Must-try items on MDR menu ?

Lysingers

Sorry if there's already an existing thread on this subject, but we will be on the Summit next month, and I was wondering what those of you who have recently cruised with Celebrity would say are the not-to-be-missed items on their current MDR menu. I know food preferences are subjective, but as a transferee from the Royal Caribbean boards, I've seen this to be a well-visited topic which shows definite trends of what people think is good and what's not. It served us well on our cruise with them last summer, by alerting us in advance to the things that we really should try as well as those which were better left alone.

The mushroom soup. I believe it is called mushroom cappuccino soup.

To each bis own - We had that soup (or something similar) in Normandie and it was not to my liking, even though I usually love mushroom soup. The foam was really off putting.

To each bis own - We had that soup (or something similar) in Normandie and it was not to my liking, even though I usually love mushroom soup. The foam was really off putting.

When we sailed Celebrity Millennium I fell in love with the MDR's version of a goat cheese tart that was served in the specialty restaurant, The Olympic. So I naturally ordered Olympic's version of the dish when we dined there - Warm Goat Cheese Soufflé. I didn't care for it as much as what was served in the MDR. And I agree with you - not a fan of "foam".

OP, I loved the Lamb Shank Tagine Style (I think that's what it was called) and DH still talks about the seafood risotto. He also loved the mushroom soup served in the MDR.

The souffle is brilliant in the mdr. Also all lamb dishes are very well prepared by Celebrity.

Steer away from the risottos. It is impossible to make good risotto for a huge place as the mdr. If you know good risotto, you will probably be disappointed.

The beef cheeks used to be verrrrry good, but the average American passenger was not ready to try new thngs and the item has disappeared from the menu.

In general, the food in the mdr is of good quality . The xtra fee you mustmpay to dine in Murano/m-class Classic restaurants is not worth it in my humble opinion.

My vote is most any lamb dish and the onion soup. Note...onion soup is not on the Blu menu, but it is one of the things they have available every night :)

one more note...you can order a caesar salad any night WITH anchovies...you just have to ask.

I have to chime in with loving the lamb also, the short ribs were heavenly, and many of the chocolate desserts are very good. The MDR also does good things with vegetables, they were well prepared and not overcooked. I hope that hasn't changed!

Off the Summit yesterday and I thought that the food in the MDR this time around was amazing.

Things I loved.....

The Mushroom Capuccino (LOL the foam didn't bother me!)

The filet mignon (might have been tournedos of beef)

The Beef Wellington

The Spinach Turnover

The Trout with mashed potato (exquisite!)

The Shrimp Cocktail

The Tilapia with tomato sauce (yum) over pasta (yuk)

The bacon wrapped pork tenderloin (out of this world!)

Enjoy!

I have to chime in with loving the lamb also, the short ribs were heavenly, and many of the chocolate desserts are very good. The MDR also does good things with vegetables, they were well prepared and not overcooked. I hope that hasn't changed!

Another vote for the short ribs.

Another vote for the lamb - yummy! DH loves the French Onion Soup, which is available every night. And the Creme Brûlée is very good.

Boy, everyone sure seems to recommend the lamb dishes! I guess I'll have to get over my aversion to it and give it a try. I can't help but always recall how it smelled (bad!) when I was just a kid and my grandmother would make it for herself. (I imagine it was a cheap, poor-quality cut of meat from a really old sheep.)

So, besides the lamb, any more recommendations?

I had steak many nights on the Solstice and it was always done exactly to my specifications--very rare. I was happy about that because no waiter ever believes that any American really wants steak with any pink in it. Also, the fruit soups were good, as were the all the appetizers. Celebrity has a nice hand with small plate items.

My favorite was the coq au vin in the MDR. I also liked the mushroom soup. I also had the mushroom soup in the Bistro on 5. The worst dinner was the lobster tail on the last formal night. I also suggest having dinner at both specialty restaurants. Normandie was excellent....lot of class, great food, and fabulous service. Quine was a blast. Food was exciting and really good. Food in all venues is very good.

Archived