Superb Cruise on "Marina"

TRIANDA

Give me a break. chairs 3 1/2 inches higher. We were on Marina and had no problem with the chairs. Loves the ship and crew.

It depends on when you were on Marina

The early cruises the chairs were very low & hard for even short people to get up from

I am 5'4" with a bad knee ..it was a challenge

YMMV

FDR must have agreed as they were changed for the Riveira

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Good to know ..we will be on in Jan ;)

The Marina cruise we did with you & Marsha the chairs were certainly a problem for us also

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Thank you Lyn. We are enjoying ourselves as I am sure you will too.

There are some changes/improvements on the Riviera but overall it is the same wonderful O experience.

If you liked the Marina then you will like the Riviera as well.

Enjoy!

It depends on when you were on Marina

The early cruises the chairs were very low & hard for even short people to get up from

I am 5'4" with a bad knee ..it was a challenge

YMMV

FDR must have agreed as they were changed for the Riveira

Lyn

We were on in May/June and found no problem. Could be that they were fixed by then. Don't know. :):)

We were on in May/June and found no problem. Could be that they were fixed by then. Don't know. :):)

Most of the changes made to Riviera have since gravitated to Marina. One of the few that can't is the 8" higher ceilings in Polo/Toscana.

I guess because I valiantly tried to treat my addiction to these boards, I did not know about the 3-1/2" height difference in the chairs now onboard the "O" ships. I simply could not stand :) the public seating on Marina in June 2011, and part of my resistance to trying out Riviera was all that oh-so-short furniture.

Yippee!! January and May on Riviera; here I come! :D

Edited by CintiPam

I guess because I valiantly tried to treat my addiction to these boards, I did not know about the 3-1/2" height difference in the chairs now onboard the "O" ships. I simply could not stand :) the public seating on Marina in June 2011, and part of my resistance to trying out Riviera was all that oh-so-short furniture.

Yippee!! January and May on Riviera; here I come! :D

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, the chairs on Riviera are still lower than those on R ships but are now more manageable. They could use being even more "normal" :D

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, the chairs on Riviera are still lower than those on R ships but are now more manageable. They could use being even more "normal" :D

Oh, well, I will try not to let this affect my Riviera experience too much. Maybe Jim can assign a person to help me stand up if required.:)

Edited by CintiPam

I agree with CintiPam re: a problem with the designer seating, while beautiful, on Marina's maiden voyage at least, was not just the height but the depth of the seat.

Ironically there are complaints on this thread of the seats too low. *some* of the seating (not in GDR etc but general public areas such as in the alcoves on deck Reception deck (?4/5) and the 'Grand Bar' (aka passageway to the GDR) had seats too low for me (I'm am 6'). So an uncomfortable knees up.

Other seating was not just low but very deep front to back so those with shorter legs would have to either sit forward from the back in order to have their legs hang normally or sit to the back and have their legs stick out. Form over function and either no one sat in the seats or no one had the corporate where-with-all to say anything. Speaks to Corporate Culture.

On Riviera's 3rd/4th (?) cruise - how to count 'em after the delayed start, I only once sat in the Grand Bar area (only in order to have a drink & listen to the superb string quartet before dinner) and did not notice such a problem. Did not sit in the other public areas. Do not like the removal of the carpet in the Grand Bar and replacing it with cold hard stone. On that Riviera cruise not once saw anyone lounging about in that area except just before dinner. On Marina it was used by many readers as an alternative space to that newly designed library.

I am looking forward to the newly updated library on the R-ships but still with cozy comfortable seating.

While in Horizons on Marina a few months ago, I, too, found the chairs not too low - I'm short - but too deep. I solved the problem by taking a pillow from another chair and putting it behind my back. This way, my feet could go down to the floor instead of sticking out in front of me, and I still had the back support I need!