Found out from our cabin stewad this past week on Allure, that:

1. Towel Animals are now only made every other night. :(

2. Chocolates in stateroom only on formal nights! :eek:

DW sure going to miss them!

That's the last straw I will never cruise again!

I can't figure out how towel animals cost any money:confused:

They are made with clean towels, can't take more than a few minutes to make one once you know how, and the steward could use the towels the next day in your bath if you haven't already used them ( we often do after taking a photo!)

Chocolates I get it...they cost money, many get tossed out anyway. I think that chocolates should be part of the environmental opt out program I have proposed on these boards... You select your choices to opt out of...ice, toiletries, printed cruise compasses, printed photos, bedtime chocolates etc, either online before boarding or with a form your steward leaves in the cabin. This way they only print/ replace items for pax who want them.

I can't figure out how towel animals cost any money:confused:

My guess is that people often toss the towel animal off the bed when they go to bed and it comes apart. The next day, the cabin steward takes the crumpled towels with the other used towels, and they are laundered, regardless of whether or not they were actually used. More laundry = more money on water/power/detergent. An extra towel x 1000 cabins x 7 nights x 20 ships is 140,000 extra towels being laundered each week. At even a fraction of that, I can see where it would add up!

I think the issue with the towel animals is that they take time to make and with cut-backs, the stewards are now responsible for more rooms, thus less time to make the animals. Chocolates have been gone for years (except for suites).

In the past few years we have only received chocolates on the big gal, Oasis. No other ships seem to offer them outside of suites. No big deal, the chocolate is not very good, IMO. The towel animals are cute but I won't miss them. I also do not use the towels after s/he's touched them, rolled them, folded them, etc. Just... no. :p

In the past few years we have only received chocolates on the big gal, Oasis. No other ships seem to offer them outside of suites. No big deal, the chocolate is not very good, IMO. The towel animals are cute but I won't miss them. I also do not use the towels after s/he's touched them, rolled them, folded them, etc. Just... no. :p

The suites have been getting Ghirardelli chocolates. Not too shabby. :D

Just back from a 7 night western med on Liberty aft cabin

towel animals were on night 2, 3 and 5

no chocolates at all

also noticed no glasses or ice bucket anymore

shops used to display the actual prices....... now all you see is 20% of this and 30% of that, but you have to look and find the actual price on a little sticker on the item.

photos are now $23.95 each

wendy

x

You select your choices to opt out of...ice, toiletries, printed cruise compasses, printed photos, bedtime chocolates etc, either online before boarding or with a form your steward leaves in the cabin. This way they only print/ replace items for pax who want them.

I love this idea -I'm with you on this one 100%!

I don't care for the chocolate anyway but I will miss the towel animals :(

Towel animals don't cost money.....learned on our last cruise that they cut back the # of room stewards....now each room steward has more rooms to take care of on a daily basis and there is just no time to be making towel animals.

They are being stretched to the limit.

There have been cutbacks in personnel in other areas as well.

The talking point staff kept saying is "you know, it's the economy"

Be happy you are still getting your room cleaned in a timely manner. I would be more concerned about those complaints than chocolates or towel animals.

How was your cruise, Chuck?

I know everyone is probably making tongue-in-cheek comments, but for those of us who can only cruise once in awhile, these tiny parts of the cruise do mean a lot! They are those little extra surprises that make the cruise that much more fun and unique way to spend a holiday.

I'll miss them both :(

Do you think you have a better chance of getting towel animals more often on the cruise if you have a preschooler on the cruise? I'm sure my son will love them.

I only recall getting chocolates on the Carnival ships. By the end of the week, we had a giant pile of uneaten chocolates.

I was worried this post was going to be about the elimination of the poolside Carribean band. I think they played a total of 2 hours on our last Liberty cruise.

My husband and I both LOVE the towel animals! We will certainly miss them if they are no longer a nightly surprise in our cabin. :(

Here is a great video if you would like to learn how to make them yourselves!

Archived