Two confirmed cutbacks!

Chocolates I get it...they cost money, many get tossed out anyway. I think that chocolates should be part of the environmental opt out program I have proposed on these boards... You select your choices to opt out of...ice, toiletries, printed cruise compasses, printed photos, bedtime chocolates etc, either online before boarding or with a form your steward leaves in the cabin. This way they only print/ replace items for pax who want them.

That's a great idea!:D

Been on 3 seven day cruises so far. Had three towel animals per cruise and no chocolate. i don't see a change. :p

How recent where your cruises? I usually sail once a year and got TA everyday except day 1.

We just got back from a 7 night cruise on Freedom of the Seas. We had a towel animal almost every night We took great care, saved them. Our steward reused the towels, I believe, to make our new animals. As far as chocolates, we didn't receive them on either of our cruises.

Just got off Oasis June 30 cruise. Had a Boardwalk Balcony and we are only Gold. So our experience is not in a suite or for upper CA levels.

I had a case of water as "luggage" and needed ice. I asked our cabin housekkeper, Ruddy, and with a little tip up front got ice and glasses twice a day.

We didn't get an animal the first night and since Ruddy was in the hall, I asked and he said they only do animals on nights 2, 4, and 6. Sure enough, night 2 we had a frog, and the eyes of the frog were chocolates. That was the only chocolate we got. Not bad, but not the best either.

Our morning service wasn't always done when we got back to the room after breakfast, but since we had late dinner Ruddy always took care of our room while we were out.

I will also add that when we first went to our room, Ruddy introduced himself, called us by name and had notes that we had late dining. He then asked if there was anything we needed. And always with a smile.

And I do agree, that since we don't cruise that often, I did miss the TA, didn't even think about missing the chocolates. But it's certainly not a deal breaker. I'd hope that they could do something for rooms with kids say under 10.

I did a search on this and it appears that we are allowed to bring non-perishable snacks with us on board. That would include a bag of Giradelli! ;)

This will save you a bundle by not having to upgrade to suite;)

No towel animals or chocolates? I would never even notice this stuff if not for Cruise Critic posts.

I can't believe this, Paul...I'm imagining you cuddling up with your towel monkey:p;)

Has to be the laundry cost, I never thought to use them after the obligatory photo. We almost never touch them, except to move them off the bed. But I have to imagine they can't reuse them. If they are going to cut back, this is an area I won't miss, but for so many its a big deal reminder they are on a cruise.

As for the chocolates, maybe they could put relevant advertising on them and get the advertisers to pick up the tab. While I don't want to have my cruise loaded down with ads while I'm cruising, one on a pillow with a taxi or local hotel info on it wouldn't be too bad.

Yes, it must be laundry then if so many of you don't end up using them, and the extra time it takes to make them, though, it is so little time really! Has anyone else watched the demo/class- they can do them so fast once they learn!

I do like the advert idea, Bill. I'm sure the characters and movies are a financial partnership, and I'm happy for anything that keeps the cost of my cruise low...I don't have to pose with Gloria unless I want to, but I see the savings either way!

We so did that once and I'm not even kidding! He laughed. :D

I made a towel animal on my last cruise and left it on the bed the last morning. I hope the cabin attendant got a kick out of it. I left before he saw it.

Found out from our cabin stewad this past week on Allure, that:

1. Towel Animals are now only made every other night. :(

2. Chocolates in stateroom only on formal nights! :eek:

DW sure going to miss them!

Not bothered about the chocolates - they were tasteless anyway, but towel animals!! Lets all go on strike.:D

Just got off Oasis June 30 cruise. Had a Boardwalk Balcony and we are only Gold. So our experience is not in a suite or for upper CA levels.

I had a case of water as "luggage" and needed ice. I asked our cabin housekkeper, Ruddy, and with a little tip up front got ice and glasses twice a day..

It was very nice to offer a tip to get ice, but it really is not necessary. ALL cabin attendants will bring water and ice. A while back, RCCL instituted a program where one simply had to ask for ice, rather than have it waiting in the cabin.

We've never had any issues getting ice (in fact two buckets) twice a day.

M

Found out from our cabin stewad this past week on Allure, that:

1. Towel Animals are now only made every other night. :(

2. Chocolates in stateroom only on formal nights! :eek:

We had no chocolates on our cruise on the Liberty this past March and the DW and kids missed them. A nice touch, but it is not a make or break item.

As for the towel animals...a real disappointment for our kids. They always rush back to the cabin to see what animal they discovered. For our next cruise we have connecting rooms with the kids in one room and the adults next to them. Maybe I can ask our cabin steward to do one every night in the kids' room and skip our room altogether for the towel animal???

Archived