into a fight or two. This is not a a approve or disapprove thread. I want to know if you wanted to cash tip as you go through the cruise? Meaning lets say you order a drink, are you technically allowed to hand the waiter/waitress 2 dollars in cash? Or say you order room service, can you hand the delivery person 2 dollars in cash? I'm just curious as if its allowed. Thanks for any help.

As far as the beverages go, yes you can tip extra if you want, bear in mind there is an automatic tip of 15% added to your bill, pretty much standard with many main stream cruise lines.

We give cash tips for room service, as we don't know if the same person will be delivering our food/beverages every time. $2-5 depending on the service, per delivery.

I don't now why people get so twisted about tips. We don't want the people serving us to do it for nothing and we know we will pay it no matter what, leaving extra for exemplary service.

When you order a drink from a bar waiter the tip is automatically added to the bill that you sign. Don't think you can take that off but you can tip more if you want.

I always tip room service in cash-no other way to do it that I know of. There is no bill for the tip to be auto added.

you can cash tip anyone you want anytime...but you still have to pay the recommended tips per day per person

Outside the fee on alcoholic drinks, you don't HAVE to pay anything. Not fighting, just making the truth clear.

On cruises, tipping is traditionally offered on the last evening. That's why they call cruising a "cashless society".

Tipping for room service is done at time of delivery in cash....that's the only time it's really appropriate.

Whenever you buy a drink, 15% is already added to the cost as the tip. There is an additional line to add more, if you feel the need. 15% is ample for most drinks!

By doing the tipping according to the suggested guidelines, everyone who serves you gets what's coming to them as far as their tips go.

you can cash tip anyone you want anytime...but you still have to pay the recommended tips per day per person

Oh yes sorry, I should have mentioned that, I meant tip extra over the recommended or auto tips. Sorry for forgetting to mention that!:o

Please I know how touchy "tipping" gets on here, I've unfortunately been sucked into a fight or two. This is not a a approve or disapprove thread. I want to know if you wanted to cash tip as you go through the cruise? Meaning lets say you order a drink, are you technically allowed to hand the waiter/waitress 2 dollars in cash? Or say you order room service, can you hand the delivery person 2 dollars in cash? I'm just curious as if its allowed. Thanks for any help.

Yes, it is allowed. Just remember that any cash you give is over and above the mandatory 15% gratuity already added to the bill.

At the end of the cruise you may pay the tips in cash to your room steward and the waiters. You will get envelopes to put the cash in. Just make sure you did not pre-pay tips before you boarded or on your sea-pass account. We always tip with cash in the envelopes. Old school, but that is the way my Dad taught me 25 years ago!

No, you don't - that's why they are recommended. OP, if you put the tips on your Seapass, then you must pay the full amount. If you tip your cabin attendant and MDR waitstaff in cash, then you may leave whatever amount you choose. And room service tips are always in order.:)

No, you don't - that's why they are recommended. OP, if you put the tips on your Seapass, then you must pay the full amount. If you tip your cabin attendant and MDR waitstaff in cash, then you may leave whatever amount you choose. And room service tips are always in order.:)

...and let's not forget if you book My Time Dining you're required to prepay gratuities.

Why would you "not" be allowed?

Because I thought the cruise lines want a "cashless" society? They want that cashless society because there is no theft or fighting about money in general. I thought maybe the cruise lines do not want cash on board and maybe instructed staff to not take money. I would not want a crew member in trouble by handing them some cash. That is more of where I am coming from.

As far as the beverages go, yes you can tip extra if you want, bear in mind there is an automatic tip of 15% added to your bill, pretty much standard with many main stream cruise lines....

While 15% is added for the bar-tenders it is not given to the servers. So if we are sitting by the pool or in a theater getting ready to watch a show we will always give a couple of extra dollars to our bar server who brings the drinks to us.

While 15% is added for the bar-tenders it is not given to the servers. So if we are sitting by the pool or in a theater getting ready to watch a show we will always give a couple of extra dollars to our bar server who brings the drinks to us.

Are you sure that the tips aren't pooled amongst the bartenders and servers from one location?

Because I thought the cruise lines want a "cashless" society? They want that cashless society because there is no theft or fighting about money in general. I thought maybe the cruise lines do not want cash on board and maybe instructed staff to not take money. I would not want a crew member in trouble by handing them some cash. That is more of where I am coming from.

The staff aboard all Royal Caribbean ships are paid in cash.

Archived