When are HAL excursions posted?

Orangeguy

It varies a little, but you can get a rough idea of the cost of excursions very early (since you're 10 months out) by going HERE and entering the area and port name. One $ means under $50, two under $100, three under $150, and four the sky's the limit! I always figure that the actual price is at the high end of its range, like $89 for $$.

For what it is worth, we just got off of a 24 day HAL cruise and found their excursions to be more expensive than other cruise lines. We ended up doing private excursions in the major ports and DIY in other ports and saved more than half of the cost.

Everyday we did a private excursion I would come back to the room and compare the cost of what we paid to the ship tour and we did more for a lot less.

Just curious... Generally, when does HAL post their excursions? Trying to budget, and wanted to get an idea of how much room I should leave for shore excursions.

They seem to come out at different times but (from my experience only) within 6 months of the sailing date. Carol's tip is very good - you can also look at cruises that include those ports (on the same page) and then click shore excursions on the ones that are sailing shortly. The shore excursions will most likely be similar on your cruise as well as the prices.

They seem to come out at different times but (from my experience only) within 6 months of the sailing date. Carol's tip is very good - you can also look at cruises that include those ports (on the same page) and then click shore excursions on the ones that are sailing shortly. The shore excursions will most likely be similar on your cruise as well as the prices.

^ quote for truth about timing, btwn the 7 - 5 month before the cruise you should see bookable excursions online. That doesn't mean you can window shop by checking out the ports!

Also the excursions sometimes trickle as bookable, don't fall out of love with a port if your first choice isn't there as it might show up a little later.

Derek

I've been exchanging emails with the Shore Excursions office because excursions offered for a cruise that took place this year (I had printed the pages when I first became interested in the cruise) were not being offered on a similar cruise that takes place in 2013. The most recent response from them was that they do not firm up contracts with their vendors until 4 - 5 months prior to the cruise. The price ranges mentioned by catl331 are on the nose.

Excursions for our Oct 2012 cruise were posted five months before sailing.

Formerly it seemed as though excursions were posted about eight months out, but now they seem to be posted later.

I am curious as to whether some of the delay may be a result of giving deluxe suite guests an opportunity to book before other guests.

Excursions for our Oct 2012 cruise were posted five months before sailing.

Formerly it seemed as though excursions were posted about eight months out, but now they seem to be posted later.

I am curious as to whether some of the delay may be a result of giving deluxe suite guests an opportunity to book before other guests.

Doubt it -- for our cruise in March 2013 to the Panama Canal the excursions are already posted.

When excursions come out is more related to the "season" you are cruising in. For example the Fall/winter/Spring Caribbean season's excursions might come out in the prior May. So that is 5 months prior to a November cruise, but 8 or 9 months prior to a March cruise.

Thanks everyone!

I think it also doesn't help that most of our ports are less visited and we will be one of the earlier ships to visit them for the peak cruise season. I also recognize how expensive HAL excursions can be, I'm primarily looking to see what they offer then check and see if I can find it cheaper.

Archived